Did I pass up a deal?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Did I pass up a deal?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2014, 12:28 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1139 Times on 591 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Default Did I pass up a deal?

Around where I live there are several gun sale/trade facebook pages, as well as a state-wide forum with a classified section. Over the past three years I have bought three or four guns from these sources, and read them almost daily, just in case someone's selling something I can't live without.

Yesterday I saw a posting offering 32 Special Winchester 94, made in 1927, for sale for $300.00. However, the owner stated that the gun would need to be re-blued. I posted a caution, saying that re-bluing would detract from any collector value, but the seller again said something to the effect of "yeah, but this gun NEEDS to be re-blued", and described the gun as "rough". I asked him how it shot, and he said "once it's cleaned up it'll be fine". When looking closely at the pic he posted, it appeared that all the bluing was gone, and there was a significant amount of rust damage and pitting on the gun.

I emailed the seller, saying that considering the condition of the gun, I'd offer him $225.00 for the gun if he didn't sell it for $300.

Well, the gun generated a fair amount of interest on the site, with the general gist being "Wow, a 1927 Winchester for $300.00!) and it sold within a couple of hours. I was the first person to respond to the ad with my cautionary comment about re-bluing, and I could have snagged it. But, as stated, it's condition worried me.

Now . . . did I pass up a good deal? Worn bluing doesn't worry me, but the surface rust damage did, and made me wonder what the bore and internals were like. Bottom line, I just didn't think the condition of the gun made it worth $300.

Opinions?

Last edited by txpossum; 03-08-2014 at 12:58 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-08-2014, 12:39 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1142 Times on 744 Posts
Likes Given: 677

I would of passed 2.. but then im not really looking for one of those

when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Old 03-08-2014, 12:59 PM   #3

Also, I already HAVE a .32 Special Model 94, which I believe was made in the 30's, in good condition.

Old 03-08-2014, 01:25 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3726 Times on 2283 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

The pitting is what would have worried me. The rust also, but the pitting can be dangerous if its severe.

You already have one. I'd say you did well in passing on this one.

Let some other poor soul ovepay and then sink more money into it.

Always have clean socks.

Old 03-08-2014, 01:27 PM   #5

With everything so high now days its hard to pass up a good deal. But sometimes one must. I picked up a win pre-64 (MADE IN 51) 94in 30/30. Mint con. For 286.00 at an auction. Was offered 800.00 but passed. Might never find another for the money.

Old 03-08-2014, 04:51 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1959 Times on 1360 Posts
Likes Given: 1001

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpossum View Post
Around where I live there are several gun sale/trade facebook pages, as well as a state-wide forum with a classified section. Over the past three years I have bought three or four guns from these sources, and read them almost daily, just in case someone's selling something I can't live without.

Yesterday I saw a posting offering 32 Special Winchester 94, made in 1927, for sale for $300.00. However, the owner stated that the gun would need to be re-blued. I posted a caution, saying that re-bluing would detract from any collector value, but the seller again said something to the effect of "yeah, but this gun NEEDS to be re-blued", and described the gun as "rough". I asked him how it shot, and he said "once it's cleaned up it'll be fine". When looking closely at the pic he posted, it appeared that all the bluing was gone, and there was a significant amount of rust damage and pitting on the gun.

I emailed the seller, saying that considering the condition of the gun, I'd offer him $225.00 for the gun if he didn't sell it for $300.

Well, the gun generated a fair amount of interest on the site, with the general gist being "Wow, a 1927 Winchester for $300.00!) and it sold within a couple of hours. I was the first person to respond to the ad with my cautionary comment about re-bluing, and I could have snagged it. But, as stated, it's condition worried me.

Now . . . did I pass up a good deal? Worn bluing doesn't worry me, but the surface rust damage did, and made me wonder what the bore and internals were like. Bottom line, I just didn't think the condition of the gun made it worth $300.

Opinions?
Maybe you did, but unlikely. The odds weren't good.

Old 03-08-2014, 05:03 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2810 Times on 1636 Posts
Likes Given: 1638

If that's the best deal you've ever missed out on, you've lived a charmed life TXpossum.

Let it go, the next "can't live without gun" is just around the corner.

Sent from my (_E=MC² _)

We do not choose our future, we choose our habits and our habits dictate our future. - anonymous

We are all biodegradable.

Old 03-08-2014, 05:12 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatmydust View Post
If that's the best deal you've ever missed out on, you've lived a charmed life TXpossum.

Let it go, the next "can't live without gun" is just around the corner.
Sigh. Unfortunately it 's not the best deal I've ever missed out on, and I COULD live without THAT gun.

I have no idea what the next gun I buy will be. I'm looking for either another .22 pistol or a shotgun to keep in the car; however, everytime I've been looking for a certain gun, I wind up buying something completely different.

Old 03-08-2014, 05:52 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1606 Times on 1099 Posts
Likes Given: 560

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpossum View Post
Sigh. Unfortunately it 's not the best deal I've ever missed out on, and I COULD live without THAT gun.

I have no idea what the next gun I buy will be. I'm looking for either another .22 pistol or a shotgun to keep in the car; however, everytime I've been looking for a certain gun, I wind up buying something completely different.
We all look at other guns, even when our mind is made up on a certain model. I recently ordered a 9mm pistol. Before I actually ordered the gun I looked at every other 9mm pistol under the sun and a few rifles before I plunked down the cash to order the pistol.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 03-08-2014, 06:17 PM   #10
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21583 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

personally, as i have been searching for a Model 94 in 32 W.S., i might not have passed up the deal. if after inspecting the rifle in person, i would make an offer accordingly.

in your case with already having one in good condition, you may have made the right choice.