Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   DCOA Winchester 94 (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/dcoa-winchester-94-a-54382/)

rferguson61 12-30-2011 04:04 AM

DCOA Winchester 94
 
So I just got a Winchester 94 30-30...and as a rule I usually fully clean and oil a gun when I first get it (plus this had been sitting for 9+ years so probably needs it). I am just kinda intimidated...its easy to pull a Savage 110 or a Mossberg 500 apart...but the 94 just seems really complicated and like it would be a lot harder. Am I overthinking it? Is it something a beginner should undertake? Im really mechanically inclined...but I don't have years off experience around guns. Thanks

The_Kid 12-30-2011 05:59 AM

I've had my Win94 for 30+ years and have never taken it apart. I never had a need to.
Every 6 months or so I'll apply motor oil to areas that could wear. That is probably all you need to do.

Exploded Firearms Drawings
That link may help you if you decide to disassemble it.

hiwall 12-30-2011 12:46 PM

A friend of mine takes every gun he buys apart(sometimes he brings them to me to put back together). Unless it is broken or very dirty just leave it together.

glockman55 12-30-2011 01:11 PM

I'm one of those Guys that have to see how things come apart. I get in trouble from time to time but thats just me. Try taking apart a Win. Mod 100.
You can find most anything you want online. If I bought a used gun I would have to dis assemble it and clean it thoroughly. You can always take it to a gun smith, or take it to one first and have him do it for you.. Enjoy your fine Rifle either way.

rferguson61 12-30-2011 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glockman55
I'm one of those Guys that have to see how things come apart. I get in trouble from time to time but thats just me. Try taking apart a Win. Mod 100.
You can find most anything you want online. If I bought a used gun I would have to dis assemble it and clean it thoroughly. You can always take it to a gun smith, or take it to one first and have him do it for you.. Enjoy your fine Rifle either way.

Thats how I am. And I will thanks!

rferguson61 01-10-2012 04:41 AM

So I did it...and I think I screwed up. As a disclaimer I want to say it a good thing I did cuz there was litteraly mud in the gun. I got it all put back together...and noticed two things. First...it seems a lot harder to work the action on the gun. Second...when cocked the trigger flops around (to be honest dont know if it did before) and the "safety" where you have to squeeze the lever or the trigger wont pull isnt working. You can pull the trigger without squeezing on the lever. I will say...I had one hell of a time getting the lower tang and hammer back in. Please help!

The_Kid 01-10-2012 05:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rferguson61 (Post 672740)
So I did it...and I think I screwed up. As a disclaimer I want to say it a good thing I did cuz there was litteraly mud in the gun. I got it all put back together...and noticed two things. First...it seems a lot harder to work the action on the gun. Second...when cocked the trigger flops around (to be honest dont know if it did before) and the "safety" where you have to squeeze the lever or the trigger wont pull isnt working. You can pull the trigger without squeezing on the lever. I will say...I had one hell of a time getting the lower tang and hammer back in. Please help!

It sounds like you've probably broke something already. Now I'd go with glockman55's "You can always take it to a gun smith"advice.

Good luck!

rferguson61 01-10-2012 06:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Kid

It sounds like you've probably broke something already. Now I'd go with glockman55's "You can always take it to a gun smith"advice.

Good luck!

Nothing broke. Ive worked with machines, metal, and all kinda of mechanisms...I know when something breaks. Things just arent lined up right...and it has to do with the hammer

Edit: I dont think the hammer is the problem. I took it to my dads and the action runs the same its the play in the trigger that's wrong. There's play all the time. Not just when its cocked.

rjdigug 01-10-2012 10:39 AM

Sounds like a weak spring or the wrong spring. Also it could be a wrong screw or pin. They may all look alike but they may have a slight difference in diameter or length causing play or alignment.

glockman55 01-11-2012 11:41 AM

Bring it on over, I took the side mounted scope mount off mine when I got it and some how I lost a pin that goes in before one of the side screws, did not function right also, I went on Numrich gun parts, found the schematic for the 94, and ordered the part.. #23, 301280, Finger Lever Pin...not saying thats your problem...but without this pin it acted like something was broke... Does the firing pin fall out the Breech Bolt when you rack the action open? That's part of the lever pin function is to keep the pin in place. Check their sight out..

Numrich Gun Parts Corp. - The World's Largest Supplier of Firearms Parts and Accessories


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:19 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.