Custom rifle. - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion >

Custom rifle.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2011, 11:17 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 415 Times on 228 Posts

I have a Remington 700 .308 with a swift scope set in a chote tactical stock and it shoots great. Stock is worth looking into.

image-813825199.jpg
Not a bad priced stock really can't speak highly enough about it.

play the victim, be the victim

Old 11-08-2011, 01:05 AM   #12
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6579 Times on 3639 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wambli View Post
Get a Remington 700 SPS Varmint in .308 and bed it into a Bell and Carlson Tactical stock. You are now in for about $1000. Slap a scope on it and go shoot. If YOU can shoot and this rig won't do sub MOA with .308 Match ammo I'll eat my hat.
I might have to take you up on that offer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
ive quickly become fan of savage. my model 10 is submoa right out of the box with pretty much everything ive run through it.

the savage action is very easy to switch barrels on. if you can change a ar15 barrel you can change a savage.
sounds like the savage would be a great choice too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffin81 View Post
I have a Remington 700 .308 with a swift scope set in a chote tactical stock and it shoots great. Stock is worth looking into.

Attachment 34843
Not a bad priced stock really can't speak highly enough about it.

I like it, but it may break the budget. I wonder if I could make a wooden version of it? BTW, what type of scope is that?

It wasn't a easy choice, but I'll probably go with a m700 for this one. I don't think this will be the only rifle I do like this so I will probably do the Marlin and the Savage later down the line. (That will be one intersting line up)

Thank you everyone for the help. It is greatly appreciated.

Old 11-08-2011, 01:14 AM   #13

Liked 415 Times on 228 Posts

The stock I have was only $230.00 and like I said I can't speak highly enough of it. They have other versions of the stocks that are cheeper but I liked the feel of this one most.

Old 11-08-2011, 01:40 AM   #14

Liked 374 Times on 255 Posts
Likes Given: 35

I have a long range target rifle in 300 Win. Mag. It sports a Remington 700 reciever, a Krieger #9 Heavy target barrel contour 28" long, a McMillan A-5 stock, a Jewell trigger set a 1.5 lbs., a Premier Reticle 5-25X56mm scope with a Gen 2 XR reticle, A McCanns +20 moa mount, Badger Ordance 34 mm scope rings,and an Elite Iron Max Tac muzzel brake. Receiver is trued and action is free float bedded. It's a tack driver. I use for the 1000+ yard endevour.

The rifle I'm having built now is a switch barrel in 260 Rem. / 308 Win. with most of the same as the 300 but with Bartlien progerssive twist barrel. Also known as "T" rifling. I'm also using a Surgeons 591 reciever for this project. The 308 is 11.25 final twist and the 260 is a 8 final twist. The 260 is 26" long barrel and the 308 is 24" long barrel. I'm running for both barrels in Bartlien's #7 MTU contour. This rifle is mostly for 1000 yards with either caliber. The 308 is my practice barrel as it gets about 7000 rounds before it's shot out. The 260 is my comp. barrel as it lasts about 3000 rounds before it's shot out. At least thats my plan.

Last edited by mrm14; 11-08-2011 at 02:27 AM.

Old 11-08-2011, 02:00 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffin81 View Post
The stock I have was only $230.00 and like I said I can't speak highly enough of it. They have other versions of the stocks that are cheeper but I liked the feel of this one most.

I would have no problems paying that for that stock. But the one I saw was $500. I wonder if I was looking at the wrong one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrm14 View Post
I have a long range target rifle in 300 Win. Mag. It sports a Remongton 700 reciever, a Krieger #9 Heavy target barrel contour 28" long, a McMillan A-5 stock, a Jewell trigger set a 1.5 lbs., a Premier Reticle 5-25X56mm scope with a Gen 2 XR reticle, A McCanns +20 moa mount, Badger Ordance 34 mm scope rings,and an Elite Iron Max Tac muzzel brake. Receiver is trued and action is free float bedded. It's a tack driver. I use for the 1000+ yard endevour.

