Customizing Questions.....
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Customizing Questions.....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2010, 01:02 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Customizing Questions.....

Howdy. Just signed up here cause I liked the looks of the place.
Want some input from folks with more experience customizing than I have...this is what I've got :
Model 70 Featherweight All-Terrain in .270. Bought one just like it new when they first came out..let it go a while later and hadnt seen one since, in long , short or any other action. Thats been over 12 years ago. At least not til the other day. Walked in to a local shop and there was one on the shelf. It needed a little "clean-up" but its in really good shape, IMO.
No doubt the .270 is an outstanding round but I have grown really fond of short actions for all the usual reasons, hence my reason for posting this. And here goes.....
I am looking real hard at having it re-barreled by Shilen in .257 Roberts with a fluted sporter weight barrel cut to 21".
I have recently got into rolling my own and have came across SO many opinions and articles saying what a great round this is. Not to mention it was the favorite deer round of our only (and recently deceased) local smith. I have been hunting with .243's pretty much exclusively for the last several years and havent lost any game to it yet. I've taken just about everything from head shots on squirrels to fairly big bodied deer and all sorts of critters in between. The .243 is really underrated IMO and I have nothing but Positive thoughts on the .257 BOB.
Its not a true short action and not a long either. To me, it may just be the ultimate for whitetails within any range that anyone should be shooting. Being able to handload will up its potential that factory loads fail to do.
Tell me what you think and offer up any suggestions you have..Thanks ahead of time and looking forward to reading your replies.
Shortbolt

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-02-2010, 02:28 PM   #2

Liked 38 Times on 32 Posts

Really I say stick with the 270 if it shoots good.

If you want a quarter bore I prefer the 25-06 over all others. My grandfatehrs favorite California Ground Squirrel rifle was a 25-06 built on a an 03a3 action and topped with a Leupold scope.

I myself prefer the cut rifled barrels over button rifled barrels. But just as many shilen barrels have wins as do Kreiger barrels in the bench rest game. If you have a long action then I say use it. If you love the 257 bob then your going to marry the 25-06.....

Are you going to go with a blued or ss barrel?

Old 11-02-2010, 04:35 PM   #3

Yea the 25-06 is a great round..just trying to stay on a more compact idea. For the 25-06 I like nothing shorter than 24 inch barrel to start getting the most out of it. I've had several 2506..one in a Rem BDL that was really nice gun..one of my big problems used to be I buy / sell / trade too much

Old 11-02-2010, 08:21 PM   #4

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

If the gun is just for a hunting gun and it shoots good there is no reason to rebarrel it. The deer don`t know what hit them anyway. This comes from a guy that loves to switch barrels and play with wildcats. SO, if you just want to do it go for it, but do it for the right reason, you just want to.

Old 11-02-2010, 08:40 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 3359 Times on 1739 Posts
Likes Given: 354

You are still going to be in a long action regardless of the caliber you choose. Personally the .25-06 is a stellar performer. I do not seem to be able to load a bad round in this caliber. Everything shoots remarkably well. Everyone I know that has a .25-06 reports the same results.

The Roberts is a handy cartridge, but gives up a couple hundred fps to the .06. You can still go with a shorter barrel and choose a faster burning powder to optimize your velocity.

Old 11-02-2010, 09:52 PM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbolt View Post
Howdy. Just signed up here cause I liked the looks of the place.
Want some input from folks with more experience customizing than I have...this is what I've got :
Model 70 Featherweight All-Terrain in .270. Bought one just like it new when they first came out..let it go a while later and hadnt seen one since, in long , short or any other action. Thats been over 12 years ago. At least not til the other day. Walked in to a local shop and there was one on the shelf. It needed a little "clean-up" but its in really good shape, IMO.
No doubt the .270 is an outstanding round but I have grown really fond of short actions for all the usual reasons, hence my reason for posting this. And here goes.....
I am looking real hard at having it re-barreled by Shilen in .257 Roberts with a fluted sporter weight barrel cut to 21".
I have recently got into rolling my own and have came across SO many opinions and articles saying what a great round this is. Not to mention it was the favorite deer round of our only (and recently deceased) local smith. I have been hunting with .243's pretty much exclusively for the last several years and havent lost any game to it yet. I've taken just about everything from head shots on squirrels to fairly big bodied deer and all sorts of critters in between. The .243 is really underrated IMO and I have nothing but Positive thoughts on the .257 BOB.
Its not a true short action and not a long either. To me, it may just be the ultimate for whitetails within any range that anyone should be shooting. Being able to handload will up its potential that factory loads fail to do.
Tell me what you think and offer up any suggestions you have..Thanks ahead of time and looking forward to reading your replies.
Shortbolt
I roll my own too! LOL
I'm gonna start saying that when talking about reloading with my buds! '
Thanks for the laugh!
roll.jpg  

When you're out there by yourself, you become who you really are.

Old 11-02-2010, 10:03 PM   #7

Catfish...that would really be the ONLY reason..Cause I want to
I'd rather rebarrel my Model 7 , but .257's dont do well with a short reciever, thats why I was kicking around the idea of the barrel swap on the 70.
What really makes the most sence is to leave it alone. Keep it factory. And start putting back to build that Savage I was saving for when I found this one !

Old 11-02-2010, 10:04 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoroque View Post
I roll my own too! LOL
I'm gonna start saying that when talking about reloading with my buds! '
Thanks for the laugh!
My pleasure..and no royalty charges this time...enjoy

Old 11-02-2010, 10:12 PM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Just out of curiosity since some were talking about .25-06 in this thread...what grain range of bullet does the .25-06 fire? I have heard of people using this round to shoot ground squirrels but I was under the impression that it is a bit hot, heavy, and tends to ricochet. The reason I ask is I know that Olympic Arms makes .243 WSSM, .25 WSSM, and .300 WSSM uppers for the AR. There a couple of other machinists out there that are doing the same thing. I am just contemplating my next AR build and want something a little different, not just another run of the mill 6.5 Grendel.

Old 11-02-2010, 11:17 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrel_Slayer View Post
Just out of curiosity since some were talking about .25-06 in this thread...what grain range of bullet does the .25-06 fire? I have heard of people using this round to shoot ground squirrels but I was under the impression that it is a bit hot, heavy, and tends to ricochet. The reason I ask is I know that Olympic Arms makes .243 WSSM, .25 WSSM, and .300 WSSM uppers for the AR. There a couple of other machinists out there that are doing the same thing. I am just contemplating my next AR build and want something a little different, not just another run of the mill 6.5 Grendel.
60 grain up to 120grain..depending on manufacturer and what type of bullet you're looking at