Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Efficiency and practicality

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2011, 04:36 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Default Efficiency and practicality

Hey, new to this forum. I've been hunting for almost five years now. i've been using the Browning A-bolt Composite Stalker for the past 3 years, and recently made some money . So thinking of getting a rifle upgrade. thinking of buying the RMEF X-Bolt White Gold by browning

A-Bolt Composite Stalker, Centerfire bolt action deer and varmint hunting rifle with composite synthetic stock, Browning Firearms Product
^the A-bolt i own right now

RMEF X-Bolt White Gold, Bolt Action Deer Elk Big Game Hunting Rifle, Browning Firearms Product
^the RMEF X-bolt

I really like all the decoration and stuff, but i am wondering if its just gonna be a rifle in the showcase or is it practical and efficient of field. I've owned two Browning's till now and both of them are perfect.

What rifles (Bolt Action) do u suggest for big game hunting, especially Elk. And what do u prefer 325 WSM or 338 Win Mag?

What rifles do you suggest instead of the one i want for Big game? (need not have to be browning)

Thanks

Last edited by 94browninghunt; 11-05-2011 at 04:39 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-05-2011, 05:59 PM   #2

Liked 674 Times on 463 Posts
Likes Given: 681

I have a Savage 110 in 7mm Remington Magnum. Does the job. Also an 8x57 or .30-06 will do fine out to 400 yards on Elk. The .325WSM only has a 100 to 150fps advantage over the 8x57 w/ 175 or 180gr bullets, not much of an advantage. It equates to about 50 yards range for retained energy sufficant to kill Elk easily.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 11-05-2011, 06:38 PM   #3
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1744 Times on 949 Posts
Likes Given: 547

What is your present caliber? As JP said the 7mm RM is plenty for elk. The 338 would be good if you are planning to go to Alaska for bear or moose. Even there the 7mm RM would work. I used a 270 on elk and it worked fine.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 11-05-2011, 07:42 PM   #4

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

thank you JP, thank you JTJ, i currently use a 300 win mag, but im gonna try my hand at Elk with my grandpa and dad for the first time, unsure what to expect.

Old 11-05-2011, 08:11 PM   #5

Liked 2442 Times on 1391 Posts
Likes Given: 1910

I generally look for that for which I'll be able to find ammo and accessories

easily. Short answer, .308 for short range, 30.06 for the larger game or longer

ranges. There's just so much stuff readily available for them already on the

shelf.

The ammo selection in some LGSs for 30.06 is eye-crossing. To say you

have a reasonable selection is an understatement.

Old 11-05-2011, 11:02 PM   #6

Liked 674 Times on 463 Posts
Likes Given: 681

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94browninghunt View Post
thank you JP, thank you JTJ, i currently use a 300 win mag, but im gonna try my hand at Elk with my grandpa and dad for the first time, unsure what to expect.
You have a caliber that is more then adequate for elk. Any quality bullet 180gr and up will work well. The big plus is knowing the rifle. I would not worry one bit. Take a good broad side shot in the boiler maker and you will be fine.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 11-06-2011, 12:06 AM   #7
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 20076 Times on 11420 Posts
Likes Given: 50635

i have to agree, that 300 win. mag. is very capable of taking an elk, even at good distance and also if you shoot it on a regular basis, then it should work just fine for you. but if you want to add another browning in a different caliber, i say go for it! a person can never have too many firearms. good luck with your elk hunt.

Old 11-06-2011, 08:50 AM   #8

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Thank you all for good info. Good hunting!

Old 11-06-2011, 12:10 PM   #9
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 20076 Times on 11420 Posts
Likes Given: 50635

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94browninghunt View Post
Thank you all for good info. Good hunting!
good luck on your elk hunt and hope you get a big one, BTW, send me a hind quarter!

Old 11-08-2011, 12:01 AM   #10

Liked 121 Times on 86 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94browninghunt
Hey, new to this forum. I've been hunting for almost five years now. i've been using the Browning A-bolt Composite Stalker for the past 3 years, and recently made some money . So thinking of getting a rifle upgrade. thinking of buying the RMEF X-Bolt White Gold by browning

A-Bolt Composite Stalker, Centerfire bolt action deer and varmint hunting rifle with composite synthetic stock, Browning Firearms Product
^the A-bolt i own right now

RMEF X-Bolt White Gold, Bolt Action Deer Elk Big Game Hunting Rifle, Browning Firearms Product
^the RMEF X-bolt

I really like all the decoration and stuff, but i am wondering if its just gonna be a rifle in the showcase or is it practical and efficient of field. I've owned two Browning's till now and both of them are perfect.

What rifles (Bolt Action) do u suggest for big game hunting, especially Elk. And what do u prefer 325 WSM or 338 Win Mag?

What rifles do you suggest instead of the one i want for Big game? (need not have to be browning)

Thanks
I have a pair of the white gold x bolts what a fine rifle one is a 300win the other a 270