Design A "Long Hunter" Rifle... - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion >

Design A "Long Hunter" Rifle...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2009, 05:32 AM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXFun86 View Post
Is it just me or have a few of you missed what the original poster said? No matter how many times he says the same thing, he gets an ignorant reply? He asked for YOUR PERSONAL PREFERENCE... not what you thought of his. I'm just surprised how some folks responded.

Now on to the topic, while the SKS is a fairly stout rifle, I personally find it too front heavy. Mine has a T-6 stock on it but still feels awful in my hands so it deff wouldn't be my first choice. And although I love my AR platform, its just too heavy all around for a long trip, and doesn't pack much punch for all that weight. Out of all the avaiable platforms out there, the Springfield SOCOM II in .308 would be my choice. In fact, I'm so impressed with the rifle that I doubt I'd make any changes.
When was the last time that you packed around an M4gery or a SOCOM? The SOCOM is a poorly functioning platform and it's half again the weight of an M4. An M4 weighs just shy of 7 pounds with a full 30 rd. mag and has provisions to mount optics without expensive and unstable additions. It's a combat proven platform. The SOCOM II, which oddly enough isn't used by a single troop assigned to SOCOM, weighs in at whopping 10.5 pounds, empty.

Your argument comes down to weight, but it fails miserably and calls on an unproven and reportedly unreliable platform, that is much heavier than others mentioned in other arguments.

We all stated our "PERSONAL PREFERENCE". If you didn't like what we had to say, don't post. Besides, I've moved well over 100 miles in much less than 5 days with M60s and M249s, yet they don't fit most of his requirements, nor does the SOCOM. I'd do the job he's describing with an SEI Milspec Crazy Horse M14 SDM and a couple thousand rounds in a heartbeat though, as long as I had reliable optics and a good can.

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Last edited by matt g; 01-14-2009 at 05:44 AM.

Old 01-15-2009, 04:03 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt g View Post
When was the last time that you packed around an M4gery or a SOCOM? The SOCOM is a poorly functioning platform and it's half again the weight of an M4. An M4 weighs just shy of 7 pounds with a full 30 rd. mag and has provisions to mount optics without expensive and unstable additions. It's a combat proven platform. The SOCOM II, which oddly enough isn't used by a single troop assigned to SOCOM, weighs in at whopping 10.5 pounds, empty.

Your argument comes down to weight, but it fails miserably and calls on an unproven and reportedly unreliable platform, that is much heavier than others mentioned in other arguments.

We all stated our "PERSONAL PREFERENCE". If you didn't like what we had to say, don't post. Besides, I've moved well over 100 miles in much less than 5 days with M60s and M249s, yet they don't fit most of his requirements, nor does the SOCOM. I'd do the job he's describing with an SEI Milspec Crazy Horse M14 SDM and a couple thousand rounds in a heartbeat though, as long as I had reliable optics and a good can.
Its funny that you use the term "argument" when describing my comments. I wasn't arguing with anyone. I merely said MY M4. Do you know how much MY M4 weighs? And once again, he didn't ask anyone to build his rifle. He asked what people would prefer for themselves. I would prefer the SOCOM II. Perhaps you should pay a little closer attention before you get upset. My comment wasn't about people not expressing what they liked, but people slamming other peoples preferences. Notice I didn't say anything negative about your choice? Perhaps its not my fave, but thats no reason to express unsupported negativity about it. Its one thing to say you dislike something, quite another to try to make out another person as foolish for liking it. Just like a person who likes the SKS as opposed to one who does not. While I've noticed some of the threads on here are very helpful, I've also noticed that theres a lot of pettiness on here as well. Considering this is the only post I've put up thats drew a negative response and now I'm "banned" for a few days... just seems odd. You're also not the only person to have ever carried an M249 around for a bit. Just cause I've done it doesn't mean I liked it. I personally like to stay as light as possible while maintaining a round I see as adequate for anything I may encounter. I'd like to say I'm sorry I offended you, but I'm not. The comment was not directed at you, nor did it contain anything offensive in it in my opinion. The intent was to draw attention to the original posters question. And as to the "when was the last time..." comment, I carried an M4 in the Army almost the entire time I was in sir. I also hunt with my SOCOM. Now I'll admit thats not the same as carrying it for days on end, but you do get a feel for the rifle.

Last edited by MXFun85; 01-15-2009 at 04:17 AM.

Old 01-15-2009, 05:45 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

MXfun:

Argument, (Noun):

1: a: a reason given in proof or rebuttal
b: discourse intended to persuade

2: a: the act or process of arguing
b: a coherent series of statements leading from a premise to a conclusion

The word "argument" carries negative connotation, but many times, when people share ideas it is an argument. Any time one or more views are presented, it is an argument.

There is nothing un-civil happening in this thread, it's merely a group of people presenting viewpoints.

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 01-15-2009, 07:04 PM   #14

Liked 38 Times on 32 Posts

What is it exactly that we are arguing over?

I take it long hunters were some kind of LRP unit in the military. Mine would be an M-4 with safe semi burst and full selector. I want a 32" SS highly polished barrel with a scaled down fully auto 40mm granade launcher uder neith it.

My god newbie got some BIG huevos rancheros. talkin to the mods like that. WOW atleast I didn't start until I had a few hundred post under my belt....

Now I keep matt busy nukin my posts.

Old 01-16-2009, 11:42 PM   #15

An argument implies that a comment was designed for a response from others. As its an opinion, and an expression of my thoughts, it was not intended in that way. Now to say you personally disagree with my choice is one thing. To imply that I am unknowledgable, and when you ask someone "when was the last time you..." it carries a note of arrogance. Perhaps not what was intended, but the whole point is that we should be able to talk with out it turning into a pissing match. I'll be the first to say "ignorant" was a poor word choice on my part.