Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   Custom Paint Job (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/custom-paint-job-89738/)

DTOM97 04-28-2013 08:52 PM

Custom Paint Job

I'm going to spray paint the synthetic stock on my Savage MK II. I've seen some videos on the spray can method. I need a list of supplies and if anyone has any other method please let me know.

longunner 04-28-2013 10:48 PM

I painted parts of my M&P 15-22 a while ago and if you want a good piece of advice, go slow and steady. Do a couple quick sprays and let it dry, couple sprays, let it dry. If your patient it will come out waaaay better. Make sure to post pics when it's done!!

DTOM97 04-28-2013 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by longunner
I painted parts of my M&P 15-22 a while ago and if you want a good piece of advice, go slow and steady. Do a couple quick sprays and let it dry, couple sprays, let it dry. If your patient it will come out waaaay better. Make sure to post pics when it's done!!

Alright I'll be sure to do that. Could you post a pic if yours?

longunner 04-29-2013 11:58 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by DTOM97

Alright I'll be sure to do that. Could you post a pic if yours?

Here's a pic of the finished product. I thought I had a couple more but I guess I deleted them off my phone

DTOM97 04-29-2013 03:47 PM

Quote:

Here's a pic of the finished product. I thought I had a couple more but I guess I deleted them off my phone

Looks good. What brand of pain did you use? Also I was thinking about using leaves for stencils. Do you have any suggestions for that?

longunner 04-29-2013 03:56 PM

Quote:

Looks good. What brand of pain did you use? Also I was thinking about using leaves for stencils. Do you have any suggestions for that?

I've seen YouTube videos of people using them, never tried anything like that myself so firsthand, no. I used krylon paint and it's better to use a flat paint instead of a gloss, you don't want it to look shiny it kind of defeats the purpose of camouflage. People have had good result using rustoleum camo, if you do decide to do a camouflage pattern, make sure you use colors that are similar to each other.

DTOM97 04-29-2013 04:00 PM

Quote:

I've seen YouTube videos of people using them, never tried anything like that myself so firsthand, no. I used krylon paint and it's better to use a flat paint instead of a gloss, you don't want it to look shiny it kind of defeats the purpose of camouflage. People have had good result using rustoleum camo, if you do decide to do a camouflage pattern, make sure you use colors that are similar to each other.

Okay thanks. How had the paint been holding up since you did it?

longunner 04-29-2013 04:25 PM

Quote:

Okay thanks. How had the paint been holding up since you did it?

Pretty good so far, but I haven't been shooting it too much, I've been having too much fun at the big bore range :D. Btw I forgot to mention, if you want it to hold up better to abuse, put a clear coat on after your done with your initial paint job.

SSGN_Doc 04-29-2013 08:32 PM

Remember too, that you need to put down the color that you want to be the least dominant as your first coat. Use blue painters tape to cut out the shapes you want and then stick tehm on after the paint is dry. then hit it wis the color that you want to be the second least dominant or as dominant as your final color, depending on how many colors you intend to use.

for exaple if your stock is already black and you only want small strips of black for accents, go ahead and mask of those areas with smal strips of tape. then hit it with your next colr that you want to make larger stripes or blotches out of, and then mask those off before hitting it with the next color, and so on. I usually do a top coat with some matte urethane or some kind of a dull clear coat to protect the pattern.

DavidB 04-29-2013 11:51 PM

I used leaves as a stencil, but was too nervous to try it on my gun, so I started with ammo cans. It gave me a good idea of finished product and what to expect. I'll post a pick of them when I get home. Still haven't painted a gun though.