DCOA Winchester 94
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > DCOA Winchester 94

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2011, 05:04 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Winston,OR
Posts: 229
Liked 41 Times on 20 Posts

Default DCOA Winchester 94

So I just got a Winchester 94 30-30...and as a rule I usually fully clean and oil a gun when I first get it (plus this had been sitting for 9+ years so probably needs it). I am just kinda intimidated...its easy to pull a Savage 110 or a Mossberg 500 apart...but the 94 just seems really complicated and like it would be a lot harder. Am I overthinking it? Is it something a beginner should undertake? Im really mechanically inclined...but I don't have years off experience around guns. Thanks

__________________
rferguson61 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here


Old 12-30-2011, 06:59 AM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
The_Kid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 564
Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 94

Default

I've had my Win94 for 30+ years and have never taken it apart. I never had a need to.
Every 6 months or so I'll apply motor oil to areas that could wear. That is probably all you need to do.

Exploded Firearms Drawings
That link may help you if you decide to disassemble it.

__________________
...nuff said.
The_Kid is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 01:46 PM   #3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
hiwall's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Cleator,AZ
Posts: 3,390
Liked 764 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 240

Default

A friend of mine takes every gun he buys apart(sometimes he brings them to me to put back together). Unless it is broken or very dirty just leave it together.

__________________

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

hiwall is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 02:11 PM   #4
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
glockman55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Lost in,Mich
Posts: 128
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

I'm one of those Guys that have to see how things come apart. I get in trouble from time to time but thats just me. Try taking apart a Win. Mod 100.
You can find most anything you want online. If I bought a used gun I would have to dis assemble it and clean it thoroughly. You can always take it to a gun smith, or take it to one first and have him do it for you.. Enjoy your fine Rifle either way.

__________________
glockman55 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 04:21 PM   #5
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Winston,OR
Posts: 229
Liked 41 Times on 20 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by glockman55
I'm one of those Guys that have to see how things come apart. I get in trouble from time to time but thats just me. Try taking apart a Win. Mod 100.
You can find most anything you want online. If I bought a used gun I would have to dis assemble it and clean it thoroughly. You can always take it to a gun smith, or take it to one first and have him do it for you.. Enjoy your fine Rifle either way.
Thats how I am. And I will thanks!
__________________
rferguson61 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 05:41 AM   #6
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Winston,OR
Posts: 229
Liked 41 Times on 20 Posts

Default

So I did it...and I think I screwed up. As a disclaimer I want to say it a good thing I did cuz there was litteraly mud in the gun. I got it all put back together...and noticed two things. First...it seems a lot harder to work the action on the gun. Second...when cocked the trigger flops around (to be honest dont know if it did before) and the "safety" where you have to squeeze the lever or the trigger wont pull isnt working. You can pull the trigger without squeezing on the lever. I will say...I had one hell of a time getting the lower tang and hammer back in. Please help!

__________________
rferguson61 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 06:37 AM   #7
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
The_Kid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 564
Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 94

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rferguson61 View Post
So I did it...and I think I screwed up. As a disclaimer I want to say it a good thing I did cuz there was litteraly mud in the gun. I got it all put back together...and noticed two things. First...it seems a lot harder to work the action on the gun. Second...when cocked the trigger flops around (to be honest dont know if it did before) and the "safety" where you have to squeeze the lever or the trigger wont pull isnt working. You can pull the trigger without squeezing on the lever. I will say...I had one hell of a time getting the lower tang and hammer back in. Please help!
It sounds like you've probably broke something already. Now I'd go with glockman55's "You can always take it to a gun smith"advice.

Good luck!
__________________
...nuff said.
The_Kid is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 07:03 AM   #8
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Winston,OR
Posts: 229
Liked 41 Times on 20 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Kid

It sounds like you've probably broke something already. Now I'd go with glockman55's "You can always take it to a gun smith"advice.

Good luck!
Nothing broke. Ive worked with machines, metal, and all kinda of mechanisms...I know when something breaks. Things just arent lined up right...and it has to do with the hammer

Edit: I dont think the hammer is the problem. I took it to my dads and the action runs the same its the play in the trigger that's wrong. There's play all the time. Not just when its cocked.
__________________

Last edited by rferguson61; 01-10-2012 at 07:13 AM.
rferguson61 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 11:39 AM   #9
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 6
Default

Sounds like a weak spring or the wrong spring. Also it could be a wrong screw or pin. They may all look alike but they may have a slight difference in diameter or length causing play or alignment.

__________________
rjdigug is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 12:41 PM   #10
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
glockman55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Lost in,Mich
Posts: 128
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Bring it on over, I took the side mounted scope mount off mine when I got it and some how I lost a pin that goes in before one of the side screws, did not function right also, I went on Numrich gun parts, found the schematic for the 94, and ordered the part.. #23, 301280, Finger Lever Pin...not saying thats your problem...but without this pin it acted like something was broke... Does the firing pin fall out the Breech Bolt when you rack the action open? That's part of the lever pin function is to keep the pin in place. Check their sight out..

Numrich Gun Parts Corp. - The World's Largest Supplier of Firearms Parts and Accessories

__________________

Last edited by glockman55; 01-11-2012 at 12:57 PM.
glockman55 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Why the .243 Winchester? cottontop General Rifle Discussion 22 12-23-2011 04:46 PM
winchester T thunderhawk50 Semi-Auto Handguns 3 11-27-2011 09:38 PM
Winchester 32/40 melie General Rifle Discussion 1 07-26-2010 03:04 AM
Winchester Ammo Super X Buckshot by Winchester 12 Gauge sale truehuntersupply Sponsor Display 0 04-24-2009 04:42 PM