Enfield No. 4 for $150? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Enfield No. 4 for $150?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2010, 04:48 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Yeah, true dat! When I asked him for the marks, he could barely ready them without a magnifier. I hope to talk to him again today to get the production dates and the condition. He has had the rifle for many many years, but hasnt been able to shoot, hasnt fired the rifle in 20 years.

So as long as the furniture isnt cracked and splintered, (I dont mind some "age") and the receiver and action isnt seized with rust, and all the findings are there... I can take it to a smith and have it looked at. I recently passed on a Fabrica Armas 1927 7mm, so I'm pretty excited to get more info on this thing and have it checked out.

Old 03-14-2010, 06:13 PM   #12
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9509 Times on 4092 Posts
Likes Given: 1494

DO get a smith to check the headspace- the design of the Enfield rsulted in headspace increasing as the rifle is shot- but you can compensate to a degree by going to a higher number bolt head if necessary. I am still shooting Greek Milsurp ammo (really good, but getting scarce) and there are bunches of makers of civvy .303 Brit ammo out there.

IMHO, really good rifle, good cartridge. Accurate, enough power that folks HAVE moose hunted with them, but not unduly punishing of the shooter.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 03-14-2010, 07:14 PM   #13

Quick update.

Just talked to him again, he has not one but TWO of the No. 4's, production dates of 01/49 and 02/49, with the latter being the one selling for $150 in fair, but used condition. The 01/49, he says is mint and he'd be willing to sell also, but at a higher price, (reasonable and expected).

Hope to meet with him soon and take a look for myself.

He also mentioned an 1898 Mauser chambered in 8mm. Hmmm...

Old 03-15-2010, 01:39 AM   #14

Here are the pics! Everything matches, with the exception of the clip on the one dated 01/49. The clip is from the Longbranch factory.

The one with the darker furniture is the 01/49, and the lighter colored one is 02/49. The most noticable difference is the earlier model has grooves running parallel to the barrel in the top of the forend furniture, should be noticable in a couple of the pics.

In this next pic, you can see the grooves in the No. 4 on the left in front of the reciever.

Here again in this final pic, you can see the grooves in the No. 4 on top.

I'd be interested in your thoughts, I plan to buy them both!

Oh! Almost forgot, I was able to take a look at that 8mm. Mauser too! Stamped "1891" and under that, "Danzig"

Old 03-15-2010, 02:26 AM   #15

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh View Post
No4 Enfields are awesome. I thought all production had moved to No4mk2 by then. You really need to check the bore. Ammo is easy to find on the internet. For non-corrosive Prvi Partisan is hard to beat price and qaulity wise.
Edit: If it is a 1949, then it should be a No4mk2 as the mk1 production ceased in 1944.
Great point on the bore check. That said, where can a guy get an accurate bore gauge/kit that permits one to measure erosion on a rifle like this? (I know....I'll Google it... )

"Guns don't kill people. Male Kennedy's kill people."

Old 03-15-2010, 02:45 AM   #16
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9509 Times on 4092 Posts
Likes Given: 1494

Lovely rifles! FWIW, a throat erosion guage is about $60 plus shipping, Sneaked a peek at the Brownells catalog, did not see one in 303, but they have them in 30 cal, .223, etc. For that price, I would find a smith that already owns the guages, and pay him the $5-10 to check them.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 03-15-2010, 02:52 AM   #17

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Lovely rifles! FWIW, a throat erosion guage is about $60 plus shipping, Sneaked a peek at the Brownells catalog, did not see one in 303, but they have them in 30 cal, .223, etc. For that price, I would find a smith that already owns the guages, and pay him the $5-10 to check them.
Roger that. Thanks!

"Guns don't kill people. Male Kennedy's kill people."

Old 03-15-2010, 04:07 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Yep, I plan to have them checked out by a smith. I removed the bolts and looked down the barrels, and by no means am I a smith, but the one is very much coated in cosmoline as well as the action. I'm really diggin what I'm seeing, looks like a good find.

ST Leathercraft on FaceBook

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Blanchester-OH/ST-Leathercraft/101977654043?v=wall&ref=mf#!/pages/Blanchester-OH/ST-Leathercraft/101977654043?v=wall&ref=mf

Old 03-16-2010, 04:02 AM   #19

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

You got the markings down, here's what the great wiki god has to say on the subject

Marking Manufacturer Country

ROF (F) - Royal Ordnance Factory Fazakerley - United Kingdom

ROF (M) - Royal Ordnance Factory Maltby - United Kingdom

B - Birmingham Small Arms Co. Ltd - United Kingdom

M47C - Birmingham Small Arms Factory (Shirley) - United Kingdom

Longbranch - Longbranch Arsenal - Canada

US PROPERTY [S] - Savage Arms - U.S.

POF - Pakistan Ordnance Factories - Pakistan

Hey that's a really great price if the rifle is decent quality. Lots of SMLEs down here, they are pretty popular for service rifle competitions (not suprisingly since we lack semis) and most people seem to reload their own ammo. A few guys in my club shoot them in standard rifle division.

Check out the prices a good BSA 1943 No.4 goes for locally - over 1000 bucks!

Lawrance Ordnance - BSA No.4 Mk.I (1943) .303 Rifle

Illigitimi Non Carborundum - Don't let the bastards grind you down

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Yes, at WalMart, you can pick up a gun, ammo, ski mask and your antidepressants all in one trip. Darn convenient if you ask me...:D

Old 03-16-2010, 04:34 AM   #20

Oh wow! 'preciate all the info, thank you! One of the two I'm looking at has the sames grooves in the forend as yours. I plan to shoot em, as long as long as the smith gives them the ok.

I should be able to pick both of these up for $600.

ST Leathercraft on FaceBook

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Blanchester-OH/ST-Leathercraft/101977654043?v=wall&ref=mf#!/pages/Blanchester-OH/ST-Leathercraft/101977654043?v=wall&ref=mf