Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   Dakota rifles? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/dakota-rifles-12467/)

Uncle Tom 04-01-2009 06:51 PM

Dakota rifles?

Any opinions about quality/reputation of Dakota rifles? I hear they are high quality, good looking semi-custom rifles but also that the company was recently bankrupt but is now back in full production.

cpttango30 04-02-2009 03:08 AM

Very good rifles. They are offered in Dakota line of cartridges or regular chambering's as well. Dakota offering are expensive as they are the only ones that load them. Most of the Dakota cartridges are based on the 404 Jeffery cartridge.

I myself think they are way over priced. You can get a cooper that will shoot just as good or better for half what you pay for one of them. Heck some of there hunting rifles cost as much or more than 1000 yard heavy guns with optics.

J33Nelson 04-02-2009 04:47 AM

Way over priced. I would rather have two H-S Precision or two Ed Brown rifles for the same price.

LongRifles, Inc. 04-04-2009 04:18 AM

Well as a former production manager for Dakota/Nesika I can tell you that you get what you pay for.

Rolex or Timex. :D

The choice is purely personal.

J33Nelson 04-04-2009 05:42 AM

"I can tell you that you get what you pay for."

They look very nice but so do Bentley cars and I won't be driving one of those any time soon. If they are happy selling to a millionaire only niche market then more power to them but I feel they price themselves out of many markets.

cpttango30 04-04-2009 12:23 PM

Can anyone tell me what a Rolex costing $4000 + can do that my $100 Casio G-shock can't?

I ran over one gshock with a loaded 5-ton truck and it didn't even scratch it. The darn thing never got out of time. it had stopwatch and was water resistant to 100m. Now that $4000+ Rolex can't get wet only tells times does nothing else. Most of the time they don't even have numbers on he face and some times they can't even give you the day of the month. How is that worth $4000

A dakota rifle shoots bullets just like any other rifle. What does it do that is so much better than other rifles like Coopers, H-S, ect...?

BudW 04-04-2009 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cpttango30 (Post 90904)
Can anyone tell me what a Rolex costing $4000 + can do that my $100 Casio G-shock can't?

I ran over one gshock with a loaded 5-ton truck and it didn't even scratch it. The darn thing never got out of time. it had stopwatch and was water resistant to 100m. Now that $4000+ Rolex can't get wet only tells times does nothing else. Most of the time they don't even have numbers on he face and some times they can't even give you the day of the month. How is that worth $4000

A dakota rifle shoots bullets just like any other rifle. What does it do that is so much better than other rifles like Coopers, H-S, ect...?

get you alot more in resale.

LongRifles, Inc. 04-04-2009 11:47 PM

Blunt honest truth is no one really cares what we buy. Dakota/Nesika offers a unique product. If you like it and want one then buy one. If you want an H/S or Cooper then buy that. Trying to compare the two is the apple and orange debate.

If you want something that looks/performs like it was built by someone who gives a ****, then buy a Dakota/Nesika grade of rifle. If fit and finish are not important to you, then don't. As far as "semi custom" goes, I'll say this.

With a Dakota/Nesika.
You can order virtually any caliber you like. you can order almost any grade/species of wood for your stock, you can order your personal length of pull, cast on/off, SS/Chromoly, floor metal, engraving, case color, french grey, blued, coated, and with a plethora of sight options. Not to mention a variety of grip caps, recoil pad types, and recoil mitigation.

All components are hand fitted. I promise you H/S, Coopers are not.

So I fail to see where the "semi" is in the custom part. I've looked at/handled $400,000 Parazzi shot guns at the shot show that still had jitter bug sander marks in the wood. You won't find that on a Dakota/Nesika. (or my guns either.)

Buy what is important to you and what is in your budget, but don't sit and rip on someone else because they offer a higher quality product. As far as priced out of a market. Hardly. There are plenty of people out there who appreciate hand craftsmanship. Getting orders has never been the issue.

pcrage 01-27-2011 06:10 PM

I have been researching for several months for a left hand option in a dangerous game rifle that is dependable and well built. There are really no decent options in the production rifle universe that dont require smithing of some sort (barrel glassing, action work).

I handled nearly everything on the market and Dakota was the best value from my perspective. Jarrett, Westley, etc make very nice rifles but at $10,000 and up the Dakota at $7K was a superb alternative.

Just my observation.

snuff 01-27-2011 08:45 PM

A few of the tools I have used on the job included a Dakota Longbow in .338 Lapua magnum, the M24 and M40 systems both in 7.62 NATO, and Mac TAC-50 systems. Although I did not have to purchase any of these tools myself, they are all extremely fine instruments designed for specific job requirements.

As for the Dakota, the tool I was assigned was not what one might consider to be a 'good looking' example of Dakota products. A model 76 or 97 with exhibition walnut stocks are definitely eye catching and beautiful pieces of workmanship. They are not pieces that you will find at your average sporting goods counter or gun shop.

Quality and affordability is pretty subjective, as what is affordable and high quality to one, may be totally ridiculous to another. One could buy a few other pieces that are also capable, just as one can buy a Casio or Chevrolet that are comparable in some ways to a Rolex or Bentley.

I never experienced one issue in the field with the Longbow, regardless of the environment it was deployed in. It did everything that it was designed to do and did it extremely well.

Would I buy one for my personal use? Yes, except I would most likely be more in the market for a prettier model 76 or 97, so maybe a Dakota 76 African in .338 Lapua, even if it might require that I inherit the farm and sell it to be able to afford one.

Snuff