Do you prefer the rifles of today or of yesteryear? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Do you prefer the rifles of today or of yesteryear?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2012, 11:18 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Frankly, I like them all. I have my Garands, M1As, M1903s, Savage 99, Win 94, Marlin .444, old and new .22s and various others. Then there are the newer ones such as my M700 SS Milspec 5Rs, .22 match rifle and handguns, .45s, .44s, and .22s. Shucks, I just like em all. I don't believe there is a gun that I wouldnt like.
I do plan to hunt a good bit this fall with one of my WWII Garands. I would like to take one deer with an old warhorse before I get too old to hunt.

Old 03-14-2012, 12:00 AM   #12

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I like them all as well but when I want to place multiple accurate shots in quick succession nothing beats my Daniel Defense, LWRC or BCMs. Two of them have lightweight profile barrels one w/ a stainless barrel and one a medium contour barrel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 03-14-2012, 12:19 AM   #13
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2794 Times on 1528 Posts
Likes Given: 797

I may be old but I am not living in days gone bye. Yes there are some beautiful old guns out there but there are still some good ones being made today. I noticedthat everyone on this forum is using a computer. I have a couple of CZ rifles that are as good as any of the old rifles and while the walnut stocks are nice to look at and feel the laminate and synthetics are more stable. I had to sell my "old" rifles so I moved on. I dont mind the "plastics" and I dont mind the "plastic hand guns either. There are some fantastic firearms being produced today and I for one will take advantage of them.

Old 03-14-2012, 12:20 AM   #14

Liked 45 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I like the older guns. There is just something so special about the old lever guns like the Win 94. This will always be my favorite rifle

Old 03-14-2012, 12:27 AM   #15
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6667 Times on 3547 Posts
Likes Given: 502

my 1903A3 springfield made by remington is just smooth as buttered silk. the workmanship on even mass cranked out guns like the m1 garand and m1 carbine are still better made than most of the modern stuff.

hells ill take a mosin 91/30 over any remington rifle and most of the stuff winchester is producing currently
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Old 03-14-2012, 12:57 AM   #16

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM
my 1903A3 springfield made by remington is just smooth as buttered silk. the workmanship on even mass cranked out guns like the m1 garand and m1 carbine are still better made than most of the modern stuff.

hells ill take a mosin 91/30 over any remington rifle and most of the stuff winchester is producing currently
I would not own a new remington, try one of their bolts, terrible. Look in any gun rag and they have 3-5 product recall notices. A Winchester now is a FN, I do like FN but let's call a spade a spade. And in turn their superX rifle is a FN AR is a browning short track. A bushmaster is a Remington R15. A bps is an Ithaca. It goes on and on. Yet the quality and asthetics are nothing compared to 40+ years ago.

Old 03-14-2012, 12:58 AM   #17

Liked 93 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 2

They say a pic is...Well y'all know the rest.

M95 Mauser (1895)
Sporterized some where in mid-life but still with the original barrel chambered for 7x57:

And a 1941 M70 Winchester that still shoots like this:

and looks like this:

My son and I are still trying to wear them out.
If we can't, then we'll leave it to grandkids.

If they can succeed - They can buy the plastic stock rifles w/ the SS barrels!

Old 03-14-2012, 09:11 AM   #18

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 94

I like all my rifles, half of them are older than I am. But if I was going to be in a SHTF situation, I'd rather have a rifle of today.
M27 Infantry Automatic Rifle

But for regular old target shooting, I have a lot of enjoyment shooting my US Remington Model 1903.

Old 03-14-2012, 12:06 PM   #19

Liked 815 Times on 623 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Pre-1970 is yesteryear, eh? LOL

Old 03-14-2012, 10:02 PM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7289 Times on 4029 Posts
Likes Given: 7064

I like older guns to collect. but for users, I want the most modern available.

I'll take black polymer and parkerizing over wood and bluing any day.

Modern guns may not have the "craftsmanship" of the old timers, but they're stronger, tougher, far more accurate and more reliable.

“There aren't any great men. There are just great challenges that ordinary men like you and me are forced by circumstances to meet.”http://thinkexist.com/i/sq/as0.gif Admiral William Frederick Halsey Jr. (Bull) quote