CZ527 Varmint 223 Rem Laminate & ?????? Scope
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > CZ527 Varmint 223 Rem Laminate & ?????? Scope

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2012, 07:14 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default CZ527 Varmint 223 Rem Laminate & ?????? Scope

Hi,
I've pretty much decided that the next rifle in the safe will be a CZ527 Varmint Laminate rifle in 223Rem. What I'm having trouble with is which scope (+mounts & rings) to get. I very much like the Leupold scope and have been considering the VX3 4.5-14X40 and 4.5-14X50. There are also variations from Leupold for: VX3-L, 1" or 30mm tube, adjustable objective, side adjustment, etc.
Also, this afternoon I came across 4scopes.com and he completely bags Leupold stating that he can't recommend them and basically will only get them in if you insist !! Now I don't know what to think but my heart still says Leupold.

As I don't have a lot of experience with selecting scopes, and have to be careful with how I spend my dollars, I would very much appreciate hearing from y'all who have the CZ527 to learn what scope, mounts & rings you have fitted.

My budget for the scope & fitting is $700 - $900 approx.
I want to use the rifle for varmint hunting of small animals such as rabbits & foxes up to say goat size.
The rifle will be used mostly during the day including early morning and early evening. Now and then it will be used with a spot-light.
The range required is say 30-50 yards out to say 300-400 yards.
My favorite .223 ammo (at this point in time) is Winchester Supreme or Hornady V-Max in 55 grain but that may change once I get my hands on the new rifle and find out what it likes to swallow.

Looking forward to hearing your comments or seeing your pictures as to how I should set this rifle up.

Please, if you think that 'X'-Brand scope is a better deal than Leupold for this type of application then I would be pleased to hear from you.

Thank you, Eddie

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-24-2012, 01:34 PM   #2

Liked 728 Times on 505 Posts
Likes Given: 758

I have a CZ527 Varmint. I put a 4-14x42mm AO on it and was not happy at all. I switched it out for a 6.5-20x42mmAO sightron SII. Now I love it. CZ rings for the rifle work great, $55.00 I beleive. The Dovetail is built into the receiver.
The Sightron gives up nothing to the Leupold, that includes the warrentee. Excellent glass.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 03-25-2012, 12:14 AM   #3

Thank you, I appreciate your hands-on experience. I note what you say about getting the CZ rings / working great. I had been reading on another forum that some people were having trouble mounting a scope to this rifle and had to have the bolt modified. That thought had not particularly excited me. Thanks again.

Old 03-25-2012, 01:30 AM   #4

That depends on the scope. No issue w/ the Sightron. When you get into a heavy rubber adjustment ring, that causes the issues.

Old 03-25-2012, 07:38 PM   #5
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1221 Times on 698 Posts
Likes Given: 587

Like J.P said,The Sightron SII or SIII scopes will serve you well.
I have 4 SIII 6-24x50 scopes and 1 SII 4-16x50.I like the SIII's over the SII's,but they cost a little more.
Another scope is the Weaver Classic Extreme,Natchez has them on closeout right now,and the glass is right up there with the Sightron's.I recently purchased 2 of these scopes,and have been very pleased with the quality of both of them.They only offer the German #4 & Duplex reticle with these,but I like using the German #4,and for $350 it's a great deal on a quality scope.
I mounted one on my Savage 12FLVSS 223,and the other on my RRA Varminter AR15 223.

Old 03-25-2012, 09:57 PM   #6

Hi, really love that picture, it speaks volumes, very nice. Between you and JP I think I know which way to go now. Thanks also for the tip about Natchez, their prices are hard to beat. The closeout on the Weaver is excellent value. Thanks again, Eddie

Old 03-25-2012, 10:46 PM   #7

Liked 460 Times on 267 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txhillbilly
Like J.P said,The Sightron SII or SIII scopes will serve you well.
I have 4 SIII 6-24x50 scopes and 1 SII 4-16x50.I like the SIII's over the SII's,but they cost a little more.
Another scope is the Weaver Classic Extreme,Natchez has them on closeout right now,and the glass is right up there with the Sightron's.I recently purchased 2 of these scopes,and have been very pleased with the quality of both of them.They only offer the German #4 & Duplex reticle with these,but I like using the German #4,and for $350 it's a great deal on a quality scope.
I mounted one on my Savage 12FLVSS 223,and the other on my RRA Varminter AR15 223.
I must say, I am a fan of the stickers on the back of your truck haha

Old 03-25-2012, 11:14 PM   #8

Be careful of the scope in his top pic. It has that big rubber adjustment. This is my setup.

Old 03-26-2012, 02:41 AM   #9
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1221 Times on 698 Posts
Likes Given: 587

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh View Post
Be careful of the scope in his top pic. It has that big rubber adjustment.
There ain't no big rubber adjustment on that Weaver.Yes,the eye focal tube is larger,but that scope also has a 30mm tube.
I have no clearance problems on the Savage,and it has a large tactical bolt handle on it.I wouldn't think you'd have any problems on a CZ,but I don't have one myself.

Old 03-26-2012, 09:33 AM   #10

The CZ is really close. The power ring is the issue. I tried a Bushnell and it was way to close, not comfortable to cycle. Going w/ higher rings is an option, but when I bought mine, CZ rings were the only ones availible.