Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Does dpms make good rifles?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2013, 01:37 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 319 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 399

I have a couple DPMS rifles and the are just like every other AR out there. Never had a single problem with them. They all shoot to acceptable accuracy and will hold their own with any of the other budget AR's out there. Not sure why all the hate.

I have one DPMS basic flattop 16" that will shoot 1/2" at 100 yards.

Old 07-01-2013, 02:08 PM   #12

Liked 1116 Times on 725 Posts
Likes Given: 1990

Oh fabulous , I get to use it again

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens

Last edited by purehavoc; 07-01-2013 at 02:14 PM.
People Like This 
Old 07-02-2013, 12:52 AM   #13

I would just like to know from all the people bad mouthing DPMS. How many have you owned?

Old 07-02-2013, 01:22 AM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 191 Times on 128 Posts

Other companies have better workmanship and use higher quality parts. PSA, BCM, etc.

If guns kill people, mine are defective.

Old 07-02-2013, 01:31 AM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6747 Times on 3669 Posts
Likes Given: 5796

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnut07 View Post
I would just like to know from all the people bad mouthing DPMS. How many have you owned?
Zero, but have one friend whom I go shooting with often that bought one new in Anchorage. After I watched him get disgusted with it and jamming, he sold it. Before I went out and bought one, i researched a lot on the internet and saw many threads with jamming issues and DPMS. More threads than I cared to risk buying one. But as I said in my initial post, if you get one that works as is designed, then good for you, that is what they are intended for.

If any gun works when the hammer is dropped, then its a good one. Wether a Jennings, or a Sig.

Old 07-02-2013, 02:20 AM   #16

Liked 385 Times on 250 Posts
Likes Given: 1371

for the money its hard to beat DPMS.
I've owned a Delton, which is an entry level company like DPMS and never had a single problem with it.
And I do own some $2000-$2500 AR's which are not perfect however..

No rifle is ever perfect.
The more you spend, the nicer you get but at some point its a law of diminishing returns.
if your budget says under 700 USD then you cna get a reliable gun for that form DPMS or Delton.
Smith makes a entry level MP15 sporter for the same price as those other. but the barrel steel is not better and it doesnt have a dustcover

PS: Some are recommending BCM etc, however those start at twice the price ...

Primary Rifle:
LWRC M6A2 w/ Eotech512

Primary Handgun:
Ruger GP100 Royal Phoenix

Last edited by bluez; 07-02-2013 at 02:24 AM.
axxe55 Likes This 
Old 07-02-2013, 02:36 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna_Purna View Post
Zero, but have one friend whom I go shooting with often that bought one new in Anchorage. After I watched him get disgusted with it and jamming, he sold it. Before I went out and bought one, i researched a lot on the internet and saw many threads with jamming issues and DPMS. More threads than I cared to risk buying one. But as I said in my initial post, if you get one that works as is designed, then good for you, that is what they are intended for.

If any gun works when the hammer is dropped, then its a good one. Whether a Jennings, or a Sig.
So you never owned one. You seen 1 in action. Then looked at gun forums. Where many people just like here HATE on DPMS for no other reason than I seen this thread on a gun forum that said they suck. So really you have ZERO real world experience with DPMS and that qualifies you to bad mouth a gun.

I have owned and build my share of AR's never met a DPMS I wouldn't own. But you all keep spreading the hate, that way I can buy more of them for dirt cheap..... I too have some very expensive AR's that will shoot 1/4" or better groups at 100 yards.
Old 07-02-2013, 02:48 AM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6747 Times on 3669 Posts
Likes Given: 5796

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnut07 View Post
So you never owned one. You seen 1 in action. Then looked at gun forums. Where many people just like here HATE on DPMS for no other reason than I seen this thread on a gun forum that said they suck. So really you have ZERO real world experience with DPMS and that qualifies you to bad mouth a gun.

I have owned and build my share of AR's never met a DPMS I wouldn't own. But you all keep spreading the hate, that way I can buy more of them for dirt cheap..... I too have some very expensive AR's that will shoot 1/4" or better groups at 100 yards.
lol

Im sure some people who drive their hondas like their cars just as much as some who own mercedes and BMW's.

I said I have seen one friend personally who has had that experience first hand, and several other experiences with friends who own DPMS's that I shoot with on occasion, and thought they were magazine malfunctions. (Magpul 2nd generation) Funny thing was they worked fine in my Windham AR

And its hard to spread the hate when you are spreading the love for them. Good luck buying next time with those rising stock prices you just created! lol

and you probably own a NCstar scope and like it???

Last edited by Anna_Purna; 07-02-2013 at 02:55 AM.

Old 07-02-2013, 03:51 AM   #19

Liked 183 Times on 143 Posts
Likes Given: 89

I have never owned a DPMS but they recently sold out to the Freedom Group the same people who fracked up Remington and Marlin, so I would be very leery of owning one for that reason alone, and yes I have owned several Freedom Group firearms and I won't be buying another, they have the worst QC of any company in the history of firearms IMHO and their customer service is a joke. They are so bad I am boycotting everything CCM even reloading components. I cannot say that they have ruined DPMS (yet) but I would rather spend a little more $$$ then be kicking myself later.

Old 07-02-2013, 08:02 AM   #20

Liked 81 Times on 64 Posts

I think im just going to buy an ak syle rifle for that price then i wont need to worry about jams!