CZ 550 American Safari Magnum
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > CZ 550 American Safari Magnum

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2012, 02:55 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania
Posts: 346
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default CZ 550 American Safari Magnum

Is anyone familiar with this gun? I'm planning on buying it from my local gun store in .458 Lott. I was just wondering if it was considered to be a quality firearm. I don't know much about CZs.

__________________
97cobra is offline  
 
Reply With Quote

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here


Old 11-20-2012, 03:09 PM   #2
Moderator
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
JonM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Rochester WI,Rochester WI
Posts: 17,563
Liked 5654 Times on 2954 Posts
Likes Given: 372

Default

i happen to have that one. its VERY heavy. very accurate extremely sweet set trigger. the express sights are great but its just too heavy and slow to be a good dangerous game gun. if it was a shorter barrel and a less bulky stock it would be more suited to hunting.

if you just want a big bore to thump random junk with the weight is a plus as it soaks up the recoil pretty well. if your going to get a 458 lott you better reload as the ammo off the shelf runs about 5-10$ a cartridge depending on the bullet used

__________________

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

JonM is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 03:51 PM   #3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania
Posts: 346
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM
i happen to have that one. its VERY heavy. very accurate extremely sweet set trigger. the express sights are great but its just too heavy and slow to be a good dangerous game gun. if it was a shorter barrel and a less bulky stock it would be more suited to hunting.

if you just want a big bore to thump random junk with the weight is a plus as it soaks up the recoil pretty well. if your going to get a 458 lott you better reload as the ammo off the shelf runs about 5-10$ a cartridge depending on the bullet used
I was actually looking to make it a dangerous game gun. Do you have any other lighter recommendations? I plan on reloading the ammo for iras well.
__________________
97cobra is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:09 PM   #4
Moderator
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
JonM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Rochester WI,Rochester WI
Posts: 17,563
Liked 5654 Times on 2954 Posts
Likes Given: 372

Default

double rifles are the preferred guns for dangerous game close second the winchester model 70 classic safari express or express rifles. most are in very good shape used since they get shot very little. ive had a mod 70 express since the mid 80's and they are very fast light quick pointing and reliable guns. if you find one in 458 they are readilly convertable to 458lott. but there honestly isnt much that a 458 lott offers that is astoundingly better than 458winmag.

i shoot both cartridges and i just like the winmag better. mainly because of the recoil vs output. i dont think you honestly gain enough in the lott to warrant the extra recoil which is quite a bit more.

another way to go is build up a custom gun. if your serious about going to africa DO NOT SKIMP on the gun. its your life that is literally on the line. a cape buffalo rhino or elephant or lion will kill or permanantly maim you in seconds from a malfunctioning rifle. thats why you always see the actual guides using double rifles.

__________________

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

JonM is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:24 PM   #5
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
jpattersonnh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: South central,NH
Posts: 4,993
Liked 710 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 728

Default

Look at Mauser rifles also.
http://www.mauserusa.net/Specifications.144.0.html?&L=1

A 9.3x62 will do for dangerous game very well. It is the only cartridge allowed below a .375 in Africa. It is .366. A 286gr is a real thumper.

__________________

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

jpattersonnh is online now  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 05:14 AM   #6
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania
Posts: 346
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM
double rifles are the preferred guns for dangerous game close second the winchester model 70 classic safari express or express rifles. most are in very good shape used since they get shot very little. ive had a mod 70 express since the mid 80's and they are very fast light quick pointing and reliable guns. if you find one in 458 they are readilly convertable to 458lott. but there honestly isnt much that a 458 lott offers that is astoundingly better than 458winmag.

i shoot both cartridges and i just like the winmag better. mainly because of the recoil vs output. i dont think you honestly gain enough in the lott to warrant the extra recoil which is quite a bit more.

another way to go is build up a custom gun. if your serious about going to africa DO NOT SKIMP on the gun. its your life that is literally on the line. a cape buffalo rhino or elephant or lion will kill or permanantly maim you in seconds from a malfunctioning rifle. thats why you always see the actual guides using double rifles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh
Look at Mauser rifles also.
http://www.mauserusa.net/Specifications.144.0.html?&L=1

A 9.3x62 will do for dangerous game very well. It is the only cartridge allowed below a .375 in Africa. It is .366. A 286gr is a real thumper.
Sorry it took so long I've been running around trying to get medical paperwork for the marine reserves, but thank you for the input. I'll check out the Mauser rifles as well as the Winchester model 70 express. After looking into the .458 win mag seems just as suitable and obviously plenty enough gun for dangerous game.
__________________
97cobra is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Browning Safari tucker21 General Rifle Discussion 1 08-05-2011 11:58 PM
Safari Arms compact General-Logic 1911 Forum 3 05-13-2010 04:11 AM
Safari Arms Enforcer rodwhaincamo 1911 Forum 7 10-30-2009 06:46 AM
CZ 550 American Safari Magnum with .458 Lott MP1000 General Rifle Discussion 8 10-04-2009 05:46 PM