Cutting down a .243 barrel.
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Cutting down a .243 barrel.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2010, 04:44 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Cutting down a .243 barrel.

I was interested in cutting down my .243 savages' barrel into a 16" carbine length for thick brush and such in Alaska.

What will be my max bullet weight that will be effective? I have heard of some rifles tumbling bullets after the barrel was shortened. Will there be enough barrel to keep at least 2 moa at 100 yards? Should I be using reloads at that point or will factory box ammo work. I usually use 75 grain HP's but I have killed dozens of deer with 62's and 55's.

If need be, I will cut it down... see for my own self how this will work and have an excuse to buy a bull barrel if it doesnt work the way Id like it too.

This will not be used at distances greater than 150 yards and only at deer/caribou with a 4x nikon optic.

Thanks for you help guys.

WCU Rugby!

Lucky Taurus Owner... 3 out of 3! PT1911/ PT92F/ 44 Raging Bull

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-18-2010, 03:15 PM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 90 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Your barrels will be way too short at 16" in .243. It is called overbore, case capacity vs barrel diameter and length. I would leave them alone.
JMHO..................

Jim................