CZ 550 Magnum Express in 500 Jeffery

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > CZ 550 Magnum Express in 500 Jeffery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2012, 08:53 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default CZ 550 Magnum Express in 500 Jeffery

Are the CZ 550 Magnum Express 500 Jeffery rifles that come from the CZ custom shop good rifles? i've read they also come in 505 Gibbs, 425 Westley Richards, and 450 Rigby etc. but i like the 500 Jeffery best by far. however i've read the 500 Jeffery can be a hard round to get to feed well through rifles. So i wonder if CZ has made their rifles to be able to work well with the 500 Jeffery cartridge? thanks very much for any info because i don't have very much experience with CZ rifles, although i do own a CZ 452 22rimfire and think it's a great rifle. so that tells me something about the quality of their rifles but a big bore is obviously a lot different from a .22LR.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-07-2012, 02:21 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5912 Times on 3085 Posts
Likes Given: 415

ive got a cz550 magnum express in 458LOTT works great. the bluing and quality of the finish on the stock isnt that great. mechanically they work awesome. dunno about the 500 or 505. the 550 magnum express is a very heavy very big very long very slow to swing rifle.

i personally would not take one hunting dangerous game anywhere. its just to heavy and slow as it comes from the factory

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 05-07-2012, 05:31 PM   #3

thanks for the info. i hope to get at least 3 new rifles this year and a CZ 550 Magnum Express might be the first one i get.

Old 10-30-2013, 09:00 AM   #4

Default Great gun I own 4 CZ 550 mag

The CZ 550 mag in 500 Jeffery is made in the custom shop in MO. They are custom altered for the 500 Jeffery and work perfect, I killed 2 elephants with it and my PH was so impressed with the gun and cartridge I had to give it to him as his tip for a great hunt. But went I got home I missed the gun so much, I bought another one. I also have the same gun in 416 Rigby which I used on the same trip to take a cape buffalo and other game. I Sold my Browning safari rifle in 375 H&H and replaced it with a CZ 550 in 375. So that says a lot about the gun. I Also have a Wheaherby 460 that I have used in Africa but the CZs are my favorite. Im not really a fan of sloppy muaser type actions but they are proven rugged and reliable. The gun is also a real classic all steel and walnut no plastic, die cast on other junk. It's not the finest finished gun nor is it the fanciest, but it's a great practical dangerous game rifle. The 500 Jeffery cost more then the other CZs because of the custom work to get it to feed but also they use a fancy grade walnut that you won't see on the standard guns plus the mercury recoil reducer. It's a brutal gun to practice with and I'm oonly good for a max of 7 rounds at the range, after that I can't take any more bad enjoy it. But when I killed 2 elephants with it, I never felt the recoil. I bought all my CZs from Wholesale Hunter online. Great prices and quick shipping. Hope this info helps. Oh, I also used the new Hornady 570g DGS bullets and Norma brass. All worked great.

Old 11-09-2013, 01:48 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-Bore View Post
The CZ 550 mag in 500 Jeffery is made in the custom shop in MO. They are custom altered for the 500 Jeffery and work perfect, I killed 2 elephants with it and my PH was so impressed with the gun and cartridge I had to give it to him as his tip for a great hunt. But went I got home I missed the gun so much, I bought another one. I also have the same gun in 416 Rigby which I used on the same trip to take a cape buffalo and other game. I Sold my Browning safari rifle in 375 H&H and replaced it with a CZ 550 in 375. So that says a lot about the gun. I Also have a Wheaherby 460 that I have used in Africa but the CZs are my favorite. Im not really a fan of sloppy muaser type actions but they are proven rugged and reliable. The gun is also a real classic all steel and walnut no plastic, die cast on other junk. It's not the finest finished gun nor is it the fanciest, but it's a great practical dangerous game rifle. The 500 Jeffery cost more then the other CZs because of the custom work to get it to feed but also they use a fancy grade walnut that you won't see on the standard guns plus the mercury recoil reducer. It's a brutal gun to practice with and I'm oonly good for a max of 7 rounds at the range, after that I can't take any more bad enjoy it. But when I killed 2 elephants with it, I never felt the recoil. I bought all my CZs from Wholesale Hunter online. Great prices and quick shipping. Hope this info helps. Oh, I also used the new Hornady 570g DGS bullets and Norma brass. All worked great.
Thanks a lot, that is some very helpful information for me. I haven't gotten the CZ in 500 Jeffery yet, but still plan on getting one as soon as I can.

Old 07-10-2014, 02:29 AM   #6

I have some 500 Jeffery Ammo for sale. It is about half the price of what is cost new. It is all loaded by Superior Ammunition. It is listed on Gunbroker.com if anyone is interested. Thank you for your time.