Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Custom Mosin Nagant

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2012, 08:43 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Custom Mosin Nagant

My father and I recently have been discussing taking a Mosin Nagant and tricking it out. We will each be doing our own rifle and then when I go home for leave this summer we are going to have a small competition. Hopefully the sailor (me) will beat the marine (him). Anyways, I plan on picking another one up at a gun show here in a week or so. Here is my plan for the old soviet weapon:

A new stock: http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/FT-MOSIN-NAGANT-MBC-PL-F-p/400-258.htm

I plan on cutting off the bolt handle and machining a new one, then weld it back onto the piece.

My plan is to completely remove the iron sights. I want to chuck up the barrel and turn it down past the dove tail that way the barrel is nice and smooth. I will be sacrificing an inch of barrel length but owell. Then I'm gonna throw some threads onto it for a muzzle break. I haven't found a nice break yet.

I'm gonna sand blast the whole thing and blu it.

It must have a nice bi pod.... it must.

Of course it will have a nice scope on it. Not really sure what I am going to do with the scope mount but I want it to be directly attached to the receiver. So I will probably machine my own and come up with a way of attaching it to the receiver myself.

I also plan on welding a ring to the back of the bolt to make operating the safety easier. http://www.gswagner.com/mosin-nagant/safe/safe-close.jpg
Except mine will be thicker and it will be welded to the edge, not to the face.

Well, what do y'all think of my future tack driver plans? Think it'll turn out nice? Anything you would add?

"This is my rifle, this is my gun." "This is for fighting, this is for fun." -Full Metal Jacket

"I joined the Navy to drink in foreign countries and fornicate." -unknown

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-24-2012, 09:55 PM   #2

Liked 225 Times on 176 Posts
Likes Given: 228

All I can recommend is to buy a second one, if you don't already, and don't change a thing about it so you can still have an original.

I'm gonna stop you right there, you just said an AR-15 is a high-powered rifle. It is obvious you don't know anything about guns and I shall ignore anything you say from this point on.

Old 03-24-2012, 10:19 PM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I already have one with all matching serial numbers. It is gonna stay the way it is.

"This is my rifle, this is my gun." "This is for fighting, this is for fun." -Full Metal Jacket

"I joined the Navy to drink in foreign countries and fornicate." -unknown

Old 03-25-2012, 12:10 AM   #4

Liked 48 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 44

A timney trigger would be one of the best accurizing mods you can do and you get a nice thumb safety with it.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling, which thinks nothing is worth war, is worse. A man who has nothing which he cares more about than his own personal safety is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless he is made free and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stuart Mill
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of
Paul.