Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Deer hunting caliber

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2012, 12:37 PM   #51
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 313 Times on 218 Posts
Likes Given: 536

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
both of you need to study up on the 7mm-08! 7mm-08 isn't hard to find and the ammo isn't unreasonable at all and is very easy to reload for. it's been a factory chambered caliber since the early 1980's.

loaded with the proper ammo, the 7mm-08 will drop deer sized game at 300-400 yards with ease. flatter shooting than the 308 and very accurate!

I completely agree! How could some of these guys make these completely wrong assumptions. They have probably never owned or fired or hunted with a 7mm-08 or the very similar 7x57. It seems that the less knowledgeable rifle owners/hunters are only familiar with the common calibers on the list; i.e., the .270, 30-06, and .308. And of course the .30-30, which doesn't even come close to matching the .270, .308, or .30-06; yet they would say that the .30-30 is a better cartridge than the 7mm-08 or the 7x57, in which there is no comparison as these 7mm's beat out thy .30-30 in everyway, hands down ( I would also bet that these guys do not reload.) Pure uninformed hog wash. I will never own a .30-30 simply because there are so many more efficient calibers readily available. I have been reading about and studying ballistics since I was 12 years old and I am now almost 61. And I have been reloading since I was 15. People who post on forums should read and study a little more about the subject at hand and not just mouth off opinions and myths they have heard about. As Earl Pitts would say, "Wake up America!"
cottontop

Last edited by cottontop; 01-13-2012 at 09:20 PM.

Old 01-13-2012, 12:55 PM   #52
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19563 Times on 11103 Posts
Likes Given: 49220

Quote:
Originally Posted by cottontop View Post
I completely agree! How could some of these guys make these completely wrong assumptions. They have probably never owned or fired or hunted with a 7mm-08 or the very similar 7x57. It seems that the less knowledgeable rifle owners/hunters are only familiar with the common calibers on the list; i.e., the .270, 30-06, and .308. And of course the .30-30, which doesn't even come close to matching the .270, .308, or .30-30; yet they would say that the .30-30 is a better cartridge than the 7mm-08 or the 7x57, in which there is no comparison as these 7mm's beat out thy .30-30 in everyway, hands down ( I would also bet that these guys do not reload.) Pure uninformed hog wash. I will never own a .30-30 simply because there are so many more efficient calibers readily available. I have been reading about and studying ballistics since I was 12 years old and I am now almost 61. And I have been reloading since I was 15. People who post on forums should read and study a little more about the subject at hand and not just mouth off opinions and myths they have heard about. As Earl Pitts would say, "Wake up America!"
cottontop
i agree with most of what you say, but will disagree to some extent on the 30-30, it has been around for over 100 years, and there are many more efficient calibers, but it has and will be a favorite of hunters for years to come. with careful reloading it can be an fairly accurate round at reasonable distances. i still like the 30-30 and will own another one soon.

i know from practical experiance what the 7mm-08 is capable of. very accurate and capable of taking deer sized game with ease. also here in East Texas, it is one of the favorites of hog hunters. several of my friends use that caliber for hog hunting.

one caliber i had this summer to try out in a friends rifle was the 6.5x55 swedish round chambered in a winchester M70, i was really impressed with it. he has taken a couple of deer with it over the last few years. very accurate, mild recoil and lightweight rifle. almost like a souped up 243! and the 243 has been one of my favorites for over 40 years, and the one i took my first deer with when i first started deer hunting.

Old 01-13-2012, 12:59 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by cottontop

I completely agree! How could some of these guys make these completely wrong assumptions. They have probably never owned or fired or hunted with a 7mm-08 or the very similar 7x57. It seems that the less knowledgeable rifle owners/hunters are only familiar with the common calibers on the list; i.e., the .270, 30-06, and .308. And of course the .30-30, which doesn't even come close to matching the .270, .308, or .30-30; yet they would say that the .30-30 is a better cartridge than the 7mm-08 or the 7x57, in which there is no comparison as these 7mm's beat out thy .30-30 in everyway, hands down ( I would also bet that these guys do not reload.) Pure uninformed hog wash. I will never own a .30-30 simply because there are so many more efficient calibers readily available. I have been reading about and studying ballistics since I was 12 years old and I am now almost 61. And I have been reloading since I was 15. People who post on forums should read and study a little more about the subject at hand and not just mouth off opinions and myths they have heard about. As Earl Pitts would say, "Wake up America!"
cottontop
owning a 30/30 isn't about ballistic coefficients and bullet drop in the first place its about history, toughness, beauty, first deer hunts at 12, making 250 yard shots with a 100 plus year cartridge. And I respectfully reject your comment about the 7mm being better in every way. You shoot through sage brush and don't see a piece at 50 yrds and your precious ballistic coefficients go to Hell in a hand basket while my 30/30 gets to its target and makes a clean shot. You sir make gun snobbery a overkill practice. Its not always about making shots that you have to track windedge and circumference of earths rotation. And i've seen deer drop with shots to the chest with my 336c while my best friend and hunting partner shot his same place and that buck walked 50 yards. Bullet expansion and how close you are are indeed important as well beyond your quoted explanation. I agree with you that there exist more powerful rounds, greater ballistic Coefficients, and suitable long range calibers but with that said win and Marlin have said that it is likely that more deer have been taken with the gun you'll never buy then any other rifle.

