Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Do 5r's Like it Dirty?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2011, 03:03 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Do 5r's Like it Dirty?

I have a new TC ICON in .270 Winchester that I am trying to zero. I finally found a factory ammo it likes (Hornady 140gr SST Superformance). I have always been a clean freak but the last 2 times I've shot I have noticed the dirtier it gets the better it groups. 3 rnds,.75 MOA AFTER 12rnds to be exact. The last 3 rounds were shot in succession but all the others I allowed the barrel to completely cool (20-30 min) between shots.

This is the first weapon I've owned with the 5r Riflings. Just hoping to get some input.

Thanks,

Last edited by jnettrecker; 10-19-2011 at 03:05 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-19-2011, 03:37 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 4510 Times on 2372 Posts
Likes Given: 258

Pretty much all rifles like a little dirty barrel. This isnt always true. My savage 10 doesnt seem to care whether the barrel is clean or not or even a little warm it shoots the same.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 10-21-2011, 04:43 PM   #3

Liked 182 Times on 145 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Not many if any rifle shoot great with a clean dry barrel. Some shot better with just 1 shot ,some after several shots.
I see you found out to a warm barrel does shot well to. 20 to 30 minutes between shots would be like what you do when hunting. Cold barrel first shot. That is what you make notes on is bullet placement with that first shot in a dirty but cold barrel. If you cleaned between the the first few shoots very well when your rifle was new you have done all you can and now you just need to know were that first shot prints. groups are great for bragging but that cold barrel shot is the one that fills the freezer. Sounds like a nice shooting rifle.

Old 10-21-2011, 05:24 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 30 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Sorry I can't really help you too much with this, but i did move your topic from the hunting forum to general rifle discussion to hopefully allow members to be able to help you.

Old 10-21-2011, 07:32 PM   #5

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3471 Times on 1606 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

hardluk1 kind of nailed what you are experiencing with your rifle.

COLD ZERO is the term and is where the first round of a clean (or slightly dirty), cold barrel will hit.

Once you make that initial shot, your barrel will warm and you will see a different point of impact than you previously hit. This is why serious competitions like benchrest shooting have a "warm up" period before the start of shooting. You fire a few rounds, get a little gunk in the barrel and warm it so that your resulting string is fired from a barrel with as close to the same conditions as possible.

I have a Mike Rock 5R on my .308 Tactical and it does indeed shoot a bit better after I put a couple of rounds through it. While the group size doesn't drastically shrink to one ragged hole, it does group tighter after an initial firing of a couple of rounds.

A little more trigger time and I am sure you will have it dialed in without incident.

JD

Old 10-22-2011, 11:33 AM   #6

Thanks for the input. I am 40 rounds into this cleaning with every shot being cold bore as I plan to solely hunt with this rifle. Check my last group below. 3 rounds 140gr Hornady Superformance SST , cold bore, .39 MOA.

Old 10-22-2011, 01:42 PM   #7

Liked 182 Times on 145 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Looks to be ready for some meat to shot at. Nice group size.

Old 10-23-2011, 11:25 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardluk1 View Post
Looks to be ready for some meat to shot at. Nice group size.
Thanks. Interesting thing is that I have not cleaned it yet and spent 5 hrs at the 200 yard range yesterday. My average shot group with warm or cold barrel was 1" at 200yds. That makes 3 boxes of ammo or 60 rounds......... crazy. Seems to keep getting better......

Old 10-23-2011, 12:59 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1009 Times on 567 Posts
Likes Given: 395

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnettrecker View Post
(Hornady 140gr SST Superformance),
Excellent choice of ammunition.