Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   Dislike for certain calibers? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/dislike-certain-calibers-57393/)

cottontop 02-10-2012 01:46 AM

Dislike for certain calibers?

I hate to post a negative thread (well, not that much), but I was wondering if there is a particular caliber that you completely dislike for no real logical reason? Here is my story: When I was about 14 years old, my Dad bought me a used but nice looking Model 94 in .30-30. We went deer hunting that year and on opening morning, I shot at and missed several times the largest whitetail buck I have ever seen in the wild. I was too upset to blame myself, so I, in my 14 year old immature manner, blamed the gun and the cartridge for my innability to hit the deer. I immediately became a fan of high velocity bolt action rifles, and still am. Logically I know that there was nothing wrong with the gun and logically I know that the .30-30 is an adequate deer cartridge. But to this day, I cringe at the thought of hunting with a .30-30. I will never own one, not because it is not a fine cartridge, which it is, but because it always reminds me of that years ago opening day and the buck that got away.

I know there are lots of .30-30 fans on this forum and I mean no harm or disrespect. I don't hate the cartridge, I just hate the memories it conjures up. Anybody have a dislike of a cartridge for no logical reason?
cottontop

JTJ 02-10-2012 01:49 AM

Lie down on the couch and get ready for some serious intervention. :D

tomingreeneco 02-10-2012 03:55 AM

Back in the early 70's a friend of mine had a Weatherby chamber for the .460 magnum. He always had to have the biggest gun in town. First time I shot it damn took my shoulder off. Have no desire to own one. Don't hate it, just not expecting to see any elephants in my backyard.:D

kaido 02-10-2012 04:01 AM

I'm going to say I've got some disliking of the 7mm Rem Mag.
Only logical reason I've got is the recoil is a little to much for my liking, but still do-able.

Now for my un-logical reason, it's what the first rifle I've had an accidental/random discharge was chambered in.

007BondJamesBond007 02-10-2012 04:02 AM

I hate 22 shorts. I want to hear the real big bang. JK:D

303tom 02-10-2012 04:20 AM

Can`t think of one that I just dislike................

g17frantz 02-10-2012 04:28 AM

.40. Ugh hate the .40

Muliemaster 02-10-2012 04:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cottontop
I hate to post a negative thread (well, not that much), but I was wondering if there is a particular caliber that you completely dislike for no real logical reason? Here is my story: When I was about 14 years old, my Dad bought me a used but nice looking Model 94 in .30-30. We went deer hunting that year and on opening morning, I shot at and missed several times the largest whitetail buck I have ever seen in the wild. I was too upset to blame myself, so I, in my 14 year old immature manner, blamed the gun and the cartridge for my innability to hit the deer. I immediately became a fan of high velocity bolt action rifles, and still am. Logically I know that there was nothing wrong with the gun and logically I know that the .30-30 is an adequate deer cartridge. But to this day, I cringe at the thought of hunting with a .30-30. I will never own one, not because it is not a fine cartridge, which it is, but because it always reminds me of that years ago opening day and the buck that got away.

I know there are lots of .30-30 fans on this forum and I mean no harm or disrespect. I don't hate the cartridge, I just hate the memories it conjures up. Anybody have a dislike of a cartridge for no logical reason?
cottontop

Ok get ready for a tree branch better yet u go pick the switch!!!! Just messin. The caliber I hate the most an I have 2 of the is the .458 win mag. My fam an I go to africa every other yr an thats what I take tons of smack down an does every thing I ask it to but damn after 8to14 shots my neck is killin me my shoulder hates me. No real reason to hate the caliber when it does its job at a very good rate, but I just hate shootin it

Marlinman 02-10-2012 05:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cottontop

cottontop

30-30 and the 30 carbine round. 30-30 cuz i have shot 3 different deer repeatedly w one and had to put em down w a different caliber. All within 100 yards and all were heart/lung or front shoulder shots. 3 different types of ammo. Lile lever actions though. Might be why i have several-not one in 30-30 though. Have a special edition remake of a '73 winchester in 32-20 thats fun. Just not good for anything.

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did

unclebear 02-10-2012 05:59 AM

I hate the .40 the only reason is when I was 16 I was at a friends house and his dad was a heavy drinker he was unloading his gun in the living room while I was talking to my friend near the front door about 10ft away. He accidentally discharged his pistol (he was drunk) into my stomic the bullet went through my lower body at an angle, after a while I woke up idk how long the doc said that if I was standing at a different angle I might not be able to walk at this point. The bullet past within 1" of my lower spine, that's the reason I hate the 40...

on the up side his dad hasn't touched alcohol since...