Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Different Brand Ammo (same grain) giving inconsistent target results?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2012, 11:31 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Default Different Brand Ammo (same grain) giving inconsistent target results?

I had 3 boxes of 300 WSM ammo at the range today. I had one Winchester Super X box of 20 and two Federal boxes (20 each) all 3 at 180 grain.

I zeroed the Tikka T3 Lite 300 WSM to 50 Yards using a rest with front sandbag and two rear sandbags and the Winchester Super X ammo. Rock solid, dead center.

But when I fired the Federal, it consistently seemed to fall about 1/2" to maybe 1" lower. I tried after the barrel was warmed up, then let it cool down and shot a final spread of 4 on a fresh target, a bit of a cool down between each shot, and while it was just fine left to right, it was indeed just below the bullseye in all 4 shots even though the reticle was smack in the middle of the bullseye.

Is this sort of result normal?

It's not a huge deal, but it just had me wondering.

Even though the Winchester Super X is more expensive per box, I've had great luck with it, and only tried the Federal because it was somewhat less expensive. But given that 300 WSM is so expensive anyway, the difference is really not that big.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-30-2012, 11:35 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1152 Times on 642 Posts
Likes Given: 462

Very typical of switching between brands. Find the brand and weight of ammo you shoot best in your rifle and stick with it.

Old 10-31-2012, 12:36 AM   #3

Liked 319 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 399

check the charts.

http://www.federalpremium.com/products/details/rifle.aspx?id=27

http://www.winchester.com/Products/rifle-ammunition/Performance/Super-X-rifle/Pages/X300WSM.aspx

Yes different ammo can many times shoot to different POI. Even with the same bullet weight. Bullet shape, velocity, barrel length, elevation, angle, cant, and much more all factor into shooting.

Old 10-31-2012, 06:13 AM   #4

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks for the feedback.

Got me wondering, does the change usually show in elevation and not windage? I did not notice any variance left to right, only up and down in this particular case.

Thanks again.

Old 10-31-2012, 08:52 AM   #5

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Thats generally because one is goin faster than the other?

even though both 180gr, my Abolt 300wsm shot different with Win V Rem 150sp but Ones primers were flattened an one wasnt.. charts show a difference in Veloctiy..

Old 10-31-2012, 10:51 PM   #6

Liked 32 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Each bullet maker has their "ideas" on whats appropriate WRT overall design.These differences show up downrange.....on paper as well as tissue.Will venture to say(don't know for absolute as its a pretty guarded)that jacket hardness is pretty much the same between manuf. in specific calibres.But little differences in the bullets shape can and does change how that "hardness" shows up.IOWs,two different manufacturer's could use the same jackets...but because their swaging dies,and resultant "shapes" are a touch different...they can behave differently.

Little changes in a bullets design....and small variance's in construction(how they're assemble'd)....even though the nominal weight is the same can produce dramatic differences internally and externally.To a much lessor degree....even between two rifles/brrls of the same maker.

Wish I was smart/experience'd enough to explain "windage" changes as it relates to bullet design.I've found bedding to be a much bigger windage "effect'er" than changes in bullet design.YMMV.

Old 10-31-2012, 11:04 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2557 Times on 1342 Posts
Likes Given: 192

Of course they will impact in different places, they are different loads. The bullets are different. The powder is different. The primer is different. The case is different. Even if you use the same EVERYTHING, but change powder manufacturers your POI WILL change.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 11-01-2012, 03:12 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5087 Times on 2893 Posts
Likes Given: 4253

Even the same brand from different manufacturing lots will very.

"Politics is the art of the possible" Otto von Bismarck.

Old 11-02-2012, 11:52 PM   #9

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

First, thanks to everyone for the assistance. I appreciate the replies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus View Post
Even the same brand from different manufacturing lots will very.
Well, that is kind of a bummer.

Are there some brands that are more consistent than others when it comes to putting out different lots?

I know for example in the computer world, Verbatim has a history of making very consistent, high quality optical media (CD-R, DVD-R, etc.)

Maybe certain rifle ammo brands are more consistent than others.

Old 11-03-2012, 12:15 AM   #10

Liked 666 Times on 457 Posts
Likes Given: 672

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubZero View Post
First, thanks to everyone for the assistance. I appreciate the replies.

Well, that is kind of a bummer.

Are there some brands that are more consistent than others when it comes to putting out different lots?

I know for example in the computer world, Verbatim has a history of making very consistent, high quality optical media (CD-R, DVD-R, etc.)

Maybe certain rifle ammo brands are more consistent than others.

Power is made from organic ingredients, not software. When I reload, if I find a lot that shoots well, I buy 8lb. Takes guess work out of it for a while.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.