Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > difference in wound appearance 30-06 vs. M-16?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2010, 01:24 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry_bald_guy View Post
Following along these same lines and piggybacking, what would a .308 Winchester be like in comparison to a .30-06?
Very same results. It depends on how close you are to target. The closer you are the more tissue and bone disintegration damage.

Lets just say one will have a problem with their hat fitting correctly.

It is a high velocity bullet and it will take you down. The preferred choice round of most military snipers and SWAT.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 08-11-2010, 01:46 PM   #12
Resident JackHole
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 292 Times on 165 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGETEVEN View Post
Very same results. It depends on how close you are to target. The closer you are the more tissue and bone disintegration damage.

Lets just say one will have a problem with their hat fitting correctly.

It is a high velocity bullet and it will take you down. The preferred choice round of most military snipers and SWAT.
So you're saying .308 and .30-06 would look almost the same in aftermath?

No, you can't take my gun. I'm gonna need it when you try to take my truck...

Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm a mechanic. I fix things. This is why I will never be able to hold public office.

Old 08-11-2010, 02:24 PM   #13

My red flags are flapping in the wind. The question is legit, but the way the question is asked is a little disturbing.

wisdom comes with time and time is never ending

Old 08-12-2010, 04:50 AM   #14

Liked 19 Times on 12 Posts

Indeed, I can think of no good way for such a question to be asked. If the goal is truly to attempt to achieve accuracy for a fictional work, the internet is a good place to ask since most answers will also be fictional!
As a relatively knowledgable gun guy, I'll admit to finding firearms related errors in a story mildly off-putting. I try to get past them though and remember that I am, after all, reading fiction.
In most cases, unless the writer has solid first hand knowledge, he is best off to keep things as simple as possible and don't try to get too cute. I would never try to write a story in which flying a plane figured heavily because I have no firsthand knowledge. If I had to put a plane in there for some reason, I would try to avoid saying too much so as to avoid saying something too stupid!
Terminal ballistics are a complex subject and the use of complex subject material as a major prop can afford an opportunity to be clever or foolish. I feel, if the storyline must be supported by such a reference, the reference should truly be accurate. If the storyline can stand without the reference, perhaps it should do so. GD

Old 08-12-2010, 04:59 AM   #15
Resident JackHole
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 292 Times on 165 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Chalk it up to morbid curiosity on my part. Asking here is more socially acceptable than grabbing one of each weapon and "experimenting."

No, you can't take my gun. I'm gonna need it when you try to take my truck...

Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm a mechanic. I fix things. This is why I will never be able to hold public office.