CZ 550 American Safari Magnum
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > CZ 550 American Safari Magnum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2012, 02:55 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default CZ 550 American Safari Magnum

Is anyone familiar with this gun? I'm planning on buying it from my local gun store in .458 Lott. I was just wondering if it was considered to be a quality firearm. I don't know much about CZs.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-20-2012, 03:09 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5654 Times on 2954 Posts
Likes Given: 372

i happen to have that one. its VERY heavy. very accurate extremely sweet set trigger. the express sights are great but its just too heavy and slow to be a good dangerous game gun. if it was a shorter barrel and a less bulky stock it would be more suited to hunting.

if you just want a big bore to thump random junk with the weight is a plus as it soaks up the recoil pretty well. if your going to get a 458 lott you better reload as the ammo off the shelf runs about 5-10$ a cartridge depending on the bullet used

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 11-20-2012, 03:51 PM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM
i happen to have that one. its VERY heavy. very accurate extremely sweet set trigger. the express sights are great but its just too heavy and slow to be a good dangerous game gun. if it was a shorter barrel and a less bulky stock it would be more suited to hunting.

if you just want a big bore to thump random junk with the weight is a plus as it soaks up the recoil pretty well. if your going to get a 458 lott you better reload as the ammo off the shelf runs about 5-10$ a cartridge depending on the bullet used
I was actually looking to make it a dangerous game gun. Do you have any other lighter recommendations? I plan on reloading the ammo for iras well.

Old 11-20-2012, 09:09 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5654 Times on 2954 Posts
Likes Given: 372

double rifles are the preferred guns for dangerous game close second the winchester model 70 classic safari express or express rifles. most are in very good shape used since they get shot very little. ive had a mod 70 express since the mid 80's and they are very fast light quick pointing and reliable guns. if you find one in 458 they are readilly convertable to 458lott. but there honestly isnt much that a 458 lott offers that is astoundingly better than 458winmag.

i shoot both cartridges and i just like the winmag better. mainly because of the recoil vs output. i dont think you honestly gain enough in the lott to warrant the extra recoil which is quite a bit more.

another way to go is build up a custom gun. if your serious about going to africa DO NOT SKIMP on the gun. its your life that is literally on the line. a cape buffalo rhino or elephant or lion will kill or permanantly maim you in seconds from a malfunctioning rifle. thats why you always see the actual guides using double rifles.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 11-20-2012, 09:24 PM   #5

Liked 710 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 728

Look at Mauser rifles also.
http://www.mauserusa.net/Specifications.144.0.html?&L=1

A 9.3x62 will do for dangerous game very well. It is the only cartridge allowed below a .375 in Africa. It is .366. A 286gr is a real thumper.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 12-02-2012, 05:14 AM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM
double rifles are the preferred guns for dangerous game close second the winchester model 70 classic safari express or express rifles. most are in very good shape used since they get shot very little. ive had a mod 70 express since the mid 80's and they are very fast light quick pointing and reliable guns. if you find one in 458 they are readilly convertable to 458lott. but there honestly isnt much that a 458 lott offers that is astoundingly better than 458winmag.

i shoot both cartridges and i just like the winmag better. mainly because of the recoil vs output. i dont think you honestly gain enough in the lott to warrant the extra recoil which is quite a bit more.

another way to go is build up a custom gun. if your serious about going to africa DO NOT SKIMP on the gun. its your life that is literally on the line. a cape buffalo rhino or elephant or lion will kill or permanantly maim you in seconds from a malfunctioning rifle. thats why you always see the actual guides using double rifles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh
Look at Mauser rifles also.
http://www.mauserusa.net/Specifications.144.0.html?&L=1

A 9.3x62 will do for dangerous game very well. It is the only cartridge allowed below a .375 in Africa. It is .366. A 286gr is a real thumper.
Sorry it took so long I've been running around trying to get medical paperwork for the marine reserves, but thank you for the input. I'll check out the Mauser rifles as well as the Winchester model 70 express. After looking into the .458 win mag seems just as suitable and obviously plenty enough gun for dangerous game.