Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   Do 5r's Like it Dirty? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/do-5rs-like-dirty-50282/)

jnettrecker 10-19-2011 04:03 PM

Do 5r's Like it Dirty?

I have a new TC ICON in .270 Winchester that I am trying to zero. I finally found a factory ammo it likes (Hornady 140gr SST Superformance). I have always been a clean freak but the last 2 times I've shot I have noticed the dirtier it gets the better it groups. 3 rnds,.75 MOA AFTER 12rnds to be exact. The last 3 rounds were shot in succession but all the others I allowed the barrel to completely cool (20-30 min) between shots.

This is the first weapon I've owned with the 5r Riflings. Just hoping to get some input.

Thanks,

JonM 10-19-2011 04:37 PM

Pretty much all rifles like a little dirty barrel. This isnt always true. My savage 10 doesnt seem to care whether the barrel is clean or not or even a little warm it shoots the same.

hardluk1 10-21-2011 05:43 PM

Not many if any rifle shoot great with a clean dry barrel. Some shot better with just 1 shot ,some after several shots.
I see you found out to a warm barrel does shot well to. 20 to 30 minutes between shots would be like what you do when hunting. Cold barrel first shot. That is what you make notes on is bullet placement with that first shot in a dirty but cold barrel. If you cleaned between the the first few shoots very well when your rifle was new you have done all you can and now you just need to know were that first shot prints. groups are great for bragging but that cold barrel shot is the one that fills the freezer. Sounds like a nice shooting rifle.

Boyerracing343 10-21-2011 06:24 PM

Sorry I can't really help you too much with this, but i did move your topic from the hunting forum to general rifle discussion to hopefully allow members to be able to help you.

Dillinger 10-21-2011 08:32 PM

hardluk1 kind of nailed what you are experiencing with your rifle.

COLD ZERO is the term and is where the first round of a clean (or slightly dirty), cold barrel will hit.

Once you make that initial shot, your barrel will warm and you will see a different point of impact than you previously hit. This is why serious competitions like benchrest shooting have a "warm up" period before the start of shooting. You fire a few rounds, get a little gunk in the barrel and warm it so that your resulting string is fired from a barrel with as close to the same conditions as possible.

I have a Mike Rock 5R on my .308 Tactical and it does indeed shoot a bit better after I put a couple of rounds through it. While the group size doesn't drastically shrink to one ragged hole, it does group tighter after an initial firing of a couple of rounds.

A little more trigger time and I am sure you will have it dialed in without incident.

JD

jnettrecker 10-22-2011 12:33 PM

Thanks for the input. I am 40 rounds into this cleaning with every shot being cold bore as I plan to solely hunt with this rifle. Check my last group below. 3 rounds 140gr Hornady Superformance SST , cold bore, .39 MOA.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y29...2B5F9-orig.jpg

hardluk1 10-22-2011 02:42 PM

Looks to be ready for some meat to shot at. Nice group size.

jnettrecker 10-23-2011 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hardluk1 (Post 607483)
Looks to be ready for some meat to shot at. Nice group size.

Thanks. Interesting thing is that I have not cleaned it yet and spent 5 hrs at the 200 yard range yesterday. My average shot group with warm or cold barrel was 1" at 200yds. That makes 3 boxes of ammo or 60 rounds......... crazy. Seems to keep getting better......

Gatoragn 10-23-2011 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jnettrecker (Post 605056)
(Hornady 140gr SST Superformance),

Excellent choice of ammunition.