Deer hunting caliber - Page 7
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion >

Deer hunting caliber

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2012, 05:42 PM   #61
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

The only problem with shooting small game like deer with a 45-70 is you probably won't find much left to eat!

Old 01-13-2012, 06:24 PM   #62

Liked 355 Times on 261 Posts
Likes Given: 358

It's funny how this topic can get so hot, and people get heated under the collar over it.

Fred Bear the archery visionary got so good at hunting with his bow and arrow that he once commented he would like to try hunting deer with a spear, to see if that was more of a challenge.

The spear is the historic original assault weapon, used for combat against deadly bears and enemies. For hunting, in those ages, they used throwing sticks (like big arrows) and slings with stones.

Archery is the classic ancient Greek hunting tool, with Artemis the Goddess Huntress depicted with her bow. She is a beautiful maiden (means unmarried) given a male name ("-is" is masculine in Greek and Egyptian), probably denoting that she was a tom-boy, or something like that.

Archery sends an arrow through the lungs of a deer, bleeding it, and dropping it due to blood loss. You will always have a long hike tracking the dear from its blood trail with archery.

Bullets that do the same thing work just as well, from the smallest .17 to the biggest .585. Each bullet has a unique ballistic coefficient, and so it performs differently from the others.

A "collector" with a collector mentality would want one of each, and not be happy until his gun cellar is full.

A "minimalist" with a one-good-for-all mentality would want one gun that does everything he/she needs. That's me. That's why I like the .300 RUM for the USA. If I lived in Canada or Alaska, I might want a .338 instead. If I was back in Florida, I might be happy with a .308 alone.

It all depends on how big the deer grow in your area, and the elk, and the bears, and also whatever else you plan to shoot and how far away?

Last edited by Shoobee; 01-13-2012 at 06:26 PM.

Old 01-13-2012, 06:42 PM   #63

Liked 355 Times on 261 Posts
Likes Given: 358

Quote:
Originally Posted by elknut View Post
The only problem with shooting small game like deer with a 45-70 is you probably won't find much left to eat!
Exactly right. That is also why a 10mm semi-auto handgun is NOT a good backpacking gun.

Anyone packing a 10mm on a backpack trip is not afraid of the bears he is afraid of the other backpackers.

Someone else somewhere else mentioned it.

Old 01-13-2012, 09:30 PM   #64

Nostalgia is a wonderful thing, but so is efficiency.
cottontop

Old 01-13-2012, 09:59 PM   #65
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22314 Times on 12477 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by cottontop View Post
Nostalgia is a wonderful thing, but so is efficiency.
cottontop
i happen to like both. i like shooting older type calibers and weapons, but i like the modern types as well. a 30-30 used within it's limits is fine for deer hunting just as much as a 300 win.mag. is. both will get the job done. nothing wrong with either one. everyone hunts differently, and the terrain and environment is also different. every one has a caliber or type of rifle they prefer for hunting. if the hunter uses the proper ammo and hunts within the limits of the firearm and ammo, and uses good shot placement, then it's all in good hunting. that's whats important. not everyone can or will have multiple calibers and choices of firearms to use as some of us do, ( i have at least 5 that are capable hunting rifles) and are forced to make one caliber serve multiple duties. the 30-06 and 308 IMO, are good all around do it all calibers, as they can be had in different type firearms and have the most varied ammo choices available off the shelf. the 30-30 IMO, is and has been a choice of deerhunters for decades and will probably continue to be used for decades to come. i say for people to use what works for them and that they shoot well with. confidence in your firearm and ammo will be a big factor in hunting.

Old 01-14-2012, 01:28 AM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
i happen to like both. i like shooting older type calibers and weapons, but i like the modern types as well. a 30-30 used within it's limits is fine for deer hunting just as much as a 300 win.mag. is. both will get the job done. nothing wrong with either one. everyone hunts differently, and the terrain and environment is also different. every one has a caliber or type of rifle they prefer for hunting. if the hunter uses the proper ammo and hunts within the limits of the firearm and ammo, and uses good shot placement, then it's all in good hunting. that's whats important. not everyone can or will have multiple calibers and choices of firearms to use as some of us do, ( i have at least 5 that are capable hunting rifles) and are forced to make one caliber serve multiple duties. the 30-06 and 308 IMO, are good all around do it all calibers, as they can be had in different type firearms and have the most varied ammo choices available off the shelf. the 30-30 IMO, is and has been a choice of deerhunters for decades and will probably continue to be used for decades to come. i say for people to use what works for them and that they shoot well with. confidence in your firearm and ammo will be a big factor in hunting.

Well said. I agree.
cottontop

Old 01-14-2012, 07:04 PM   #67

Liked 231 Times on 166 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by elknut View Post
Well,with a standard load I don't think .45-70 will do that much damage to a deer,it's actually a good deer round,now if you mean a .45-70 loaded to max pressure to match the .450 Marlin ballistics than yes,the .45-70 might be a little bit much.
Ruger MKIII 22/45 4"
Savage MK II
Ruger SP101 .357
Kung-Fu Moves

Old 01-14-2012, 07:20 PM   #68

Liked 781 Times on 545 Posts
Likes Given: 847

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatoth View Post
Well,with a standard load I don't think .45-70 will do that much damage to a deer,it's actually a good deer round,now if you mean a .45-70 loaded to max pressure to match the .450 Marlin ballistics than yes,the .45-70 might be a little bit much.
With cast lead it is a great Whitetail caliber. I know where an original trap door is. I want it bad!

Old 01-14-2012, 07:48 PM   #69

Liked 781 Times on 545 Posts
Likes Given: 847

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoobee View Post
Exactly right. That is also why a 10mm semi-auto handgun is NOT a good backpacking gun.

Anyone packing a 10mm on a backpack trip is not afraid of the bears he is afraid of the other backpackers.

Someone else somewhere else mentioned it.
Why is a 10mm semi not a good back packing gun? I would not hesitate to hunt Whitetail w/ it. As for Bear, better then a stick! W/ 170..180gr cast lead it performs quite well. Rifleing is very shallow, so leading is really not and issue.

Don't use a Plastic 10mm, use a real gun. Mine is 1 lb heavier then a standard Gov't model 1911 in .45acp. It was the test bed for the Secret service/ FBI.
Deer hunting caliber - General Rifle Discussion

Old 01-14-2012, 08:22 PM   #70
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2884 Times on 1582 Posts
Likes Given: 810

"Archery sends an arrow through the lungs of a deer, bleeding it, and dropping it due to blood loss. You will always have a long hike tracking the dear from its blood trail with archery."
Again shot placement is key. I have not had to track a deer I shot more than 10 yards. I did have to track a deer someone else gut shot all day. If you shoot a deer and it runs, stay put for about 10 minutes. If it is not immediately pursued it will lie down. Then quietly start hunting for it. You wont have to go that far if it is a good hit. A bad hit could take you all day. This goes for rifles too. By the way it is called hunting not long range target practice.