Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > difference in wound appearance 30-06 vs. M-16?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2010, 01:15 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default difference in wound appearance 30-06 vs. M-16?

this question relates to achieving authenticity in a work of fiction.

I hope it is in the right place.

If a person were shot in the head with a 30-06 would the wound look the same or different than if they were shot with a M-16?

If no one has seen such wounds in a person, if they have seen an animal or a test material comparison, that would suffice.

Would the hole look the same?

I understand the M-16 is not a long-range weapon while the 30-06 is longer range.

So, assuming a medium distance of no more than 50 yards for either gun. If 50 yards is too far for the M-16, please note that.

Last edited by prof-milton-fireballs; 07-27-2010 at 01:19 PM. Reason: making sure "instant email notification" was on

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-27-2010, 03:37 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 2262 Times on 1188 Posts
Likes Given: 155

I am somewhat hesitant to answer such a question. We get questions like this fairly regularly from posters that appear to be posers, trolls and otherwise nefarious types looking for anti-gun information.

The question is very difficult to answer as the bullet weight, type and construction will weigh heavily on the answer. In a very general sense, the .223/5.56 will tend to leave a small entrance wound and a large exit with a partial evacuation of the cranial contents. The .30-06 will tend to totally evacuate the contents of the cranium and split open the entire skull leaving a much gorier scene.

50 yards is a reasonable range for the M-16/M-4. The M-16 is a very capable long range weapon as long as you consider 200-300 yards to be long range. The .30-06 is more capable at 800-1000 yards.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 07-27-2010, 05:02 PM   #3

The m-16 fires the .223 caliber round, therefore it's capable of out to 200-300 yards as stated above, maybe 400 depending on what you want to shoot. But what is stated about is pretty much spot on, a 30-06 will leave a more devastating scene than the .223/m-16.

aim small, miss small

Old 07-27-2010, 06:03 PM   #4

dead is dead

let no talents go unused

Old 07-28-2010, 02:05 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
I am somewhat hesitant to answer such a question. We get questions like this fairly regularly from posters that appear to be posers, trolls and otherwise nefarious types looking for anti-gun information.

The question is very difficult to answer as the bullet weight, type and construction will weigh heavily on the answer. In a very general sense, the .223/5.56 will tend to leave a small entrance wound and a large exit with a partial evacuation of the cranial contents. The .30-06 will tend to totally evacuate the contents of the cranium and split open the entire skull leaving a much gorier scene.

50 yards is a reasonable range for the M-16/M-4. The M-16 is a very capable long range weapon as long as you consider 200-300 yards to be long range. The .30-06 is more capable at 800-1000 yards.
This looks like a good answer for my purposes.
thanks.

what I notice about american anti-gun people is that they love having their decisions made for them by college professors and people with titles. The world works for them if there is some committee of people in suits decides things. They do trust individuals, which works out to an absurdity because it means they do not trust themselves.

Old 07-30-2010, 05:30 PM   #6

Liked 19 Times on 12 Posts

To a large extent, the ammunition used will have as much effect on the results as would the difference in caliber.
In conversation recently with a veteran of the conflict in Afghanistan, I was told it was difficult to see any difference in wounds produced by the 5.56 or the 7.62. In both cases, the bullets were standard issue military Ball, of course.
In general, I would say it would be difficult to make a definite determination from wound appearance but it would be possible to make an educated guess as to probability.
If expanding (varmint type) bullets were used, there would be a strong possibilty that the 223 bullet would remain inside the skull while even a lightly constructed thirty caliber would be likely to exit, taking much of the cranium and contents with it.
Based on obsevation of the results of a base-of-the-skull hit with a 223 on a coyote at close range, some of the less pleasant results include ejection of the eyes from the sockets and bleeding from the ears. This with a fifty grain hollow point bullet. There was no exit wound. A similar hit with a 200 grain soft point from a 300 magnum resulted in an exit wound of slightly less than golf ball size. This shows the difference as a result of bullet construction as much as caliber. It is likely that the 223 bullet actually imparted more energy to the target than did the 300 since the total of the energy was imparted to the coyote with the 223 while the 300 only gave up the amount of energy required to penetrate the coyote's head plus whatever velocity was lost in passage. The more heavily constructed 30 caliber bullet just didn't meet enough resistance to cause it to "blow up" like the 223 bullet.
Had the 300 been firing a 125 grain bullet intended for varmint shooting, the results would have undoubtedly been much different.
A coconut (though a bit small) is not a bad reactive target to use for testing purposes if you want to acquire first hand knowledge.
Generally speaking, even knowledgeable shooters and hunters will allow some literary license if the work is entertaining enough! GD

Old 07-30-2010, 05:52 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshfireart View Post
dead is dead
Yes sir.

Old 08-04-2010, 11:39 AM   #8

I have to completely re-do this post because I made some typos that made it seem like I meant the reverse of what I really did. The redone version is below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prof-milton-fireballs View Post
what I notice about american anti-gun people is that they love having their decisions made for them by college professors and people with titles. The world works for them if there is some committee of people in suits TO decide things for them. They do NOT trust individuals, which works out to an absurdity because it means they do not trust themselves.

Old 08-10-2010, 07:52 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
...a small entrance wound and a large exit with a partial evacuation of the cranial contents. The .30-06 will tend to totally evacuate the contents of the cranium and split open the entire skull...
Wow............

Old 08-11-2010, 06:32 AM   #10
Resident JackHole
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 262 Times on 143 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Following along these same lines and piggybacking, what would a .308 Winchester be like in comparison to a .30-06?

No, you can't take my gun. I'm gonna need it when you try to take my truck...

Μολὼν λαβέ