Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Elk/Mule Deer combo rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2007, 02:38 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Elk/Mule Deer combo rifle

I'm planning on a Elk/Mule Deer hunt next fall in Colorado and I'm looking for suggestions on a new caliber that would be suitable for both. I currently use a .270 Win for deer here in Nebraska but would like something with a little more punch. Any suggestions?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-29-2007, 04:41 AM   #2

A .270 certainly work fro that application. If you are looking for punch and good ballistics somthing in a .30 might better suit you. 300 Win Mag is certainly popular out here for both mule deer and elk. Like in my previous thread I am picking up a 7mm Rem Mag for the same type of hunting.

* Rom. 12:12

"The world has yet to see what God can do with and for and through and in a man who is fully and wholly consecrated to Him."
- Henry Varley to DL Moody

"I felt only as a man can feel who is roaming over the prairies of the far West, well armed, and mounted on a fleet and gallant steed." - Buffalo Bill

Old 10-29-2007, 09:01 AM   #3

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

No new caliber needed, unless you just want one. The venerable .270 is a very popular round used for Mule Deer and Elk around here. As always, make sure that you get in plenty of practice so you know you can make that shot. I also would suggest that you get the best premium bullet that you can in the best load that works in your rifle.

-Bidah

-Bidah

Old 10-29-2007, 12:56 PM   #4

Default Elk/Mule Deer.

The .270 will take care of both critters, the only thing I can think you are wanting to do is inprove your game taking range, the .270 is already a very flat shooter, you could step it up to a 7/mag, or a 300/winmag, I really am a huge fan of the 300 ULTRA MAG in my own personal opinion I think it is the most do all round out there, now that they have come out with the power level ammo, stag 1, 300 ultra mag, stage 2, 30-06, stage 3, .308 All from the same gun, what more could you ask for three of the worlds most popular rounds, in one gun, and all the hand loading is done for you, this round fills a huge gap on the higher end of the high powered 30 cal, for me this is an no brainer, Hands down the 300 ULTRA MAG is king of the 30 cal world, yes it is a little on the salty side but for hunting perposes it should not drain you to badly, the 300 ULTRA MAG is not a round that you want to sit at the range with all day long anyways, Its recoile is less than pleasent, to use as a shooter. Hope this helps.

If you run your just going to die tired!!!

Old 10-29-2007, 01:43 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

.270 has got to be the most versatile round there is. My dad took many deer and elk with his Winchester .270. All but a few were quick, clean kills.

Old 10-29-2007, 04:29 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2555 Times on 1342 Posts
Likes Given: 192

Default Elk/Mule deer

Nothing wrong with your gun/caliber. Go with a heavy bullet of good construction such as the Nosler partition or Winchester C/T failsafe and you will have no problems.
Unless you are looking for an excuse, er reason to buy a new gun. I would say .300WM. Hard to beat it. Ammo is more available than some of the newer short/ultra mags.

Old 10-30-2007, 03:43 AM   #7

I'm always looking for an excuse to buy a new rifle, who isn't? I've spent over a decade behind my .270. This will be my first out of state hunt, so why not start it off right, with a new rifle.

Old 10-30-2007, 04:12 AM   #8

Uncle Sam had me in Wyoming 20 years ago. I got my first mule deer with a 30-06 and did the rest of my hunting toting around a M-1A. It was heavy but did the trick.

Member GCO

Old 10-30-2007, 11:34 PM   #9

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by longshot View Post
I'm always looking for an excuse to buy a new rifle, who isn't? I've spent over a decade behind my .270. This will be my first out of state hunt, so why not start it off right, with a new rifle.
If you have spent that much time with it, then I would say that IS your best choice. Get a new one, but take the .270 as primary and the new one as backup..

-Bidah

-Bidah

Old 11-03-2007, 02:56 AM   #10

Default Elk/Mule Deer Combo Rifle

I've hunted mule deer and elk here in colorado for over twenty years and I prefer the 30-06 but it's really about what you feel confident shooting. The .270 is a fine round and if you're not sure of your bullet placement get a little closer. The high mountain meadows sometimes require a shot out to 3 or 4 hundred yards but there's been a time or too that the only thing I've seen was even farther out and a good .300 mag would have been the ticket. It always boils down to the accurate well placed shot and that's going to be the rifle you have shot enough to trust. If you want the new rifle, buy it and shoot it enough to have faith in that shot at the once in a lifetime memory. And good luck on your hunt!