You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion >

Does Parker Hale make good guns

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2014, 09:17 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Does Parker Hale make good guns

I Am looking for a new gun and I don't know what a good is a gun I want a 7mm rem mag

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-03-2014, 02:41 AM   #2
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 14072 Times on 5951 Posts
Likes Given: 2341

Your question should be: DID Parker-Hale make good rifles? Before they got out of the gunmaking business, they made VERY good rifles- including long range sniper rifles- and they pretty much introduced the hammer forged rifle to Britain.

Unless someone wanted to make me a REALLY sweet offer, and I was looking for a working gun, I would look at something in production where I could get parts. (Said the old man that collects .22 rifles made in the 1940s)

I am personally partial to Browning- expensive but worth it. Savage has been making very decent bolt guns for a good price- but this is one of those questions you can ask 6 of us- and get at least 7 answers.
People Like This 
Old 11-03-2014, 02:47 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2338 Times on 1476 Posts
Likes Given: 5768

Quote:
Originally Posted by reecesinclair17 View Post
I Am looking for a new gun and I don't know what a good is a gun I want a 7mm rem mag
I have to agree with C3 on Parker Hale being a good gun and they haven't been made for awhile. Just out of curiosity what got you interested in Parker Hale?

Old 11-03-2014, 04:53 AM   #4

Just a Friend of mine has one that he said he whould sell to me

Old 11-03-2014, 05:03 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Just a Friend of mine has one that he said he whould sell to me
If you don't mind me prying what are you wanting to use it for and what caliber is that Parker Hale? And the only reason I ask is because there are a lot of good guns out there to choose from but some guns are much better at fulfilling specific needs. For example a 7mm Mag is a great hunting caliber for big game especially at long distances but it's not particularly good for just shooting at the range because of all the recoil and the expense of the ammo.

Old 11-03-2014, 06:08 PM   #6

It is a 7mm rem mag yes I am planing on hunting big game wraith it

Old 11-04-2014, 05:57 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
It is a 7mm rem mag yes I am planing on hunting big game wraith it
The 7mm Mag is a great big game round and a lot of people swear by it. Parker-Hale is also a great gun but that gun is going to have some age on it. There's no telling how well it's going to shoot and for a 7mm mag you want a very accurate rifle. The advantage of the 7mm mag is distance but you have to have an accurate rifle to go along with a powerful round to shoot game a long ways out. If the rifle isn't that accurate then there is no point in taking the extra recoil of a 7mm mag.

The game you are planning on hunting is also important. For deer I wouldn't go with a 7mm mag unless you plan on shooting long distances. There are just to many other calibers that will work just as well with a lot less recoil for deer out to 300 yards. Elk are a different story, and the 7mm mag would be a great caliber if you plan on hunting both.

Where you live is going to be a factor as well. There are a lot of places where you are lucky to find a place you can shoot 100 yards such as in parts of the south. There is no need to get a long range rifle if you live in a place where you will almost never shoot long distances. Out west is a different story. Where you are going to hunt matters as well because you can still find places to shoot long distances even in the south such as farm land, but you have to have access to such places.

Finally there is the gun itself. I love old rifles and I love tinkering with them to get them to shoot well. A rifle with that much age on it will probably need a little work to get it to shoot tight groups. If you are willing to put in some effort to get it to shot tight groups then it might make a truly great rifle. And that's assuming the barrel is in good shape, which it most likely is because most hunting rifles aren't used that much. Most 7mm mags aren't used that much either because of the recoil and cost of ammo. So with some effort you can probably get that gun to shoot very well but that isn't guaranteed and that's just a chance you take with older rifles. But if you can get it to shoot tight groups then you will have something special. Most of today's rifles aren't even in the ballpark as those older ones in terms of quality. But most of the new ones are pretty accurate right out of the box.

Just some stuff to think about.
c3shooter Likes This 
Old 11-05-2014, 06:39 AM   #8

Liked 559 Times on 357 Posts
Likes Given: 1330

Parker Hale made some fine rifles years ago. i have run across a few over they years at gun shows. usually stupidly priced.

how familiar are you with shooting a 7mm Magnum? it's not the lightest recoiling round there is, and for sure not cheap to shoot.

if you do decide to buy the rifle, i hope you will give it the respect and attention a rifle of that caliber deserves. i have seen several very nice rifles gone under the butcher's blade in an attempt to make them something they were never meant to be in the first place. always made me sad to see a nice rifle have that happen to it.

Old 11-05-2014, 10:58 AM   #9

Liked 791 Times on 394 Posts
Likes Given: 41

They did and I owned a .303 on a Mk4 action that was made by Parker Hale(non military commercial model).

I wish I didn't sell that rifle as it had the factory 5 shot mag BUT it also took the military 10 shot mag as well.
It was a good rifle and certainly worked well on pigs and goats.
I would definitely not worry about reliability problems but if your not real sure get a gunsmith to look at it first.

Old 11-05-2014, 11:04 AM   #10

Liked 2225 Times on 1528 Posts
Likes Given: 820

I would not be shy about hunting with a 7mm, even if I never planned to shoot a deer further than 45 yards. I want a deer to go down with a well placed shot. I don't want the deer running off to have someone else gutting the deer when I find it. I want the deer dead, instantly. I shoot a 12ga shotgun slug for those reasons. The 7mm would would just be a high speed, low drag, slug.

I would look for a well made gun with classic lines. I would get a Browning or a Weatherby with a nice walnut stock.

Last edited by John_Deer; 11-05-2014 at 11:13 AM.