Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Dislike for certain calibers?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2012, 01:46 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 313 Times on 218 Posts
Likes Given: 536

Default Dislike for certain calibers?

I hate to post a negative thread (well, not that much), but I was wondering if there is a particular caliber that you completely dislike for no real logical reason? Here is my story: When I was about 14 years old, my Dad bought me a used but nice looking Model 94 in .30-30. We went deer hunting that year and on opening morning, I shot at and missed several times the largest whitetail buck I have ever seen in the wild. I was too upset to blame myself, so I, in my 14 year old immature manner, blamed the gun and the cartridge for my innability to hit the deer. I immediately became a fan of high velocity bolt action rifles, and still am. Logically I know that there was nothing wrong with the gun and logically I know that the .30-30 is an adequate deer cartridge. But to this day, I cringe at the thought of hunting with a .30-30. I will never own one, not because it is not a fine cartridge, which it is, but because it always reminds me of that years ago opening day and the buck that got away.

I know there are lots of .30-30 fans on this forum and I mean no harm or disrespect. I don't hate the cartridge, I just hate the memories it conjures up. Anybody have a dislike of a cartridge for no logical reason?
cottontop

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-10-2012, 01:49 AM   #2
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1660 Times on 905 Posts
Likes Given: 529

Lie down on the couch and get ready for some serious intervention.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
You are either pro gun or pro crime.

Old 02-10-2012, 03:55 AM   #3

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts

Back in the early 70's a friend of mine had a Weatherby chamber for the .460 magnum. He always had to have the biggest gun in town. First time I shot it damn took my shoulder off. Have no desire to own one. Don't hate it, just not expecting to see any elephants in my backyard.

Old 02-10-2012, 04:01 AM   #4

Liked 344 Times on 220 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I'm going to say I've got some disliking of the 7mm Rem Mag.
Only logical reason I've got is the recoil is a little to much for my liking, but still do-able.

Now for my un-logical reason, it's what the first rifle I've had an accidental/random discharge was chambered in.

Old 02-10-2012, 04:02 AM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I hate 22 shorts. I want to hear the real big bang. JK

“There are hundreds of millions of gun owners in this country, and not one of them will have an accident today. The only misuse of guns comes in environments where there are drugs, alcohol, bad parents, and undisciplined children. Period.” Ted Nugent

Old 02-10-2012, 04:20 AM   #6

Liked 1056 Times on 727 Posts
Likes Given: 1071

Can`t think of one that I just dislike................

When all else fails.

Old 02-10-2012, 04:28 AM   #7

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts

.40. Ugh hate the .40

"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."
~John F. Kennedy

Old 02-10-2012, 04:38 AM   #8

Liked 121 Times on 86 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cottontop
I hate to post a negative thread (well, not that much), but I was wondering if there is a particular caliber that you completely dislike for no real logical reason? Here is my story: When I was about 14 years old, my Dad bought me a used but nice looking Model 94 in .30-30. We went deer hunting that year and on opening morning, I shot at and missed several times the largest whitetail buck I have ever seen in the wild. I was too upset to blame myself, so I, in my 14 year old immature manner, blamed the gun and the cartridge for my innability to hit the deer. I immediately became a fan of high velocity bolt action rifles, and still am. Logically I know that there was nothing wrong with the gun and logically I know that the .30-30 is an adequate deer cartridge. But to this day, I cringe at the thought of hunting with a .30-30. I will never own one, not because it is not a fine cartridge, which it is, but because it always reminds me of that years ago opening day and the buck that got away.

I know there are lots of .30-30 fans on this forum and I mean no harm or disrespect. I don't hate the cartridge, I just hate the memories it conjures up. Anybody have a dislike of a cartridge for no logical reason?
cottontop
Ok get ready for a tree branch better yet u go pick the switch!!!! Just messin. The caliber I hate the most an I have 2 of the is the .458 win mag. My fam an I go to africa every other yr an thats what I take tons of smack down an does every thing I ask it to but damn after 8to14 shots my neck is killin me my shoulder hates me. No real reason to hate the caliber when it does its job at a very good rate, but I just hate shootin it

Old 02-10-2012, 05:35 AM   #9

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cottontop

cottontop
30-30 and the 30 carbine round. 30-30 cuz i have shot 3 different deer repeatedly w one and had to put em down w a different caliber. All within 100 yards and all were heart/lung or front shoulder shots. 3 different types of ammo. Lile lever actions though. Might be why i have several-not one in 30-30 though. Have a special edition remake of a '73 winchester in 32-20 thats fun. Just not good for anything.

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did

Old 02-10-2012, 05:59 AM   #10

Liked 182 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 184

I hate the .40 the only reason is when I was 16 I was at a friends house and his dad was a heavy drinker he was unloading his gun in the living room while I was talking to my friend near the front door about 10ft away. He accidentally discharged his pistol (he was drunk) into my stomic the bullet went through my lower body at an angle, after a while I woke up idk how long the doc said that if I was standing at a different angle I might not be able to walk at this point. The bullet past within 1" of my lower spine, that's the reason I hate the 40...

on the up side his dad hasn't touched alcohol since...

"come on you sons of b***hs! do you want to live forever?" Sergeant Daniel Daly, USMC, Belleau Wood France June 6th 1918

"You can be as mad as a mad dog at the way things went. You could swear, curse the fates, but when it comes to the end, you have to let go" Benjamin Button

BE PREPARED