Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Deer rifle for the girlfriend.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2013, 05:06 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 277 Times on 192 Posts

Thanks for all of the feedback.
We've actually been looking at the Marlin and a Remington 770. We can't afford much.
And yes, we are both 19 and she's just shooting the two years we've been dating. She grew up around them though and is wanting to go after a whitetail this year.

Old 11-17-2013, 05:07 PM   #32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6747 Times on 3669 Posts
Likes Given: 5796

Winchester94, a few questions. Was the 30-30 yours or someone else's? A 30/30 is a great deer gun, and has probably killed more deer than any other. Most 30-30s have a metal buttstock, which makes the recoil even more. If the gun is yours, why not get a nice modern pad for it like a limbsaver or Pachmyer, etc?

Old 11-17-2013, 05:10 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna_Purna View Post
Winchester94, a few questions. Was the 30-30 yours or someone else's? A 30/30 is a great deer gun, and has probably killed more deer than any other. Most 30-30s have a metal buttstock, which makes the recoil even more. If the gun is yours, why not get a nice modern pad for it like a limbsaver or Pachmyer, etc?
Yeah, it's my Winchester. It top ejects so it has a side mounted scope and it feels awkward to her shoot.

Old 11-17-2013, 05:14 PM   #34
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 20861 Times on 11858 Posts
Likes Given: 52398

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winchester94 View Post
Thanks for all of the feedback.
We've actually been looking at the Marlin and a Remington 770. We can't afford much.
And yes, we are both 19 and she's just shooting the two years we've been dating. She grew up around them though and is wanting to go after a whitetail this year.
i know the M770 has a great price point, but many and most, myself have had regrets in buying one. i kept mine less than a couple of months and took a loss when i sold it, but was glad to be rid of it. the M770 has to be the absolute worst rifle i have owned or shot.

check out the Marlin X7 or the Savage Axis. they are priced pretty close to the M770 and are way much better made rifles. they can even be bought as a combo with a scope that's bore sighted. you can always upgrade the scope to better when money allows you to.

i highly recommend either the Savage or the Marlin.

Old 11-17-2013, 05:48 PM   #35

Liked 2075 Times on 1222 Posts
Likes Given: 445

This time of year can be tough to find a bargain on a used deer rifle but a Marlin 336 in .30-30, a sporterized Mauser, a used Savage 110/10, or 111/11 are. Usually pretty affoardable options.

I have been less than impressed with the Savage Axis, and Remington 770 that I have tried, when compared to the older Savage 110/111 series rifles or a good used Remington 700. I did like the Marlin x7 that I tried out. That is just my experience with the above rifles.

I don't have a super brand loyalty. I have had bad experiences with Taurus, Kimber, some newer Marlin lever guns a few years back. I've had good luck with Glocks and Springfield Armory. Other folks experiences vary. We have our favorites. People get lucky with some brands. Companies kick out lemons from time to time. It can make for strong opinions.

Old 11-17-2013, 05:52 PM   #36
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1485 Times on 1005 Posts
Likes Given: 513

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
this post is not even worth responding to, have a nice day JD.
I want to know what is your problem. I have never had anyone attack me again and again like you. If it is not worth discussing you have no reason to attack me.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 11-17-2013, 06:05 PM   #37
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 20861 Times on 11858 Posts
Likes Given: 52398

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc View Post
This time of year can be tough to find a bargain on a used deer rifle but a Marlin 336 in .30-30, a sporterized Mauser, a used Savage 110/10, or 111/11 are. Usually pretty affoardable options.

I have been less than impressed with the Savage Axis, and Remington 770 that I have tried, when compared to the older Savage 110/111 series rifles or a good used Remington 700. I did like the Marlin x7 that I tried out. That is just my experience with the above rifles.

I don't have a super brand loyalty. I have had bad experiences with Taurus, Kimber, some newer Marlin lever guns a few years back. I've had good luck with Glocks and Springfield Armory. Other folks experiences vary. We have our favorites. People get lucky with some brands. Companies kick out lemons from time to time. It can make for strong opinions.
used rifles can also be a good option if you know what you are looking for. caliber selection can be hit or miss when looking for something that isn't a shoulder bruiser. i have picked up many really nice rifles used at pawn shops and gun stores.

IMO, the M770 is pure junk and not worth it's price when there are others priced very closely that are far better choices. i got very performance out of the Axis rifle i shot. not a bad rifle at all. my problem was ergonomics. it just didn't fit me as well as some other rifles did. but i will still recommend them. very ell made rifles IMO and at a very decent price..Marlin X7's are a great rifle and one that i also highly recommend. great accuracy and well built at an attractive price point. i have yet to pay over $400 for any of them i own.

Old 11-17-2013, 06:22 PM   #38

Liked 42 Times on 33 Posts

Another option to add in is that there are 'managed recoil' loads available in several calibers anymore.
Recoil (and noise) wont be noticed much when it comes time to shoot the deer, but it can sure make practice unpleasant. And since practice is important, best to keep the recoil down for her.
Have her shoulder several rifles till she finds a fit she likes, some fit some people better than others.
Heavier rifles will give less perceived recoil so a lightweight synthetic stock may be a bit much for her, on anything more than a .22-250.
A wood stocked rifle in 7mm-08 may be just the ticket. But the price may not fit your budget yet.

Old 11-17-2013, 07:58 PM   #39

Liked 1396 Times on 730 Posts
Likes Given: 1932

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winchester94 View Post
Ny girlfriend is wanting to start hunting with me. She's 5' tall, 95lbs, and kind of recoil sensitive. She's shot a .30-30 but has never shot a scoped high powered rifle. What would be a gun/caliber combo that'd easy on the recoil for her?
.243, 6mm Rem or .25-06 are good choices that are not so exotic that ammo can't be found.

IMO, you'll do a new shooter more good by:

1. Buy her a good pair of ear muffs. Not Dollar Store stuff. Make sure she wears them when she's at the range.

2. Make sure you have a good recoil pad - Decelerator or Limbsaver are real good.

3. Consider a Limbsaver shooting pad, too.

4. Be real sure she's not going to get a whack in the eyebrow from a scope, if the rifle is scoped. That hurts and it's hard to forget. Flinchs are usually developed at the range, IMO. Loud noise and recoil will do it. Nobody feels anything when the crosshairs are on a deer.

Sure is nice to see more women hunting. Wish it'd been that way when I was still looking.

C.S.S.A.; N.F.A.; N.R.A. Life Member
Make the world a better place; have your liberal spayed or neutered.

Old 11-17-2013, 08:06 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky7 View Post

.243, 6mm Rem or .25-06 are good choices that are not so exotic that ammo can't be found.

IMO, you'll do a new shooter more good by:

1. Buy her a good pair of ear muffs. Not Dollar Store stuff. Make sure she wears them when she's at the range.

2. Make sure you have a good recoil pad - Decelerator or Limbsaver are real good.

3. Consider a Limbsaver shooting pad, too.

4. Be real sure she's not going to get a whack in the eyebrow from a scope, if the rifle is scoped. That hurts and it's hard to forget. Flinchs are usually developed at the range, IMO. Loud noise and recoil will do it. Nobody feels anything when the crosshairs are on a deer.

Sure is nice to see more women hunting. Wish it'd been that way when I was still looking.
Thanks for the advice.
It surprised me because she asked to hunt. I didn't even have to ask!
The rifle will be scoped, so that's also part of the reason I'm trying to find one with low recoil so she'll be more comfortable with a scope. The only scoped rifles she's ever shot are a .22lr and a .22 WMR, so this is a big step up for her