Do I need a new stock?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Do I need a new stock?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2011, 12:19 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Do I need a new stock?

I have a new Remingtom 700 SPS stainless in 22-250 with a Nikon Buckmaster 4.5x14 scope and Leupold rings and bases. Accuracy is about 1 1/2" at 100 yds with factory loads or reloads and think it could be better. Someone in another forum suggest the plastic SPS stocks are flimsy and could be contributing to some of my accuracy problems. Someone else said you have to shoot them from sand bags (I was shooting from a Harris bipod and a bag). Would a new stock help my accuracy? What about piller or glass bedding? Don't mind to spring for a new stock if it really is better.

Raywick

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-18-2011, 12:36 AM   #2

Liked 747 Times on 522 Posts
Likes Given: 791

I doubt it. I bet it is the scope. A 200.00 scope will not do it. It could be that, that is all the rifle is capible of.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 11-18-2011, 12:49 AM   #3

Liked 2181 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

I doubt a different stock would help-
1 1/2" is not that bad with that rifle & scope tho

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 11-18-2011, 12:50 AM   #4
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1255 Times on 712 Posts
Likes Given: 598

There are a lot of things that could be the cause of bad groups.
1.Does your barrel copper foul much when fired? If so,it will cause bad groupings.There are several ways to deal with this problem.
2.Are the action screws tightened to the correct torque specs? Loose or over tightened action screws will also lead to the problem.
3.Is the barrel free floated? Take a dollar bill and slide it from the tip of the stock down to the barrel lug.If it sticks anywhere along the way,the stock needs to be relieved in those areas,as to not touch the barrel.
4. Trigger pull.If the trigger is heavy,that will also affect your groups.If it is adjustable,you can adjust it to your liking,but always do the bump test to insure that it will operate safely.

I do a lot of shooting off a bipod and a rear bag,unless you can twist the rifle and watch the foreend of the stock move back and forth,it shouldn't be causing your problem.
Almost any quality aftermarket stock will improve your shooting,but I doubt that is causing your gun to shoot 1 1/2" groups.
Most factory ammo will only shoot so good,but when handloading,you can really get the best results but it usually take a lot of trial & error finding just the right combination of components that shoot excellent in a rifle.

Lifetime Member-
NRA
Texas State Rifle Association
North American Hunting Club

Old 11-18-2011, 01:04 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1499 Times on 981 Posts
Likes Given: 3244

Default Tough Position to be In

That's a bad position to be in and we've all been there. Do you start spending in the hopes of improving accuracy on a new gun? And you're in the worst position of all. Your groups aren't bad but not quite as good as you want. Yep, we've all been there.

Maybe someone with more experience with that specific model will chime in, but I would also expect a little more accuracy out of that caliber in that gun. That's a tough call though. Your groups aren't that bad and it might just be what that gun is going to shoot without some serious work? You might want to have gunsmith give it a once over just in case?

I would also try some JB bore cleaner for the break in, but use it sparingly. Put a cloth around a cleaning brush and add JB to the cloth. Go down the barrel 5 times with the cleaning rod and then clean the barrel with a regular cloth patch and solvent until it is clean as a whistle and dry. Fire 5 shots and repeat. That will help copper from the jacket build up evenly.

Goodluck

Old 11-18-2011, 01:44 AM   #6

Liked 60 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 45

What is the twist rate and and weight of the projectile?
http://www.shilen.com/calibersAndTwists.html

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling, which thinks nothing is worth war, is worse. A man who has nothing which he cares more about than his own personal safety is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless he is made free and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stuart Mill
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of
Paul.

Last edited by dteed4094; 11-18-2011 at 01:53 AM.

Old 11-18-2011, 03:59 AM   #7

Likes Given: 1

I am no gun expert, but I had a 7mm Rem Mag SPS just like the gun you have, and had the same problem. My biggest influence was the trigger pull. The factor trigger pull was way way way way way too heavy. Once I got it adjusted a little bit, my groups tightened almost instantly. Might be something that wouldn't cost you anything that would be worth the try. I tend to be a cheap skate so I would do everything under the sun without spending money before I would start spending on it.

Old 11-19-2011, 01:06 AM   #8

I start all my new guns first I bed them , you be surprised what just bedding recoil lug does specially if your barreled action just kind of falls out when you take out screws, GOOD scope, good rest shoot under 1 inch all day with any Rem or savage thats all I own, reloading really helps.

Old 11-19-2011, 01:26 AM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The X-Pro triggers on the SPS models is not that bad, 3.5 out of the box and adjustable. Would not mind doing a bedding job either, it just seems like the stock is flimsy. What is a "good" scope? I didn't know the price had fallen to $200 on the 4.5x14 Nikons. Thanks for the replies!

Raywick

Old 11-20-2011, 12:06 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1499 Times on 981 Posts
Likes Given: 3244

I seriously doubt that it's the scope. Scope problems are usually pretty obvious. And a scope only costing $200 doesn't automatically make it a bad scope. The stock could be an issue though. I wouldn't trust it if it felt flimsy.