Does dpms make good rifles? - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Does dpms make good rifles?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2013, 01:36 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2848 Times on 1687 Posts
Likes Given: 1874

i had this very dilemma as well. that dpms look so dang appealing on that wal mart counter....when i was looking at them, they were UNDER 600 i think.

then i started to really question and look up reviews on them.....and it was sketchy to say the least. pretty much a 50/50 between they're great and they're crap (this from owners mostly). however, i also heard a bunch of bad talk about the mini 14, and that has turned out to be a great rifle in my experience. i think likely the dpms is a good rifle as well.

i skipped the dpms, paid a bit more and got an s&w sport for about 75 more. i have never regretted it. the s&w had almost NO negative reviews and add me to the positives! however, someone on this board told me that s&w quit making the better barrels on the sport....that is shame!

still, i'd likely go s&w sport or mini 14 over the dpms. ignore the mini hate, the new models are great guns. and the sport is also a great gun imo.

Old 07-02-2013, 02:07 PM   #22
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1043 Times on 706 Posts
Likes Given: 555

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehavoc
This is some funny s**t!

Old 07-02-2013, 03:54 PM   #23

Liked 1129 Times on 734 Posts
Likes Given: 2017

I built a economy rifle for a friend and I used a DMPS 1:9 twist complete upper, $399 with BCG and CH , It runs everything , and to top that it is one of the most accurate 16" non target model ARs I have shot .5 MOA with 62 gr ammo , Built another from a different friend , it runs everything also , not as accurate but it will still shoot 1.5 MOA with sub par steel ammo .
Heres what I personally think . You will always find a hell of alot more posts from people coming on the forums when they have a problem then you will if their gun runs fine . Who is going to bother getting on here and say hey My " enter name here " gun runs perfect , I dont need any help with anything , but you will always find the My "enter name here" gun has a problem , it wont feed, cycle, extract, blah blah blah . DMPS is not bad quality , every manufacturer out there is going to run into a snag and when someone comes on the forums, post up the problem the wolves come running to devour the name brand . I have only had 2 rifles that have ever had a problem one I built for someone that came as a pre assembled upper and come to find out the gas black was off center and it was short stroking , I fixed it before it ever left my hands , the second was my own on a upper I built and it was just a tight chamber that wouldnt run steel , which is now fixed and running properly .
Now there are brands I stay away from because its my personal preference , I dont like carbon uppers , wont use one , wont even suggest anyone use one as there is just too much going on in the upper to have that kind of material up there , its just be scrap carbon pieces and carbon dust epoxied together , The top rail is laminated onto the upper and I have seen 3 of these separated which I believe was from high heat . carbon lowers are ok and poly lowers are ok they all work , I myself wont use one , but there isnt that much going on in the lower for me to worry about it . They make great .22lr builds or bargain rifles if your just looking for a weekend plinker .,
Hell I have seen a BCM , PSA, CMMG, Noveske , and a LMT all have issues , some of these were improper lubrication , Magazine issues , bad quality control on a BCG that should have never left the factory , and one that just wouldnt run steel cased ammo for nothing . These were big name brands. At some point in time EVERY MANUFACTURER will let a turd slip out the door , ITS JUST HAPPENS , 9/10 they will take care of the problem and have a happy customer .
Buy what you can afford , have no regrets , be safe and have fun . If someone doesnt like your rifle Fok em #1 its not theirs #2 they didnt spend their hard earned cash it to make a decision for you . Remember all these black rifles are all compatible with each other , its just a different dress on ever one of them so they look different . Its like a Barbie Doll for men

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens
People Like This 
Old 07-02-2013, 04:28 PM   #24
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2552 Times on 1247 Posts
Likes Given: 1285

I would not say they are bad. Because a good black gun that shoots well and is reliable they are a good gun.
But as stated if I was going to buy one to pass down after years of use there are higher quality ARs in the market. I could tell a lot of stories but that is not the point here. If it is in you prefered price range and it works you are good to go. BUt if it doesn't you have bought yourself a can of worms. The old saying applies when it comes to ARs and quality parts and accessories. You get what you pay for! Why not build yourself a quality lower and purchase a quality upper for it. One thing it is what you like! one

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 07-02-2013, 06:02 PM   #25

Liked 23 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 2

DPMS makes a good rifle. I upgraded mine with a few goodies (Timney trigger, free float for end, ergo pistol grip, optics etc.). The BCG is stock and so is the barrel. Runs, shoots great....no issues.

Old 07-02-2013, 06:36 PM   #26

Liked 1129 Times on 734 Posts
Likes Given: 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by crockett007 View Post
DPMS makes a good rifle. I upgraded mine with a few goodies (Timney trigger, free float for end, ergo pistol grip, optics etc.). The BCG is stock and so is the barrel. Runs, shoots great....no issues.

I like the slick side look, very clean looking nice stick

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens

Old 07-03-2013, 02:22 AM   #27
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1196 Times on 686 Posts
Likes Given: 574

Like Purehavoc said,You only read negative post on the different brands on almost any forum you get on,or you have the brand snobs that only like what they have and shoot.
Over the years I've built several AR's and used Model 1 Sales complete uppers. I've never had a single problem out of their uppers,but look on the net,and everyone cusses their stuff and claims everything on them breaks or is sub-standard.
While DPMS might not be top shelf,they are far from the bottom of the barrel when it comes to AR's. Their trigger groups are horrible,and need to be upgraded 1st thing.

My LR-260H had a problem out of the box with the buffer spring,and to this day DPMS doesn't know where the spring that was in my rifle came from. It had a heavy duty spring in it that DPMS says they don't carry,but it was shipped with this spring in it.I was at the dealer's when he cut the sealing tape on the box.
I swapped out the spring,and everything is fine.
Nothing made by man is perfect,and sometimes mistakes happen and make it out the door to the customer.I learned this many years ago,and instead of whining,bitching,crying about it on a forum,I just fix the problem and enjoy the product after it works like it should.

My RRA 458 SOCOM is a mid-length gas system,and if you read all the negative post on the 458 forum about them,you probably wouldn't buy one. Most people that have them don't know how to load cartridges for the mid-length upper's,and have tons of cycling problems.
I've never had a single cycling problem out of mine,and it has never seen a factory cartridge inside a magazine. But,If you look at what's on the net,you'd probably go buy a carbine length gas system in that caliber.
People are too lazy or too stupid to try and trouble shoot any type of problems that they have with anything today!

Lifetime Member-
NRA
Texas State Rifle Association
North American Hunting Club

gunnut07 Likes This 
Old 07-03-2013, 03:07 AM   #28

Liked 14 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

They make a fine rifle. I provide them for many police departments without any issues or problems. Like all weapons systems you have to make sure you get the options you want. If you want a chrome lined barrel and/or bolt group, you need to make sure the rifle you are looking has what you want. You will see that on any forum, when any brand is discussed, there will be those who support it and other's who disparage it. DPMS has been making rifles for a long time with great results.

Steve

People Like This 
Old 07-05-2013, 07:33 AM   #29

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehavoc View Post
Hahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!! Exactly how alot these fancy pants pricks are on this sight, the reason why a rarely get on it anymore!!!
Old 07-06-2013, 07:47 PM   #30

Liked 14 Times on 11 Posts

Do you think if you recommend a Hi Point or a Taurus to the dog on the left that his head would explode?