Design A "Long Hunter" Rifle...
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Design A "Long Hunter" Rifle...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2009, 09:15 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 14 Times on 8 Posts

Default Design A "Long Hunter" Rifle...

Hello,

There's really no rifle out there, that I've found, that is what I consider perfect for my uses.

If I were to design one, it would go something like this:

1) Start with an SKS.

2) Take the barrel down to 16.5" or so.

3) Mount in a synthetic stock, same dimensions as the original except for the butt stock, which should be 1"-2" longer.

4) The stock should have a cutout for a folded bayonet. The bayonet should stay on the rifle.

5) Mount M16 style peep sights on the rear of the cover. The 0-2 should be large for fast action, while the 3 should be small for precision.

6) I prefer stripper clips.

7) This is my biggest complaint - Someone needs to offer an aftermarket trigger assembly that breaks like an American trigger and does not slide. It should, however, stay robust.

8) Large, bright red front sight.

9) Ambi safety, preferably with a modification to block the sear as well.

Alternatively, if the M1 carbine could be had in a slightly more powerful cartridge and magazines could be had cheaply, I may substitute that.

If I have to kill a deer with a ball round though, I'd rather it be from a larger caliber, fast bullet. I also like the penetration of rifle rounds and .30 caliber intermediate rounds vs .22 caliber intermediate rounds.

Something else I'd strongly consider would be an M1A modified with a fixed magazine and using enbloc clips.

If you can't tell, I really don't want to lose a limited supply of magazines and turn my rifle into a single shot.

I'm picturing a light rifle for modern long hunters traveling light and other folks needing lots of accurate firepower to make up for small numbers. Sorta' like a modern Kentucky/Pennsylvania rifle, but quicker to load.

My SKS is pretty close to what I listed; it doesn't not have a synthetic stock or a shortened barrel however, and I'm still trying to get the trigger to work like I want it to.

Any of those would work for me with the modifications mentioned.

If you could design any (legal) rifle for a long hunt, what would it be, and why? For the long hunt, the goal would be 100 miles in 5 days.

Josh <><

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-12-2009, 09:21 PM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Dude, you lost me when you said the words "Hunter" and "SKS" in the same post.

They cancel each other out I am afraid.... Unless by "hunter" you mean hunting humans, in which case I would still opt for a different package...

JD

Old 01-12-2009, 09:46 PM   #3

The SKS is perfectly capable of taking deer...

That said, a LONG HUNTER was sort of an informal forward scout of the new United States. Think Daniel and Squire Boone, for example.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_hunter

In other words, if you were doing this today, what rifle would you take? If they don't make it, design it. Remember it's for killing food to eat and for defending yourself against both two and four legged attackers.

Josh <><

Old 01-12-2009, 09:49 PM   #4

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Yep, still lost me with the letters SKS -

I never said it wasn't good for taking deer, I am just saying designing a rifle from the ground up for traveling, hiking and shooting, that wouldn't be the first choice of the folks I know.

But, the best thing is, without us buying them, there are plenty more available for you and yours.

JD

Old 01-13-2009, 12:08 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

I'm lost. I carried an M16A2, M4 or M249 when I was a "long hunter".

Oh hey, an M4, that would be perfect and you wouldn't even need to tapco**** an SKS.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Last edited by matt g; 01-14-2009 at 06:29 AM.

Old 01-13-2009, 01:32 AM   #6

Liked 9 Times on 3 Posts

Aren't you just looking for a lever gun???

9x18=Makarov

Old 01-13-2009, 06:08 AM   #7

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

yah, Marlin 336 30-30. What more do you want?

Old 01-13-2009, 07:57 PM   #8

Just asking what you all would personally choose. I'm not looking for anything in particular. I already have my knock about guns and am looking at the AR platforms right now, and saving my pennies.

Josh <><

Old 01-13-2009, 09:14 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua M. Smith View Post
Just asking what you all would personally choose. I'm not looking for anything in particular. I already have my knock about guns and am looking at the AR platforms right now, and saving my pennies.

Josh <><
An AR with a 14 1/2" barrel would be as close to perfect as you'll get for the application, but would require an SBR tax stamp (more on this later). You don't get the permanently attached bayonet, but you do get the lug, so you can fix a bayonet in the event that you ever really needed to. The M9 bayonet is a pretty stout unit and I'd bet money that it would hold up to combat better than the SKS unit.

2) Take the barrel down to 16.5" or so.

Check, with the direct connect muzzle break mentioned later, you'd be just short of that.

3) Mount in a synthetic stock, same dimensions as the original except for the butt stock, which should be 1"-2" longer.

Check

4) The stock should have a cutout for a folded bayonet. The bayonet should stay on the rifle.

Nope

5) Mount M16 style peep sights on the rear of the cover. The 0-2 should be large for fast action, while the 3 should be small for precision.

Check

6) I prefer stripper clips.

You'd still need magazines, but USGI ammo comes packaged in strippers.
Check

7) This is my biggest complaint - Someone needs to offer an aftermarket trigger assembly that breaks like an American trigger and does not slide. It should, however, stay robust.

Check - After market triggers are available that make the AR platform feel like a bolt gun.

8) Large, bright red front sight.

Fingernail polish - Check

9) Ambi safety, preferably with a modification to block the sear as well.

Available in the after market - Check

The M4 (clone AR) is the perfect platform for what you want to do. You'll spend double what you would with the SKS, but in the end fit and finish will be superior to a tapco****ed SKS. Accuracy and effective range will also be superior to said SKS, this will give you the added benefit of having to carry less ammo.

Ideally, if you live in a free state and can legally posses Class III items, I'd look for a Colt Model 610B/GAU-5 lower and put an M4 upper on it. To that upper, I'd add some sort of combat optics, a quick connect flash suppressor and get a decent sound suppressor to attach to it. This would give you the benefit of being able to drop your "game" without alerting them to your presence. Again, this adds to your lethality, which in turn saves you ammo.

The 610B type CAR-15 has a 4 way selector with no stops. It can be turned 360º in either direction. Burst on the 610Bs is also tunable from 2 rounds to 6 rounds.

I'm not a fan of the AR platform as a battle rifle, but it can and will do what you're asking it to do perfectly. If you're willing to spend the money and do the footwork, you could easily build a modern, ultra lethal "long hunter" rifle.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Last edited by matt g; 01-13-2009 at 09:22 PM.

Old 01-14-2009, 03:58 AM   #10

Is it just me or have a few of you missed what the original poster said? No matter how many times he says the same thing, he gets an ignorant reply? He asked for YOUR PERSONAL PREFERENCE... not what you thought of his. I'm just surprised how some folks responded.

Now on to the topic, while the SKS is a fairly stout rifle, I personally find it too front heavy. Mine has a T-6 stock on it but still feels awful in my hands so it deff wouldn't be my first choice. And although I love my AR platform, its just too heavy all around for a long trip, and doesn't pack much punch for all that weight. Out of all the avaiable platforms out there, the Springfield SOCOM II in .308 would be my choice. In fact, I'm so impressed with the rifle that I doubt I'd make any changes.