Differences & opinions if these rifles
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Differences & opinions if these rifles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2014, 02:37 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 191 Times on 128 Posts

Default Differences & opinions if these rifles

Savage Model 10 P-SR
Savage Model 10 Precision Carbine
Remington 700 SPS AAC-SD

This will be my first .308 rifle. I'd like to hear what people think of these here. Mainly want a heavy barrel, threaded and barrel that is 20 inches or less. Anyone with experience with these rifles? Or any other rifles that fit the bill.

Also, and please don't hate for newb question, but are any of these rifles capable of shooting at 1000 yards? I know it would take a lot of practice before I even attempted that distance.

Any advice or input is appreciated. I don't want to regret whatever purchase I decide to make and want to get as much info as possible before I buy anything.

If guns kill people, mine are defective.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-22-2014, 03:51 AM   #2

Liked 25 Times on 21 Posts

Squawk my brother in law had a rem 700 sps tactical which is pretty much the same as the sps tactical aac-sd the only difference i see is that the model you want has a threaded muzzel. His shot sub Moa and I loved that gun of course he had lots of modifications later but at first the gun was just like the one you want 20" heavy barrel I personally didn't see a problem with it but he said the only thing he regretted was not getting a 700 with a longer barrel I think the vt model cause the barrel I think is 26. The longer barrel will help your velocity; maybe your accuracy a little but his was very very accurate for a 20" yes a 308 is capable of 1000 yards but like you said earlier your gonna need a lot of practice the real question is, is the shooter capable of 1000. Good luck on what you decide to go with. Also I personally shot the gun several times so im not just telling you i thought it was cool it performed very well. In the end it ended up with a bell and Carlson stock and is now a 6.5 creedmoor. If your looking for a long range gun you might look into the 6.5 creedmoor there great rounds and I think ruger makes a target version that's nice for around 700-800

Old 01-22-2014, 03:58 AM   #3

I was right ruger makes a m77 in 6.5 here's a pic it's $835 on able ammo out of stock but maybe you could find it somewhere else if your interest it's heavy barrel not less then 20 though.
If your set on 20 or less I understand I like shorter barrels too. But just remember in the long run the extra inches are helpful.

Is that a that's what she said comment?
😏

Here's the ruger 6.5
imageuploadedbyfirearms-talk1390366719.716805.jpg

Old 01-22-2014, 04:23 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1619 Times on 1108 Posts
Likes Given: 570

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squawk View Post
Savage Model 10 P-SR
Savage Model 10 Precision Carbine
Remington 700 SPS AAC-SD

This will be my first .308 rifle. I'd like to hear what people think of these here. Mainly want a heavy barrel, threaded and barrel that is 20 inches or less. Anyone with experience with these rifles? Or any other rifles that fit the bill.

Also, and please don't hate for newb question, but are any of these rifles capable of shooting at 1000 yards? I know it would take a lot of practice before I even attempted that distance.

Any advice or input is appreciated. I don't want to regret whatever purchase I decide to make and want to get as much info as possible before I buy anything.
They say if you give a man a fish you only feed him for a day. If you teach him how to fish he will have fish for the rest of his life. I am going to attempt to teach you how to fish.

When you go to the firearms manufacturers website every detail about each model of firearm is listed. Manufacturers even give you an idea of how much each model should cost by listing the MSRP. If you go to the manufacturers website and look up the model you are interested in purchasing you will get a better idea of what the firearm is capable of doing than what happened when someone shot their brothers rifle.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

People Like This 
Old 01-22-2014, 09:51 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 191 Times on 128 Posts

I have access to a reloading table that is setup for .308 so I'm sticking with the .308 cartridge. The difference between the three are as follows:
PSR - 18 inch heavy barrel, Accutrigger, no Accustock, not listed on Savage website

Precision Carbine - from what I've read, it is not a true heavy barrel, apparently slightly tapers towards the muzzle; does come with Accustock

Remmy 700 SPS AAC-SD - 20 inch true heavy barrel; X-Mark Pro trigger and hogue stock; have not read a lot of good things about the Hogue stock or X-Mark Pro trigger; read a lot about QC going down since Freedom Group purchased Remmy; tons of aftermarket support

So the manufacturers page(s) are not that helpful. Basically just wanted to hear people's experience with these rifles or other rifles that are similar.

If guns kill people, mine are defective.

Old 01-22-2014, 11:17 AM   #6

Liked 990 Times on 653 Posts
Likes Given: 638

OP, A year or so ago, I had similar wants in a rifle. The Savage Model 10 Precision Carbine was on a vey short list of about 3. Slightly ahead of it was the offering from CZ. Check that one out, too. My plans got shelved because of cost…...

Old 01-22-2014, 12:03 PM   #7

Liked 2506 Times on 1428 Posts
Likes Given: 1947

What's the planned usage here?

While .308 isn't an optimal 1000 yard caliber ballistically,

with the proper weight bullet and load, it reaches out beyond

600 yards just fine.

Is this for hunting, or target competitions in the desert, or what?

I'm usually a little reluctant to jump into a new caliber, without

good cause. What caliber are you shooting now?

Last edited by therewolf; 01-22-2014 at 12:05 PM.

Old 01-22-2014, 12:03 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
They say if you give a man a fish you only feed him for a day. If you teach him how to fish he will have fish for the rest of his life. I am going to attempt to teach you how to fish.

When you go to the firearms manufacturers website every detail about each model of firearm is listed. Manufacturers even give you an idea of how much each model should cost by listing the MSRP. If you go to the manufacturers website and look up the model you are interested in purchasing you will get a better idea of what the firearm is capable of doing than what happened when someone shot their brothers rifle.
I didn't just shoot his rifle me and my brother in law are the only ones in my family that are into firearms. So we always went to the range together. I shot it a lot and squawk wanted information about the guns. I seen that guns performance with tons of rounds through it I seen the accuracy so I gave him the information on how it performed because that's the only gun on the list I've shot and had lots of experience with just because it wasn't my gun doesn't mean I don't know anything about it. Yeah you can go to the manufactures website and find out its a 20" heavy barrel hogue stock with a 1-10 twist but I think he already knows that since he wanted a barrel under 20" I figured he wanted to know hey has anyone shot it and I gave him advice on its performance because no one was replying to his thread. Now squawk my brother in laws gun was accurate but his is the only rem 700 sps tactical I dealt with, I don't know how true it is but he said I think I must of got a really good barrel because he said he has seen a lot of other groups from other people's exact stock gun and they weren't as great. That could be shooters error and also every barrel is different so since you have a reloading table set up for 308 I'm pretty confident you can fine tune it and it will do well.

Old 01-22-2014, 12:11 PM   #9

Liked 2043 Times on 1069 Posts
Likes Given: 392

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post

I've never heard of fishing with a .308! You learn something new every day

Old 01-22-2014, 12:12 PM   #10

Sorry John deer if that come off rude didn't mean it that way. I just didn't want squawk thinking I was giving him foggy information because I didn't personally own that firearm.