The rifle I'm having built now is a switch barrel in 260 Rem. / 308 Win. with most of the same as the 300 but with Bartlien progerssive twist barrel. Also known as "T" rifling. I'm also using a Surgeons 591 reciever for this project. The 308 is 11.25 final twist and the 260 is a 8 final twist. The 260 is 26" long barrel and the 308 is 24" long barrel. I'm running for both barrels in Bartlien's #7 MTU contour. This rifle is mostly for 1000 yards with either caliber. The 308 is my practice barrel as it gets about 7000 rounds before it's shot out. The 260 is my comp. barrel as it lasts about 3000 rounds before it's shot out. At least thats my plan.
Sounds really good. Thanks for the advice. I'll have to make mine a switch barrel too.

Old 11-08-2011, 03:02 AM   #16

Liked 1318 Times on 749 Posts
Likes Given: 635

Building a custom rifle for around $1200,will be awful tough including optics.

I personally like a Savage action since you can do a complete barrel/caliber change in a matter of minutes if you have a couple simple tools.

You could get a Stevens 200 donor rifle for an action-It's just a non-accutrigger Savage action,and install a good aftermarket trigger.
I've seen them on sale for as little as $275 to 325 with free shipping.
A Rifle Basix trigger goes for $95 or $160 depending on the trigger you would choose.
For a barrel,there are lots of choices-a Shilen Select Match grade will run around $340.Other brands are in that price range,with some a lot more.A button rifled barrel is always lower priced than a cut rifled barrel,but unless you are wanting a precision target rifle,a button rifled barrel will do the job nicely.
Since you want to build a stock,that will save you $200-$500 for a good aftermarket stock.
Optics,You can get a decent scope for $350-600,a good scope for $700-1000,and a great scope for even more.It all depends on what you are wanting to do with the rifle.Some will object to my optic scale,but I have a wide variety of optics,and there is a very big difference in the quality and clarity of lower-higher priced scopes. 99% of the time,You get what you pay for!
Don't forget bases and rings,that can run another $100-200 depending on what you want.
IMO,If you stay 308 or smaller,there's no need in a muzzle brake unless it's just something you want.To me,the increase in muzzle sound isn't worth the recoil decrease.The only rifles that I've put brakes on is my old 30/06 (stock design from the 1950's,not very ergonomic,hard on the shooter),and the Ruger #1 300WM that I used to have.

Custom rifles are nice,but can be very expensive.Today's factory rifles shoot very,very good,and need very little to be excellent shooters.You could just find a used rifle,and then fix it up into what your looking for.It could save you a lot of money,and be just as fun.
I picked up my Savage 12FLP 308 used (barely),in the factory stock this rifle would punish the shooter.I adjusted the Accu-Trigger to my liking,changed the stock,installed a Weaver rail,and put the Swarovski PH scope that I had on another rifle on it.

Before-
Custom rifle. - General Rifle Discussion

After-

Without the scope,I've got about $600 in this rifle and it shoots good.I'm still working up some loads for it,but so far it is showing good signs.

North American Hunting Club

Old 11-08-2011, 05:20 AM   #17
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22314 Times on 12477 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

any of the suggestions on rifles would be excellent platforms to build an accurate rifle on and i wouldn't hesitate one minute in wanting own one. each has it's own merits and would be fun to build.

Old 11-08-2011, 05:32 PM   #18

Liked 374 Times on 255 Posts
Likes Given: 35

"Building a custom rifle for around $1200,will be awful tough including optics".

Jeez, I've done it again. I didn't read that your budget was $1200.00. My bad.

