Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Deer rifle for the girlfriend.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2013, 10:16 PM   #51
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1384 Times on 939 Posts
Likes Given: 474

I have never noticed a 30/30 having a recoil at all. I found a recoil chart. A 30/30 has around 9.8 lb of recoil. That gun just doesn't fit the lady. I can only guess because I have never seen her hold a gun. The LOP forces her to hold the gun in a way that the corner of the stock is hitting the nerve in her shoulder, giving her a stinger.

There is a pressure point in the area where the chest muscles join into the shoulder. You might have had someone grab you there. If you have it's quite uncomfortable, even disabling if the person is strong or trained in hand to hand combat.

A 6.5 lb 20 ga with 2 3/4" field loads has a recoil of 12.8 ft lb.
Shotgun data. http://www.chuckhawks.com/shotgun_recoil_table.htm

Here is the link to the recoil chart. http://www.deerhuntingtoday.com/index.php?topic=8138.0

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Last edited by John_Deer; 11-22-2013 at 10:23 PM.

Old 11-22-2013, 11:05 PM   #52

Liked 672 Times on 462 Posts
Likes Given: 675

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna_Purna View Post
So yer saying 117 lbs is super old then?
My 5'4" wife is 130lb, so she must be ancient!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagermeister View Post
No, it is ok. Glock does not make rifles. Thank God!
They did, or the company that became Glock did. Wonderful rifles!!
From Years ago w/ St. Marie mount. Mount is gone, rifle is safe and sound. They are over engineered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
I have never noticed a 30/30 having a recoil at all. I found a recoil chart. A 30/30 has around 9.8 lb of recoil. That gun just doesn't fit the lady. I can only guess because I have never seen her hold a gun. The LOP forces her to hold the gun in a way that the corner of the stock is hitting the nerve in her shoulder, giving her a stinger.

There is a pressure point in the area where the chest muscles join into the shoulder. You might have had someone grab you there. If you have it's quite uncomfortable, even disabling if the person is strong or trained in hand to hand combat.

A 6.5 lb 20 ga with 2 3/4" field loads has a recoil of 12.8 ft lb.
Shotgun data. http://www.chuckhawks.com/shotgun_recoil_table.htm

Here is the link to the recoil chart. http://www.deerhuntingtoday.com/index.php?topic=8138.0

The Winchester '94 .30-30 just does not fit everyone, whether too big or small.
I'm 6'3" and 250lb. They are just too small for me. The 1892 fits better.
I add 1" to rifles w/ 13.5" pull, which seems to be standard. For prone shooting, 13.5 is good. 13.5 is also fine w/ a coat, but I never wear a heavy coat hunting.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Last edited by jpattersonnh; 11-22-2013 at 11:10 PM.
Anna_Purna Likes This 
Old 11-24-2013, 11:43 PM   #53

Liked 52 Times on 33 Posts

My suggestions as someone who has 4 family members of the fairer sex that hunt and do some shooting competitively as well as having lot of experience on our clubs sight in bench with small women shooters.

1. the rifle what ever it is must fit the shooter proper length of pull and the proper cheek height. Another thing to consider that is almost always over looked is the position and size of the wrist of the stock. Small women and girls tend to have small hands as well and a wrist that is to fat to get ahold of will be a problem.

the shooter should be able to shoulder the rifle and lean forward (standing with the off hand foot about a foot forward of the other foot. Leaning backwards will always lead to increased felt recoil. As well as making it near impossible to put up a good second shot.

To best fit a small stature person first do the length of pull. Place the butt of the rifle in the pit of the elbow then extend the finger to the trigger. the trigger should land about the middle of the joint below the finger print.

Once you have this measurement you can subtract the thickness of a recoil pad (the Pachmayr pad that are a gel have been our favorite) cut the stock to fit this measurement make sure the cut is square. Then fit the pad and shape to fit. A gunsmith can easily do this for you or if you happen to know a Custom knifemaker in the area They can fit up a pad using their belt grinders to do a very nice job.

Then make sure her hand comfortably fits around the wrist with the finger print if her finger centered on the trigger.If not then the area should be reshaped to suit.

Once the butt stock fits the shooter then with the scope mounted (use the lowest rings that will allow the scope to clear the action and the barrel) have her on a bench (so shes not holding the weight of the rifle) hunker down on the cheek piece and see if the Iris in her eye lines up with the centerline of the scope. If not take a wash cloth or piece of ensolite pad and raise her cheek until her eye naturally falls at the centerline of the scope. This will show you how much the cheek piece needs to raise. Smaller women have smaller heads and smaller faces so they need more height to reach the scope centerline.

You can get some Kydex adjustable cheek pieces that can be put on almost any stock wood or synthetic.

Like this one http://www.tacticalworks.com/tacticalblog/just-added-karsten-cheek-piece-b-model-installation-instructions/

Once the stock properly fits the shooter her enjoyment level will skyrocket.

2. caliber is much less a problem when the rifle is properly fitted. .243Win, 7mm-08, 300sav,as well as a dozen others all are reduced recoil compared to a .308 .270 30-06 etc.

3. Barrel length really nothing longer then 20" is of any advantage for most deer hunting.

4. Optics make sure the scope has decent eye relief few women like getting wacked in the forehead by a scope in recoil.

My daughter who is almost 5' about 118lbs has her Expert badge for shooting M16/M4 in the Navy. She can outshoot her husband with her .22 and is amazing with my M1 carbine shooting to the very limits of the gun.

My wife used to place in the top 5 shooting her .50 cal muzzleloader in mixed company at Black Powder Rendezvouses and made a lot of guys angry in the process. Her rifle was built to fit her.

Last edited by awahlster; 11-24-2013 at 11:48 PM.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 11-25-2013, 02:15 AM   #54

Liked 28 Times on 20 Posts

10 gauge slug gun or .50 cal muzzle loader would be perfect for her. Maybe a 45-70

Old 11-25-2013, 03:12 PM   #55

Liked 746 Times on 450 Posts
Likes Given: 402

Wait until after deer season and start going to pawnshops in mid January when people start paying the Xmas credit card bill. This year I am hunting with a Model 700 in 243 i picked up for $250. it came with a decent scope (I replaced it but it really wasnt necesay). It is an older ADL model so it has iron sights which I took off and left in gun safe. The rifle shoots 100 gr Cor-lokts in a clover leaf at 150 yds.