Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Deer hunting caliber

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2012, 04:43 AM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Sorry man just submit and admit your wrong. 17 hmr. Is a bad choice. No man or woman is incapable of messing up so yeah making sure you humanly kill an animal is more important then you showing off. In Idaho where the deer are bigger then dogs fish and game says no way. You'd be considered poaching if you did. Yep my great grand pa told me how the used to hunt deer with .22 but that was in the 20s. By 1925 he bought a 30~30. Guess why to many deer having to be tracked down. I think 70 years of fish and game regs can't be wrong

Old 01-13-2012, 08:14 AM   #42
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19476 Times on 11063 Posts
Likes Given: 49082

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodiac131911 View Post
Whats more irresponsible shooting a deer in the head with a .17 and it dropped on the spot. Or missing a critical shot with a larger caliber and having to track it out.
either one is irresponsible, that's what. 17hmr wasn't made to kill deer sized game. and a bad shot with a deer sized caliber is poor shot placement. i will argue both with this viewpoint, pick a caliber that is designed for the type of hunting you want to do, then practice with it until you can place your shot where it needs to go. even the best hunters make a bad shot sometimes, but the responsible and ethical hunter will track their game and do the right thing. so i'm sorry zodiac, your argument hasn't any merit. your the type of hunter that gives ethical hunters a bad name.

Old 01-13-2012, 08:17 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69willys View Post
Sorry man just submit and admit your wrong. 17 hmr. Is a bad choice. No man or woman is incapable of messing up so yeah making sure you humanly kill an animal is more important then you showing off. In Idaho where the deer are bigger then dogs fish and game says no way. You'd be considered poaching if you did. Yep my great grand pa told me how the used to hunt deer with .22 but that was in the 20s. By 1925 he bought a 30~30. Guess why to many deer having to be tracked down. I think 70 years of fish and game regs can't be wrong
i understand why, your great grandfather was more than likely trying to put meat on the table with what he had available. it was the 1920's, there was a depression going on and people did what they had to to survive. at least this makes sense.

Old 01-13-2012, 08:43 AM   #44

Liked 118 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Quote:
Whats more irresponsible shooting a deer in the head with a .17 and it dropped on the spot. Or missing a critical shot with a larger caliber and having to track it out.
With a magnum rifle, they normally drop right in their tracks no matter where you hit them.

I have seen hunting buddies shot a buck several times with smaller calibres, and the bucks just keep running. Pretty soon you have a buck with several bloodshot wounds on it. Not very good for the meat, if you are a meat hunter.

Old 01-13-2012, 08:46 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepejeep View Post
Yup, I put a 180 grain hollow point through both lungs of a deer with my 4095 Hi-Point Carbine and it went barely 50 yards and fell over dead. Take out the lungs with anything and the animal dies. That said, the hydrostatic shock of a more powerful caliber will down an animal faster. Plus most deer hunters also have a chance of a black bear wandering by and you might want a little more power to take one cleanly. There are many instances of getting a long shot also and the pistol calibers and traditional "brush cartridges" just won't cut it. That's where the 270, 308, 30'06 and others come into play.
And, Zodiac, are you for real? That's irresponsible and illegal no matter where you hunt. I also find it hard to believe.
Yup, lung shots are ideal, especially if you get both sides (2 or more lobes), then the animal bleeds out for you, just as if properly bled in a barnyard slaughtering.

That is one of the benefits of archery, as well, that the animal bleeds out.

Old 01-13-2012, 08:49 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoJoe View Post
I vote for .308 or 30-06. If you will only be hunting deer, go with the .308. If you think you might be shooting at something bigger in the future go with the 30-06.

While it is a great caliber, I recommend steering clear of 7MM-08 because it is expensive and hard to find.
I have never figured out what a 7mm-08 is good for.

This cartridge is not very good to push out beyond a couple of hundred yards on deer, and the ballistic coefficients of the 7mm and the .308 are practically identical.

Old 01-13-2012, 08:53 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjdigug View Post
I prefer the 30 cal rounds (30-30, 308, 30-06). The 30-30 is good if you are hunting in heavily wooded area but not made for the "long" shot. The only differance between the 308 & 30-06 is really the recoil unless you are going to be shooting over 250 yards then the 30-06 wins but if you are hunting past 300 yards I would think about a larger cal like the 7mm mag. I'm not a big fan of the 243 for deer hunting if you don't hit the deer just right you will be tracking it for hours. It is a very fast flat shooting round but the small cal just lacks the punch for bigger game. It is a great groundhog rifle
I completely agree. The .30 cal is my favorite bullet. I finally settled on a .300 RUM as the ultimate .30 cal.

Old 01-13-2012, 09:18 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoJoe View Post
I vote for .308 or 30-06. If you will only be hunting deer, go with the .308. If you think you might be shooting at something bigger in the future go with the 30-06.

While it is a great caliber, I recommend steering clear of 7MM-08 because it is expensive and hard to find.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoobee View Post
I have never figured out what a 7mm-08 is good for.

This cartridge is not very good to push out beyond a couple of hundred yards on deer, and the ballistic coefficients of the 7mm and the .308 are practically identical.
both of you need to study up on the 7mm-08! 7mm-08 isn't hard to find and the ammo isn't unreasonable at all and is very easy to reload for. it's been a factory chambered caliber since the early 1980's.

loaded with the proper ammo, the 7mm-08 will drop deer sized game at 300-400 yards with ease. flatter shooting than the 308 and very accurate!

Old 01-13-2012, 10:33 AM   #49

Liked 663 Times on 454 Posts
Likes Given: 666

Quote:
Originally Posted by cottontop View Post
The 7mm-08 is a fine cartridge. So is the 7x57. I would not advise anyone to steer clear of it. That's why we reload. I reload for two somewhat obsure cartridges; the 7x57 and the .244/6mm Remington. So, for me, they are not expensive nor hard to find. If a guy does not want to reload, then maybe more common cartridges would make more sense.
cottontop
I agree! I often get 7mm bullets on clearance. Everything from Standard SP to premium. Very cheap to reload for. 7x57 is a great cartridge. The Boers messed up the Brits pretty bad w/ it. Very easy recoil, very accurate.
The old Mausers are superb rifles. 7x57 is on my list.

Quote:
Still attemping to justify. You would have been better off leaving it at your 1st response. JMHO.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 01-13-2012, 12:29 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55

i understand why, your great grandfather was more than likely trying to put meat on the table with what he had available. it was the 1920's, there was a depression going on and people did what they had to to survive. at least this makes sense.
Yes exactly my point Axxe. there was a time when even good Hunters thought it was ok but they changed their behavior and ideas of ethics to match real world science and corrected their mistakes. your dead on point with your comments about caliber and practice on, your, last post as well