This switch barrel 260 / 308 rifle I'm having built alone is costing me a tad under $5000.00 for this build. The scope is just over $3000.00. The first build cost me just under $2900.00 without the scope. That being said may I suggest a Remington 700 in 308 caliber to start out. It should be less than your budget, for the rifle part, after you possibly add another stock to it. You can near infinitely upgrade the Remington 700 reciever, over time, as you become more proficient with in this endevour. A good trainer caliber and rifle. A good entry level scope would be a Vortex Viper or equilivant but it would be most of your alloted $1200.00 budget by itself. Possibly you could search and buy used to help keep the cost down. Or you could save a bit more. I say buy once... Cry once.

Old 11-08-2011, 06:38 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txhillbilly View Post
Building a custom rifle for around $1200,will be awful tough including optics.

I personally like a Savage action since you can do a complete barrel/caliber change in a matter of minutes if you have a couple simple tools.

You could get a Stevens 200 donor rifle for an action-It's just a non-accutrigger Savage action,and install a good aftermarket trigger.
I've seen them on sale for as little as $275 to 325 with free shipping.
A Rifle Basix trigger goes for $95 or $160 depending on the trigger you would choose.
For a barrel,there are lots of choices-a Shilen Select Match grade will run around $340.Other brands are in that price range,with some a lot more.A button rifled barrel is always lower priced than a cut rifled barrel,but unless you are wanting a precision target rifle,a button rifled barrel will do the job nicely.
Since you want to build a stock,that will save you $200-$500 for a good aftermarket stock.
Optics,You can get a decent scope for $350-600,a good scope for $700-1000,and a great scope for even more.It all depends on what you are wanting to do with the rifle.Some will object to my optic scale,but I have a wide variety of optics,and there is a very big difference in the quality and clarity of lower-higher priced scopes. 99% of the time,You get what you pay for!
Don't forget bases and rings,that can run another $100-200 depending on what you want.
IMO,If you stay 308 or smaller,there's no need in a muzzle brake unless it's just something you want.To me,the increase in muzzle sound isn't worth the recoil decrease.The only rifles that I've put brakes on is my old 30/06 (stock design from the 1950's,not very ergonomic,hard on the shooter),and the Ruger #1 300WM that I used to have.

Custom rifles are nice,but can be very expensive.Today's factory rifles shoot very,very good,and need very little to be excellent shooters.You could just find a used rifle,and then fix it up into what your looking for.It could save you a lot of money,and be just as fun.
I picked up my Savage 12FLP 308 used (barely),in the factory stock this rifle would punish the shooter.I adjusted the Accu-Trigger to my liking,changed the stock,installed a Weaver rail,and put the Swarovski PH scope that I had on another rifle on it.

Before-

After-

Without the scope,I've got about $600 in this rifle and it shoots good.I'm still working up some loads for it,but so far it is showing good signs.

I may just do ahead and drop the muzzle break then. I would be willing to go over budget for a good scope. Do you recomend any in the $400-$600 range?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrm14 View Post
"Building a custom rifle for around $1200,will be awful tough including optics".

Jeez, I've done it again. I didn't read that your budget was $1200.00. My bad.

This switch barrel 260 / 308 rifle I'm having built alone is costing me a tad under $5000.00 for this build. The scope is just over $3000.00. The first build cost me just under $2900.00 without the scope. That being said may I suggest a Remington 700 in 308 caliber to start out. It should be less than your budget, for the rifle part, after you possibly add another stock to it. You can near infinitely upgrade the Remington 700 reciever, over time, as you become more proficient with in this endevour. A good trainer caliber and rifle. A good entry level scope would be a Vortex Viper or equilivant but it would be most of your alloted $1200.00 budget by itself. Possibly you could search and buy used to help keep the cost down. Or you could save a bit more. I say buy once... Cry once.
Thanks for the advice. I bet with a scope that powerful, you could drive nails at a mile.

I may go with the Vortex with a different rifle later down the road. That's a little too far off for this budget.

Old 11-10-2011, 05:10 PM   #20

Liked 2615 Times on 1486 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

1200$? Dang, bro, that's my entire annual rifle budget...

...no wonder you guys punch such beautiful, tight groups at

100+ yards!