Drop Charts

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Drop Charts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2012, 11:27 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 1

Default Drop Charts

A question for you long range guys. If you are working up drop charts, how accurate are they? Of course, it's always good to check them. I am just curious how close they actually are the first time you take them out to check them? I haven't done one yet but am just curious how good they work I guess.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-06-2012, 01:12 AM   #2

Liked 749 Times on 524 Posts
Likes Given: 793

Lots of variables, temperature is huge. Ammo can, and does vary from lot to lot as do reloads when changing lots of powder. For hunting it is not that big a deal, but after zeroing at 100 yards, it gives you clicks on your scope that should put you on at further distances. Are you using a ballistics calculator to begin with?

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 01-06-2012, 01:46 PM   #3

Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh View Post
Lots of variables, temperature is huge. Ammo can, and does vary from lot to lot as do reloads when changing lots of powder. For hunting it is not that big a deal, but after zeroing at 100 yards, it gives you clicks on your scope that should put you on at further distances. Are you using a ballistics calculator to begin with?
Yeah, that's my plan. I won't be shooting any target, just for hunting purposes. I am hoping to practice enough to be good enough to kill a deer at 600yds someday. I have a scope that has the target turrets on it so I can dial my drops in. Is there a specific ballistics calculator that you would recommend? I've played around with the one on the Berger website and the Huskamaw website a few times. If there are some other good, user friendly ones that are known to be accurate, I'm all ears. Thanks.