Dope card
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion >

Dope card

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2013, 01:34 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 16 Times on 7 Posts

Default Dope card

Ok so I have the amount of bullet drop in inches and I'd like to convert it to how many "clicks" on my scope I need to adjust? My scope adjustment is 1 click =1/4 moa

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-22-2013, 01:43 AM   #2
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 11003 Times on 4766 Posts
Likes Given: 1808

For practical purposes, 1 minute of angle is 1 inch at 100 yards, 2 inches at 200, 3 inches at 300, etc.

To change point of impact by 3 inches, that would be 12 clicks at 100 yards, 6 at 200, etc. Remember it is ANGLE- so as the point of impact moves away, even though angle stays the same, the amount of distance becomes greater.

Old 04-22-2013, 12:51 PM   #3

Liked 1321 Times on 750 Posts
Likes Given: 636

As long as you know the velocity and ballistic coefficient of the bullet being shot,you can use a ballistic calculator to get your scope dope.
There are several ballistic calculators available online,some are pretty basic,others are in depth of many variables.
I use the JBM Ballistic Calculator for all of my dope cards. For me,it is the best that I've used,and if I've done all my inputs correctly,it's dead on at any range. I print out the info,and tape it to my rifles.Then all I have to do in the field is range the target(animal),and turn the turrets,pull the trigger.

http://www.jbmballistics.com/ballistics/calculators/calculators.shtml

On my 25/06,I taped the dope card to the stock under the action.I hunt with this rifle a lot,and can see this info very easily by just tilting the rifle a little while being shouldered.
Dope card - General Rifle Discussion

The 6.5 Creedmoor has a drop magazine,so I had to put the dope card on the side of the stock on the butt. It is still very easy to read quickly,and then crank the turrets.
Dope card - General Rifle Discussion