Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   Deer rifle (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/deer-rifle-89652/)

bowhunter17 04-27-2013 04:37 AM

Deer rifle

I am looking for a cheap bolt action rifle for white tailed deer. I mostly shoot shotguns so I only know the basics of rifles. Any suggestions? How are the used Remington 700s?

Axxe55 04-27-2013 04:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bowhunter17 (Post 1228529)
I am looking for a cheap bolt action rifle for white tailed deer. I mostly shoot shotguns so I only know the basics of rifles. Any suggestions? How are the used Remington 700s?

depends on your budget of course. most used Remingtons are great rifles. i have several myself in various calibers.

another option depending on your budget, the Marlin X7 series of rifles. well made, accurate and some really good features at a decent price. own three of them myself and they are IMO equal to rifles cost much more.

kytowboater 04-27-2013 04:46 AM

Marlin, Ruger, Savage, Stevens, t/c have entry level bolt rifles. The t/c will run around $5-600 tho.

bowhunter17 04-27-2013 04:50 AM

my budget is like $450 at most

Axxe55 04-27-2013 04:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bowhunter17 (Post 1228542)
my budget is like $450 at most

best suggestion is this is probably the best time of year to start looking at the pawn hops and gun stores for good used rifles. good thing about a used rifle is they sometimes have lots of leeway for haggling on the price. cash is king buddy!

kytowboater 04-27-2013 04:58 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I have a Ruger American in .270. Haven't had a xhance to shoot it yet. It feels nice at least lol.

Axxe has some of the marlins, he swears by them and that's good enough for me.

I think the receiver on the axis are ugly.

Axxe55 04-27-2013 05:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kytowboater (Post 1228549)
I have a Ruger American in .270. Haven't had a xhance to shoot it yet. It feels nice at least lol.

Axxe has some of the marlins, he swears by them and that's good enough for me.

I think the receiver on the axis are ugly.

thank you KY! i do swear by them. they are IMO one of the best values in an entry level rifle. now that's an opinion of mine. based on usage and comparison to many other rifles i have either owned or shot.

the savage Axis is actually a solid performing rifle. decently accurate, well made and decently priced as well. my biggest problem is ergonomics and preference. it just doesn't fit me or shoulder like some others. for me it also feels delicate and small. now i do still recommend it though, because i have shot a few of them and they work quite well, just not for me. just personal preference.

kalboy26 04-27-2013 05:42 AM

The remingtons are a great way to go. I would really look at the tikkas though. They are phenomenal for the price.

bowhunter17 04-27-2013 05:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kalboy26
The remingtons are a great way to go. I would really look at the tikkas though. They are phenomenal for the price.

How much are they?

kalboy26 04-27-2013 05:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bowhunter17 (Post 1228571)

How much are they?

Last I saw you could get one on sale for around $500. Maybe a little more though now with the craze. I bet you could find a decent price in a pawn shop though. I personally think it is one of the best bang for your buck out there. Adjustable trigger, extremely accurate, light weight, smooth action, and never had any problems with mine.