Old 01-13-2012, 01:03 PM   #54

[QUOTE="axxe55"]

i agree with most of what you say, but will disagree to some extent on the 30-30, it has been around for over 100 years, and there are many more efficient calibers, but it has and will be a favorite of hunters for years to come. with careful reloading it can be an fairly accurate round at reasonable distances. i still like the 30-30 and will own another one soon.

Old 01-13-2012, 01:04 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69willys View Post
Yes exactly my point Axxe. there was a time when even good Hunters thought it was ok but they changed their behavior and ideas of ethics to match real world science and corrected their mistakes. your dead on point with your comments about caliber and practice on, your, last post as well
exactly my point. desperate times call for desperate measures sometimes. when your belly is growling and all you have in your hands is a 22lr and a deer standing in front of you, then you do what you have to. i know i would. you go out with a 22lr to get a rabbit or squirrel for supper, and see a deer and the family depends on your hunting to live on, well that i understand. but in this day and age, at this point in time, there isn't an argument for taking deer with a 22, no matter how you try and justify it.

what really floored me, was he was varmint hunting, and took a deer! yeah that's really responsible and ethical! all he is doing is giving cause to the anti-hunters. i hope his type is few and far between.

Old 01-13-2012, 01:09 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55

exactly my point. desperate times call for desperate measures sometimes. when your belly is growling and all you have in your hands is a 22lr and a deer standing in front of you, then you do what you have to. i know i would. you go out with a 22lr to get a rabbit or squirrel for supper, and see a deer and the family depends on your hunting to live on, well that i understand. but in this day and age, at this point in time, there isn't an argument for taking deer with a 22, no matter how you try and justify it.

what really floored me, was he was varmint hunting, and took a deer! yeah that's really responsible and ethical! all he is doing is giving cause to the anti-hunters. i hope his type is few and far between.
Me to its hard to make the argument and stand My ground on Hunters and shooters rights that we are rationale, responsible and educated with statements like that. And here in Idaho the statement alone could get fish and game asking you more questions then any one on this forum did

Old 01-13-2012, 01:16 PM   #57

my viewpoint on caliber selection for deer is this, pick a caliber pertaining to range and distances you will hunt at. the 30-06 is a good all-around get business done caliber. but it is not the only one out there that will take a deer, nor are other calibers less than effective. i have hunted deer with many different ones over the years. IMO, anything between 6mm to 338 can be a good deer caliber. and don't forget some of the larger bores that some use with equal success. also what about those who hunt with handguns, and surely have taken deer with a 357 or a 44? i have several calibers in my collection that will take deer any day of the week, as long as i do my part. one of my next to buy is a single shot rifle in 45-70, and i have no doubt that with the proper loads, it too will have no problem taking a deer. my advise is know the capabilities of the rifle and caliber chosen to use, use proper ammo for the job, and practice so you can place an accurate shot.

Old 01-13-2012, 01:17 PM   #58

I'm not sure who's worse, the guy who says he, killed a deer varmit hunting or the guy who kills a message board with grandstanding about how America needs to wake up and learn more about their rifles. there are many men and women whod put your ballistics and reloading prowess to task who own, love, and shoot the very gun you so trash. Maybe you should shoot "learn" first then speak

Old 01-13-2012, 04:23 PM   #59

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

I've been going of the state website which I provided a link to. I will ask my local game warden about the matter.

Old 01-13-2012, 05:32 PM   #60

The 7mm08 is an excellent cartridge and beyond two hundred yards probably has more retained energy than the same weight bullet in the 308 due to it's retained speed, it has less drop than the 308, both are excellent deer cartridges and you would be happy with either one. The 7mm bullet probably is the most ballistically coefficient bullet made other than the new specialized sniper bullets being made lately.