Decisions - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Decisions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2011, 07:14 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Okay. What about ammo for it? Is the ammo still worthy to shoot in the spam cans? What is the latest I should shoot? Does it even go bad if it is sealed?

Old 09-21-2011, 07:33 PM   #12

Liked 9206 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by gshunsbergerjr View Post
Okay. What about ammo for it? Is the ammo still worthy to shoot in the spam cans? What is the latest I should shoot? Does it even go bad if it is sealed?
This stuff doesn't seem to go bad. I was told the ammo I have in my spam cans are over 40 years old. Just like food, if you buy it in a can then make sure the can is undamaged and unopened.

There is no such thing as NON corrosive surplus ammo though, and an ammonia based cleaner is said to be the best at neutralizing the corrosive nature of the deposits. I spray windex down the bore and all over the action, but I hear pee works well too.

Old 09-21-2011, 07:38 PM   #13

Thank you. Are there cleaners meant to clean corrosion from the bore? I don't think I would want to use windex, especially pee.

Old 09-21-2011, 08:01 PM   #14

It's more technical than I claim to understand. It supposedly has something to do with sulfuric salts or something that are deposited in the bore and action from the chemical compounds found in the primer and powder of surplus ammo (on the other hand, new manufacture ammo IS non corrosive, but they cost as much as any other rifle ammo; whereas the surplus is so cheap it feels free!)

The ammonia is supposed to neutralize these "salts". There is no problem with cleaning the rifle with windex, I do it all the time, as do possibly thousands of other surplus shooters. And the pee thing? Supposedly an unconfirmed trick of old timer soviet troops when cleaning solvents were unavailable or frozen from extreme cold

Oh and if the bore is corroded, just try to get one that isn't, or scrub the snot out of it with regular brushes and commercial solvents like Hoppe's.
Mine was badly corroded inside the bore, I just recently got it cleaned out semi presentably, now I need to see if it still shoots as well. Before with all the corrosion it was still shooting beer cans at 100 yards.

Last edited by trip286; 09-21-2011 at 08:03 PM.

Old 09-22-2011, 04:39 AM   #15

Liked 60 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
It's more technical than I claim to understand. It supposedly has something to do with sulfuric salts or something that are deposited in the bore and action from the chemical compounds found in the primer and powder of surplus ammo (on the other hand, new manufacture ammo IS non corrosive, but they cost as much as any other rifle ammo; whereas the surplus is so cheap it feels free!)

The ammonia is supposed to neutralize these "salts". There is no problem with cleaning the rifle with windex, I do it all the time, as do possibly thousands of other surplus shooters. And the pee thing? Supposedly an unconfirmed trick of old timer soviet troops when cleaning solvents were unavailable or frozen from extreme cold

Oh and if the bore is corroded, just try to get one that isn't, or scrub the snot out of it with regular brushes and commercial solvents like Hoppe's.
Mine was badly corroded inside the bore, I just recently got it cleaned out semi presentably, now I need to see if it still shoots as well. Before with all the corrosion it was still shooting beer cans at 100 yards.
It's easier than all that. Just pour very hot water down the bore and clean as usual with Hoppes #9 then run a patch of gun oil through it.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling, which thinks nothing is worth war, is worse. A man who has nothing which he cares more about than his own personal safety is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless he is made free and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stuart Mill
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of
Paul.

Old 09-22-2011, 09:39 PM   #16

Just bought a 91/30. I get to bring it home Wednesday. Excellent bore and stock. Not sure if I want to modernize it now. Looks too good as it is.

Old 09-23-2011, 03:20 PM   #17

Quote:
Just bought a 91/30. I get to bring it home Wednesday. Excellent bore and stock. Not sure if I want to modernize it now. Looks too good as it is.
What I would do is keep a good one (with a bright bore and matching numbers with decent wood) in it's original condition. There are so many MN's out there that have been Frankensteined or bubbafied that they're a dime a dozen. I would find one of those to play around with and experiment on.

dteed4094, the Windex is what I've been using because other shooters say they use it and it works great. But after reading your post, I checked it out and discovered that the sprayer attachment at my kitchen sink is long enough to spray from the breech end while the muzzle is in the sink, so I will have to try this and see how it works for me.

Thanks

Old 09-23-2011, 03:27 PM   #18

Liked 2606 Times on 1481 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

Quote:
Thank you. Are there cleaners meant to clean corrosion from the bore? I don't think I would want to use windex, especially pee.
There's janitorial ammonia you can get from your local hardware

store for @ 5$ a quart. Mix half a pint with a tablespoonful of dish

detergent, and half a pint of water. Ventilation, ventilation, ventilation.

Open the window, turn on a fan, don't intentionally breathe this stuff.

Needless to say, follow up with water, then Hoppes #9, run a few patches,

repeat if needed.

Don't forget to lightly oil the barrel when it's clean and dry.

Last edited by therewolf; 09-23-2011 at 03:31 PM.

Old 09-29-2011, 01:43 AM   #19

How do I remove the cosmoline from the stock, bore, and other metal parts? Still waiting for my mosin.

Old 09-29-2011, 10:19 PM   #20

Liked 2606 Times on 1481 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

Field strip the Mosin.

Wipe off all cosmoline with rags and Q-tips.

Dis-assemble the bolt.

Wipe off all cosmoline with rags and Q-tips...

...google, google, google.