deer/sniper rifle
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > deer/sniper rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2010, 07:50 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default deer/sniper rifle

Hi Guys,

I am going hunting this November, so I am looking for a deer rifle. But, I have always wanted a nice sniper / sporting rifle for long range target shooting.

Any recommendations out there? Right now I am leaning towards the cheap option. Academy Sports has a .270 or 30-06 for sale for $299 with a 3X9X40 scope. It's ugly with it's black composite stock, but it would definitely get the deer side of what I need taken care of. But, I'm not so sure It's a rifle I would want to keep for the rest of my life to put a bi-pod on and target shoot with year after year.

Any suggestions? Like maybe a nice 308 bolt action with a floating barrel?

Thanks in advance,

Ryan

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-09-2010, 08:07 PM   #2

30-06 and .308 are both great deer hunting rounds, and can give you very long "sniper" range if the need presents itself. There are countless different calibers available that are capable of taking a deer with no problem. I hunt with a 7mm-08 my parents got for me when I started hunting.

The brand of the gun would be more important IMO. If you are planning on having the gun forever then quality counts. I am rather partial to Savages because they are great guns for the money (and they have a vast left handed bolt-action selection ). I am sure people with more knowledge on the subject will be along shortly to lend more insight, as I am young, and haven't much experience with many other calibers/brands.

Old 10-09-2010, 09:19 PM   #3

Liked 740 Times on 515 Posts
Likes Given: 773

Ryan, Target guns, Snipers, and hunting rifles usually all have different attributes. Hunting and long range can go together without question. If you are truly interested send me a PM and I'll give you a list of the rifles that my FFL still has. He retired about 5 years ago as he has MS. Most are new in box, some without the box, some are used. The prices are about 1/2 of what they sell for now. For the doubters on this one, he has a Quigley .45-120 that is new for $900.00. He bought it when the movie came out and it has been in a safe ever since. Friggin gorgeous. The tangent sight is about 400.00 more.
1874 Sharps Quigley ®, 45-70, 45-90, 50-90, 45-110, 45-120, 32".
Sharps Rifles

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.