difference between Remington 700 and 770 - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > difference between Remington 700 and 770

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2011, 11:25 PM   #21
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 21988 Times on 12398 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceleeR700 View Post
I want to thank you guys so much for the information. Well a little off topic but could you guys tell me about any mods like glassing the stock or free floating the barrel or stuff like that please
vince the problem you will run into here is trying to get a bedding material to stick to the plastic stock as those on the 770 are not a true synthetic material. best bet is to sight the rifle in, try some different types of ammo and find the most accurate one for it. trying to chase extreme accuracy out it, is like a dog chasing his tail. it was designed and intended to be a cheap entry level hunting rifle. if your intention is more inclined to an accurate target shooting rifle, buy a remington M700 new or used, a winchester M70, a ruger M77 or any other way more accurate rifles to start with.

Old 12-25-2011, 10:35 PM   #22

Well my basic review of the 770 is the bolt is loose and sticky needs a polish as for plastics eh I can't tell a difference being my first rifle. I'm going to the range sometime this week or next so can report back then. Overall it doesn't seem bad just lowly rated because the price it seems remington is making us work to make this a high class rifle of its type just some polish lubricant and a better scope weight is good to me haven't stripped it yet to check internals so its up in the air for me. Beside aren't triggers replaceable remember the old remmy trigger that caused the whole stir up between the news and remington quality. Sorry for poor punctuation I had to do this in five minutes as a short review

Old 12-25-2011, 11:23 PM   #23

there isn't any aftermarket parts for the M770 that i know of. so however it shoots, is pretty much what you have. the M770 and the M700 are two totally different rifles and the parts will not interchange. there is an old saying i heard many years ago, " you can gold plate a turd, but in the end, it is still a turd." moral of this story is, no matter how much money you spend on the 770, it will never be a 700. my best advice, shoot the rifle and enjoy it for what it is, if you want a better and more accurate one, i can suggest many more much better than the 770.

that story was media bulls%#t, that never told the whole truth about the remington M700 triggers. most of them had been adjusted by people who didn't know what they were doing and failed to do the proper safety checks afterwards as they were adjusted too low to be safe. also the media failed to report that the conditions that some said happened and the rifles fired on there own could never be duplicated by the plaintiffs or the defence. that is the media for you. i have adjusted many of my own remington triggers and always do a safety inspection afterwards. if the factory trigger can't be adjusted lower and safely, them it's time to spend the money and buy a quality aftermarket trigger.

Last edited by Axxe55; 12-25-2011 at 11:30 PM.

Old 12-26-2011, 03:33 AM   #24

Yeah I knew how it was just media and being biased as it is, but the rifle seems great sure it may not be as accurate as the 700 but I can learn and make it better by skill. Besides anything that needs replaced Remington is at my fingertips and I can order a better trigger I can make the bolt smoother. I. Actually like the bolt better then a m700 only because the ball. Sure it's loose but it's fine with me and gunsmiths can work magic to repair what is broken. And if I make it gold plated turd well I'll post pics and you guys can be the first to see its kind. Over confident yeah but, I enjoy guns and might make a profession out it.

Old 12-26-2011, 06:56 PM   #25

vince i wish you luck with yor new rifle and hope you enjoy it, because i never did my 770. would i ever buy another 770? not in my lifetime! i have found many better and supported rifle platforms than the 770 and will focus my attention on them instead. the one i had, was in 30-06 and the bolt sometimes was hard to close when loaded, the bolt was sloppy and the trigger was heavy and gritty feeling. just so you know, this wasn't my first rifle as i have owned and shot many rifles for over 40 years. i understand the 770 has it's place, but for the type of shooting i do, the 770 will never be able to live up to my expectations. i shoot more most weekends than the average hunter will in a year, so my rifles tend to get shot quite a bit. the 770 was designed as a cheap rifle for the entry level hunter who will shoot at most maybe 20-30 rounds a year. it was never designed to be a 700 and won't have the aftermarket support that the 700 enjoys. good luck with your rifle.

Old 12-27-2011, 03:31 AM   #26

I own a 300 win mag 770. I love this gun. Shoots four hundred yard shots constantly... I put a bdc nikkon monarch scope on it. its taken game in the field and works as good as any of my other rifles at the range except my tika lite 300. I did polish the bolt. Put a recoil pad on it and .75 lbs in the hollow stock. I've had it in the field and the plastic on the body has held up great. So in my opinion some post on here are a little Miss guiding. Geart gun

Old 12-27-2011, 04:04 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69willys View Post
I own a 300 win mag 770. I love this gun. Shoots four hundred yard shots constantly... I put a bdc nikkon monarch scope on it. its taken game in the field and works as good as any of my other rifles at the range except my tika lite 300. I did polish the bolt. Put a recoil pad on it and .75 lbs in the hollow stock. I've had it in the field and the plastic on the body has held up great. So in my opinion some post on here are a little Miss guiding. Geart gun
i'm glad you got one that performs as well as you say it does. but my experiances are based on the ones i have owned and shot belonging to others, in many different calibers. i haven't seen or shot one yet that would perform to my expectations. most of the reviews i have read also for the past few years have been less than positive. with all the negative comments and my own experiance with them, i can safely say, i will never own another one. glad you enjoy yours.

Old 12-27-2011, 11:49 PM   #28
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6344 Times on 3547 Posts
Likes Given: 5923

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69willys View Post
If you're happy with it, that's what counts. Enjoy it. My taste runs more to the 700 Polic But that's just me.

War is the continuation of politics by other means.
Carl von Clausewitz

Old 12-29-2011, 06:56 PM   #29

my accessement of the M770 is this, if it's all you can afford to buy to hunt with and you realize that it's a cheap entry level hunting rifle, key word here, hunting rifle, not target rifle, then it can serve your needs. but, IMO, there are still much better rifles in the same price range, marlin X7's, savage axis's, weatherby vangard, and many used rifles.

if you buy one and expect it to be the same quality and performance as the M700, then you will be more than likely disappointed. the 770 doesn't have the same aftermarket support as the 700, it wasn't intended to. if you own one and are happy with it, i'm glad for you. i personally will never own another, just because, it will never be able to live up to my expectations of a rifle.

i can take any of my M700's, and totally customize them into anything i want, from a tackdriving varmint rifle, a big bore safari hunting rifle to a long range target rifle. i have much more options on stocks, triggers, barrels and ect. on the m700. that is why i will never own another m770 again. resale will also be higher on a m700 vs. a m770. so if i ever decided to sell, i would have a much better chance of recouping my money on the 700 rather than the 770. as a matter of fact, i lost money on the 770 i owned!