Custom Paint Job

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Custom Paint Job

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2013, 07:52 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Custom Paint Job

I'm going to spray paint the synthetic stock on my Savage MK II. I've seen some videos on the spray can method. I need a list of supplies and if anyone has any other method please let me know.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-28-2013, 09:48 PM   #2

Liked 185 Times on 147 Posts
Likes Given: 106

I painted parts of my M&P 15-22 a while ago and if you want a good piece of advice, go slow and steady. Do a couple quick sprays and let it dry, couple sprays, let it dry. If your patient it will come out waaaay better. Make sure to post pics when it's done!!

Marlin Model 60
Mossberg Maverick 88-12 GA
Mosin Nagant 91/30
Stag Model 2
Savage Model 11
Saiga 7.62x39
Mossberg MVP Varmint
Chinese T53 Mosin Nagant X2

Old 04-28-2013, 10:13 PM   #3

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by longunner
I painted parts of my M&P 15-22 a while ago and if you want a good piece of advice, go slow and steady. Do a couple quick sprays and let it dry, couple sprays, let it dry. If your patient it will come out waaaay better. Make sure to post pics when it's done!!
Alright I'll be sure to do that. Could you post a pic if yours?

Old 04-29-2013, 10:58 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTOM97

Alright I'll be sure to do that. Could you post a pic if yours?
Here's a pic of the finished product. I thought I had a couple more but I guess I deleted them off my phone
image-2616450799.jpg  

Marlin Model 60
Mosin Nagant 91/30
Stag Model 2
Savage Model 11
Saiga 7.62x39
Mossberg MVP Varmint

Old 04-29-2013, 02:47 PM   #5

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:

Here's a pic of the finished product. I thought I had a couple more but I guess I deleted them off my phone
Looks good. What brand of pain did you use? Also I was thinking about using leaves for stencils. Do you have any suggestions for that?

Old 04-29-2013, 02:56 PM   #6

Quote:

Looks good. What brand of pain did you use? Also I was thinking about using leaves for stencils. Do you have any suggestions for that?
I've seen YouTube videos of people using them, never tried anything like that myself so firsthand, no. I used krylon paint and it's better to use a flat paint instead of a gloss, you don't want it to look shiny it kind of defeats the purpose of camouflage. People have had good result using rustoleum camo, if you do decide to do a camouflage pattern, make sure you use colors that are similar to each other.

Marlin Model 60
Mosin Nagant 91/30
Stag Model 2
Savage Model 11
Saiga 7.62x39
Mossberg MVP Varmint

Old 04-29-2013, 03:00 PM   #7

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:

I've seen YouTube videos of people using them, never tried anything like that myself so firsthand, no. I used krylon paint and it's better to use a flat paint instead of a gloss, you don't want it to look shiny it kind of defeats the purpose of camouflage. People have had good result using rustoleum camo, if you do decide to do a camouflage pattern, make sure you use colors that are similar to each other.
Okay thanks. How had the paint been holding up since you did it?

Old 04-29-2013, 03:25 PM   #8

Quote:

Okay thanks. How had the paint been holding up since you did it?
Pretty good so far, but I haven't been shooting it too much, I've been having too much fun at the big bore range . Btw I forgot to mention, if you want it to hold up better to abuse, put a clear coat on after your done with your initial paint job.

Marlin Model 60
Mosin Nagant 91/30
Stag Model 2
Savage Model 11
Saiga 7.62x39
Mossberg MVP Varmint

Old 04-29-2013, 07:32 PM   #9

Liked 2292 Times on 1345 Posts
Likes Given: 501

Remember too, that you need to put down the color that you want to be the least dominant as your first coat. Use blue painters tape to cut out the shapes you want and then stick tehm on after the paint is dry. then hit it wis the color that you want to be the second least dominant or as dominant as your final color, depending on how many colors you intend to use.

for exaple if your stock is already black and you only want small strips of black for accents, go ahead and mask of those areas with smal strips of tape. then hit it with your next colr that you want to make larger stripes or blotches out of, and then mask those off before hitting it with the next color, and so on. I usually do a top coat with some matte urethane or some kind of a dull clear coat to protect the pattern.

Old 04-29-2013, 10:51 PM   #10

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I used leaves as a stencil, but was too nervous to try it on my gun, so I started with ammo cans. It gave me a good idea of finished product and what to expect. I'll post a pick of them when I get home. Still haven't painted a gun though.

Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man. -Thomas Jefferson's "Commonplace Book"