Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   Dicks Store Policy Sucks (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/dicks-store-policy-sucks-34623/)

NY Marksman 11-21-2010 11:43 PM

Dicks Store Policy Sucks

A few weeks ago I got a $50.00 Coupon from Dicks Sporting goods towards any hunting related items. I decided that I wanted to get a new Henry Golden boy and so I stopped there and filled out the government paperwork. I was told that I was put on 3 day delay and so 4 days later I went there to ask if I could get my rifle. I was then told that they havenít gotten a call back that they wouldnít release the rifle. I reminded them that according to the federal government if no call is received within 3 days the rifle can be released. I was then told that Dicks had decided to change itís store policy and so until they receive a call from the feds approving the sale they will not honor the 3 day delay process. The store manager said it could take two weeks or more for the approval or denial to come through and that in several cases they never got a call back from the feds. When I told the manager that the policy was anti gun owner he told me that I might as well just wait it out and that it would be the same anywhere else I decided to buy a rifle. I told him that any reputable FFL dealer would honor the 3 day rule and that it was time for me to spend my money somewhere other then Dicks. I also reminded him that I had spent a lot of money at Dicks and they wonít be seeing any more of it from here on out. What I neglected to mention was that I intended to let everyone on every website I belong to about their anti gun owner policy. Whatís the sense of doing business with a company that circumvents federal rules at the expense of itís customers. No more of my business will be going to Dicks.

PTsouthpaw 11-22-2010 12:01 AM

I have never had an experience like this one, but I am not a fan of buying guns at Dick's. I once accompanied my cousin there when he was buying his 10/22, because it was the cheapest place in town. After seeing the incredibly drawn out process compounded by an incompetent sales associate, I swore I would never buy a gun from them.

A few months later, I went back on my word, and went in for a Marlin 795 that was on sale. I was quickly reminded why I did not like it there. With nobody else even in the lodge, it took me 10 minutes just to find someone who wasn't "busy" to show me the gun. I did not have issue with any store policies until it came time to leave. After checking out at the front of the store, 40 feet from the door, I went to pick up the gun from the counter. The manager who had carried the gun to the checkout picked it up and said, "Sorry, I have to carry it out, store policy." I was astounded. I had just paid for this item, and like a child I had to wait until I got outside before I could have it.

I once again have decided that I will not give them my business, mostly because of the PITA it is to buy guns there. At the place I buy most of my guns (right down the road) I can walk in and handle and examine any of the long guns without any assistance from anyone working there, and I know I am supporting local people.

dunerunner 11-22-2010 01:22 AM

I never shop at Dick's, you can never find anyone who knows anything about anything!!

Txhillbilly 11-22-2010 01:54 AM

Dick's isn't the only retailer that does this.There are several retail "sporting goods stores" that refuse to honor the procedure that is set by BATF on the 3 day rule.

HKSlinger 11-22-2010 02:30 AM

Sounds like Dicks a .........well,we all know. Dick needs to be in another business.

c3shooter 11-22-2010 02:54 AM

Bought a rifle at Dick's. They did the "carry it to the car" thing. Could not resist. When I got to the car, popped the trunk, they laid the box in the trunk. Then took off the jacket that was covering the shoulder holster, laid it in the trunk, said thanks, got in the car, left. :p

CourtJester 11-22-2010 02:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dunerunner (Post 390036)
I never shop at Dick's, you can never find anyone who knows anything about anything!!

What he said... along with a name like "Dick's", the stage is set the second you walk in the door

M14sRock 11-22-2010 04:02 AM

We don't have Dick's SG here, but I would not shop there.

Here in CA our waiting period is 10 days. Unless there is a hold placed, after 10, 24 hour periods they must release the firearm.

Twpbaseball10 11-22-2010 02:10 PM

i went to buy a left handed 870 there because it is the closest to my house. both of the guys told me " there is no such thing as a left handed gun". then i told them well why do i have 8 of them at home haha. people there dont know what the heck is going on. i applied a couple times for a job there but never got any calls

HKSlinger 11-22-2010 02:20 PM

We don't have one around here. Kinda wish we did. Would be fun to go in once a week and harass the help.:D No left handed guns,please.