Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Does dpms make good rifles?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2013, 04:16 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 81 Times on 64 Posts

Default Does dpms make good rifles?

Today i was at walmart and this was at my walmart for only 617$!!! Is this to good to be true? Right next to it was a diamond back ar15 for a little more it looked alot nicer should i consider buying one? There was a couple of boxes of 223 on the shelf too!

image-2068603947.jpg

Dmps sporter

image-3800303559.jpg  

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-28-2013, 04:27 PM   #2

Liked 621 Times on 368 Posts
Likes Given: 1580

DPMS rifles are not bad, but there are far better rifles at the same price point. You should be able to get the S&W Sport for about the same price, or if you are willing to spend in the $750 range you can build a PSA.

Old 06-30-2013, 11:48 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5485 Times on 3105 Posts
Likes Given: 4763

DPMS are economy AR-15s. They are reasonably accurate, very reliable and a little crude in fit and finish.

If you're a true AR enthusiast, then no. You don't want one. OTOH, if you're looking for a low cost shooter for taking out on the weekend and shooting a box or two of ammo, they will serve you well.

Definitely no snob appeal, but a solid rifle. I'd rather have one DPMS AR than a dozen Mini-14s.

Golda Meier.
NC1760 Likes This 
Old 07-01-2013, 07:59 AM   #4

Liked 81 Times on 64 Posts

Id like to only own one in my lifetime and pass it down to my kids is this dpms worth buying or should i keep looking and spend a little more?

Old 07-01-2013, 08:53 AM   #5

Liked 181 Times on 134 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus
DPMS are economy AR-15s. They are reasonably accurate, very reliable and a little crude in fit and finish.

If you're a true AR enthusiast, then no. You don't want one. OTOH, if you're looking for a low cost shooter for taking out on the weekend and shooting a box or two of ammo, they will serve you well.

Definitely no snob appeal, but a solid rifle. I'd rather have one DPMS AR than a dozen Mini-14s.
Easy on the mini hate lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by hq357
Id like to only own one in my lifetime and pass it down to my kids is this dpms worth buying or should i keep looking and spend a little more?
I don't own one but personal opinion, If I was going to buy a complete AR in the 6-800$ range it would b a psa or m&p.

Old 07-01-2013, 10:20 AM   #6

Liked 203 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Lot of us have been handed down rifles and pistols from our dad or grandfather, uncle, etc that may have had little value, even at that time, other than familial. If you are on a budget and want something that is cheap, shoots, and good enough for LEO, then go for it. Chances are, most people won't know the difference if you told them it was a dpms or a 6920 or a wyxz.

Old 07-01-2013, 11:35 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6747 Times on 3669 Posts
Likes Given: 5796

DPMS does make a few top end guns, but their lower end line of guns have a reputation for jamming, a lot. If you get one that is jam free, then it was made to do what they do.
Now that AR's are coming back down to even below last years scare prices, there can be some good deals out there.
If you want a better quality one, watch this sight daily and get a local FFL dealer ready to transfer one for you. They had a Stag for 777.00 3 days ago, a rock river for 749.00 and a Palmetto for 697 a week ago. All of these blow away DPMS in quality.

Old 07-01-2013, 11:47 AM   #8

Liked 374 Times on 243 Posts
Likes Given: 4

My DPMS A2 Classic has never let me down. Like any other tool, it's performance and life span depend on how it's cared for. You can spend thousands for a high end AR. Abuse and/or neglect it, and it'll fail.
Old 07-01-2013, 12:39 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1823 Times on 1068 Posts
Likes Given: 876

I have owen and/or used Colt, Stag arms, DPMS, S&W, Bushmaster, Ruger, Armalite, American Tactical, some individually built ones, and probably some I have forgotten (old fartitus) and I have never had any major problem with any of them. It is just a matter of individual preference as for brand. Unless you are definitely going in 'harms way' I would not have a problem with any of them. If I were ask to go back into harms way I would 'customize' whichever I had to be 100% reliable and accurate. I am now using a SR-556 and am very pleased with it.

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

People Like This 
Old 07-01-2013, 01:23 PM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5464 Times on 2854 Posts
Likes Given: 354

Depends on what you want out of it.

For accuracy i would look at something closer to an A2 type from rra with a full 20" barrel. For sheer quality bcm.

Dpms is kinda like that old sears single shot shotgun grandad leaves you in his will. It was grandpa's its an all beat to hell piece of junk but it was grandpa's gun.

I really dont think i would tag my memmory of me for my kids if i had em to a dpms budget gun. I would prolly do some shopping and hunting for a nice winchester model 70 classic in 30-06.

The dpms budget will make a decent weekend plinker but i lump into ar15 clone category. They look like one and accept most ar15 parts and can be upgraded but they are in the same class as the cheap remington autoloading deer rifles.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...