Deer hunting with a sks - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Deer hunting with a sks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2012, 07:02 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 42 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 1

For gods sake just buy a deer rifle! Use the right tool for the job.

sks =cheap battle rifle designed to kill people at a 100 yards

modern deer rifle= In the right hands can cleanly take game out to 300 yards and more.

Dont get me wrong I'm not bad mouthing the sks I love old battle rifles also. I have four 8mm mausers that I would take hunting anytime but I reload for them and have replaced the triggers on them and I can shoot a three inch group at a hundred yard with them. For short distance brush guns they are great but if I want to cleanly kill something at a greater distance I'm going to us a modern day scoped rifle. Again folks dont think im bashing the sks i just believe in the right tool for the job.

Old 08-29-2012, 11:57 AM   #12

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiberius10721
For gods sake just buy a deer rifle! Use the right tool for the job.

sks =cheap battle rifle designed to kill people at a 100 yards

modern deer rifle= In the right hands can cleanly take game out to 300 yards and more.

Dont get me wrong I'm not bad mouthing the sks I love old battle rifles also. I have four 8mm mausers that I would take hunting anytime but I reload for them and have replaced the triggers on them and I can shoot a three inch group at a hundred yard with them. For short distance brush guns they are great but if I want to cleanly kill something at a greater distance I'm going to us a modern day scoped rifle. Again folks dont think im bashing the sks i just believe in the right tool for the job.
OK your not bad mouthing the sks but my isn't an sks the right tool for the job? If your shots aren't out past 200 yards an sks is just fine at taking game. The op may not be able to afford another rifle and if long range accuracy isn't required where he lives that more power to em. I would put some kind of optic on it but that's just my eyes not being so good. The caliber is just fine at taking beer sized game but in would suggest using higher quality ammo than Russian stuff

Old 08-29-2012, 12:38 PM   #13

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxbrooksxx View Post
I live in GA. so I'm not 100% on the laws with using a semi auto hunting but I'd kinda like to try it atleast once.
There are no magazine capacity limits for deer hunting in GA.
You can use a machine gun if you want, just no silencers.

You must use expanding ammo, no FMJ. GA Arms sells 7.62x39 ballistic tips, those would work & feed fine.

I usually hunt creek bottoms where there are hardwoods. 50 yards is a long shot in most of those set ups.
Old 08-29-2012, 01:19 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1143 Times on 745 Posts
Likes Given: 678

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper03 View Post
sxx,

Not the greatest caliber for deer hunting. And as some have stated State Laws also govern the rifle regarding capacity and etc. In addition a lot of states have laws concerning ammunition. Like no full metal jackets for example here in Tennessee! It obviously will work but not the best choice in calibers. We tested some 762X39s in Texas last year and had a lot of deer run some distance before dropping. Or multiple shots. And yes they were good hits that with a 243, 308, 30-06 and others would have dropped them DRT!

ive shot quite a few deer. the only one ive ever seen come remotely close to DRT was my last one. ran about 30 yards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1 View Post
Yeah but any round can fail from time to times. I took a spike on the last night of regular season about 8 years ago with a .243 at no mor than about 40 yards.

Damn thing surprised me but I managed to get of a good shot to the vitals broadside as he spun to take off.

That deer ran about 150 years before going down and after skinning the deer I was amazed to find the round never penetrated the rib cage!

It had hit the very back of the right front leg muscle taking out a chunk the size of a quarter and left a perfect .243 cal side profile indent on one the ribs.

The inside of the rib cage was perfectly smooth and untouched!

To this day I'm still convinced that little bastard died of freight!

Tack
i have one story.. using my .54 muzzleloader. shot a spike broadside at about 20 yards. he took off out of sight.. waited for my uncle to come so about 30 min go by.. started tracking. went for about an 40 min and 350yards.. we came up on him still standing!! WTF. i know i hit him. had a great blood trail.. went back to the house. ate some food went back out. found him ten more yards from where we saw him. after inspection of the insides we found one lung with a hole. the bottom of the heart with a hole.. and the other lung was almost not existant.. few parts n pieces and a ton of blood.. still have no idea how he went so far with such a devastaing shot.
when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.
big shrek Likes This 
Old 08-29-2012, 05:58 PM   #15

Liked 2505 Times on 1428 Posts
Likes Given: 1947

I like SKSs, but I wouldn't mod my Russian with a 5 round mag over

a deer hunt. Just use a Mosin M44. Don't forget the soft tips.

Old 08-29-2012, 06:10 PM   #16
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1990 Times on 1078 Posts
Likes Given: 593

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1 View Post
Yeah but any round can fail from time to times. I took a spike on the last night of regular season about 8 years ago with a .243 at no mor than about 40 yards.

Damn thing surprised me but I managed to get of a good shot to the vitals broadside as he spun to take off.

That deer ran about 150 years before going down and after skinning the deer I was amazed to find the round never penetrated the rib cage!

It had hit the very back of the right front leg muscle taking out a chunk the size of a quarter and left a perfect .243 cal side profile indent on one the ribs.

The inside of the rib cage was perfectly smooth and untouched!

To this day I'm still convinced that little bastard died of freight!

Tack
It probably died of old age if it ran for 150 years.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 08-29-2012, 06:36 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

For years, the SKS was the "poor man's deer rifle" in the short-shot bottomland of MS. http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/product_info.php/pName/100rds-762x39-tula-154gr-soft-point-ammo Cheapo soft points might be legal, but i would consider something a lil more quality-controlled. I do wonder how those cheapos there would hit though; they are a good 25 or 30 grains heavier than my target fodder.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 08-29-2012, 07:56 PM   #18

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 12

These are the ones I was talking about.

http://georgia-arms.com/762x39russian125grballistictip20pk.aspx

Old 08-29-2012, 08:04 PM   #19

Liked 17 Times on 8 Posts

Pretty sure someone makes a 7.62x39 specifically for deer.

Old 08-29-2012, 09:28 PM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by FearTheFree7 View Post
Pretty sure someone makes a 7.62x39 specifically for deer.
That would be challenging! Deer that shoot back; i can only imagine the trigger setup.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.