Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Dislike for certain calibers?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2012, 09:34 PM   #31
Proud to be an American
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 756 Times on 349 Posts
Likes Given: 362

My story is more guilt by association I suppose the weapon is a Winchester 94 in 44 mag. It holds 11 rounds has a birch stock and is $69.99 at Walmart!
All my rifles sport optic sights and I thought the little 94 would be nice on those snowy-rainy days with its iron sights.
First time out it a rain snow mix so I leave my 06 in the truck and grab the 94 in 44 mangle-em and as the day wears on I'm delighted as to how convenient it is is to carry no scope to worry about life is good!
A short time later on the side of a beech ridge while I'm leaning against a tree I hear something off to my left! Its 5 deer coming right at me and brining up the rear is a huge heavy antlered buck!! I'm in perfect position slightly behind the tree, I cock the hammer back and the 5 are within 25 yards and out in the open I can't miss!! I draw a bead on the buck who is now just standing looking at me I can already taste the liver I'm going to have tonight! Ever so gently I squeeze her off and nothing happens no bag no click not a f......thing!! Panic I reach for the hammer but its still back at full cock so I pull again and again nothing!! So now in desperation I work the lever and pull and work the lever and pull again #&!@#$%^&*!!
The rain had caused the stock to swell and put pressure on the side of the hammer holding it in place! I fixed it and traded it the next day!

The price of freedom is eternal vigilance.

Old 02-10-2012, 10:24 PM   #32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1059 Times on 684 Posts
Likes Given: 1962

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus View Post
It isn't the caliber, it's the man behind the sights. The gun doesn't choose it's own bullet weight, bullet shape, or where it goes.

I do hate the "mystical aura" that some folks like to attach to certain calibers though. There are no magic bullets out there, regardless of what some joker with a typewriter puts in a gun magazine.
From a purely logical standpoint I know you're right, but from my own experience I have to disagree. I had many bad experiences trying to get my first deer. Eventually my daddy got a new rifle and gave me his old .303 British. Every deer I ever point that .303 at went home in the back of the truck, and that included dozens of deer. I can't say that about any other caliber. That includes calibers both before and after I hunted with the .303.

My daddy went from the .303 to a .270 and immediately started having problems putting deer down. Years later I went to a 30-06 after retiring the .303 and then I immediately began having problems.

I think every caliber and bullets for a caliber work a little different. Some calibers and bullets are great for shooting behind the shoulder and some work better shooting deer in the shoulder. Different bullets and calibers also work different at different ranges. Some people hit the right combination (right bullet in the right caliber at the right distance and right shot placement) others have to experiment to find what works for them. The .303 was the absolute perfect caliber for us and it has taken on mythical status in our family. We joke to this today about being able to shoot a deer in the hoof with the .303 and it dropping in its tracks. Others hit on the perfect combination for them and then that caliber takes on mythical status for them. At least that's my .02

Old 02-11-2012, 02:42 AM   #33

Liked 998 Times on 597 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I just love guns and shooting all together, yes there are calibers that i prefer but i will shoot anything. If it has a trigger and throws lead i will shoot it. I wish that i had more guns then what i have

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis

Old 02-11-2012, 02:51 AM   #34

Liked 182 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 184

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1 View Post
Damn...sorry you went through that.
Was it a Glock .40?
...and did he wear dreadlocks and a DEA tee shirt?
hahaha actually it was a sig, and he was bald... hahaha

I still love every gun on this planet just not the ones in .40

"come on you sons of b***hs! do you want to live forever?" Sergeant Daniel Daly, USMC, Belleau Wood France June 6th 1918

"You can be as mad as a mad dog at the way things went. You could swear, curse the fates, but when it comes to the end, you have to let go" Benjamin Button

BE PREPARED

Old 02-11-2012, 03:27 AM   #35
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2554 Times on 1341 Posts
Likes Given: 192

I have not met the caliber I did not like. There are some that seem to have no purpose, but that is personal preference (IMHO). Not every one is good for a particular job (.22 Hornet for deer) and some have been supplanted by later offerings (.222 - .223). load just about every common caliber from .32 ACP to .45 Colt and .223 to .45-70 and cast bullets for most of them

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 02-11-2012, 04:06 AM   #36

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I hate all the short mags. It just seems like such a fad. Less rounds in the mag, shorter barrel life, no ballistic improvement, (other than the .270, I'll give them that) all just because it's "in." Whatever. Just bugs me.

Wait, was this thing on?

Old 02-11-2012, 04:12 AM   #37

Liked 998 Times on 597 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by theropinfool
I hate all the short mags. It just seems like such a fad. Less rounds in the mag, shorter barrel life, no ballistic improvement, (other than the .270, I'll give them that) all just because it's "in." Whatever. Just bugs me.
Ive really enjoyed my 7mmwsm, its an accurate heavy hitting SOB.

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis

Old 02-11-2012, 04:22 AM   #38

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I knew as soon as I posted that somebody would say they love theirs.

I'm happy for anyone that finds a gun they like shooting. Short mags just bug me.

Wait, was this thing on?

Old 02-11-2012, 04:37 AM   #39

Liked 121 Times on 86 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by theropinfool
I knew as soon as I posted that somebody would say they love theirs.

I'm happy for anyone that finds a gun they like shooting. Short mags just bug me.
+2 on short mags, just dont see any plus to them, to much bling for min gain. Also as stated this is a which caliber do u hate not love thread right???

Old 02-11-2012, 05:39 AM   #40

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muliemaster

+2 on short mags, just dont see any plus to them, to much bling for min gain. Also as stated this is a which caliber do u hate not love thread right???
Yes it is mike.

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did