Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Cross-dominant shooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2013, 12:39 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 24 Times on 19 Posts

Default Cross-dominant shooting

I am one of the unlucky few that am cross-dominant. Right-handed but left-eyed dominant. There is no problem shooting handguns or shotguns but rifles seem to give me fits. In the military I was able to compensate by adjusting my DOPE accordingly. I've tried shooting southpaw a bit. Are there any tips anybody has?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-13-2013, 01:02 AM   #2

Liked 903 Times on 475 Posts
Likes Given: 637

Shoot off your left shoulder as one of my sons and grandsons do. No problem. I don't have a dominant eye which is rare in men. I can shoot off either shoulder with any gun. Makes no difference to me. Killed lots of critters off my left shoulder and right. When they show up I shoot off my right or left side. Same to me.

USMC 74-78

Old 07-13-2013, 01:06 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 439 Times on 266 Posts
Likes Given: 147

I am right handed. When shooting a handgun I aim with my left eye, when shooting a rifle, I use my right. I wouldn't fight it. good luck

You don't have to remember the truth
NRA Member

Old 07-13-2013, 01:13 AM   #4

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

I'm left handed right eye dominant and shoot both left and right handed. It takes a little getting used to but it's really not hard. I think left hand people are more used to adapting though being the entire world is right handed. I mean, they don't even give us real scissors in grade school. Those lefty things can't cut warm butter

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

VoxRomantic Likes This 
Old 07-13-2013, 02:40 AM   #5
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1155 Times on 667 Posts
Likes Given: 556

I'm Right handed but left eye dominant,and have always shot rifle's and shotguns Left handed,but also do shoot Right handed/right eyed. I shoot pistol's with either hand/eye. It just takes practice,and finding out just what technique's will work for you.

Lifetime Member-
NRA
Texas State Rifle Association
North American Hunting Club

Old 07-13-2013, 02:50 AM   #6

Liked 34 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by limbkiller View Post
Shoot off your left shoulder as one of my sons and grandsons do. No problem. I don't have a dominant eye which is rare in men. I can shoot off either shoulder with any gun. Makes no difference to me. Killed lots of critters off my left shoulder and right. When they show up I shoot off my right or left side. Same to me.
I have been working on shooting pistols left handed, and the last time to the range, noticed that I was using my left eye. May have to try a rifle on my left shoulder.

As for jarhead, good luck. Sounds like a good reason to put rounds down range. I've been told that you can work on using your non-dominant eye by using an eye patch. The cop that put on my cc class told us that they had beat eye dominance this way. Not something that I have done myself, just something I have been told.

Old 07-13-2013, 03:16 AM   #7
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1316 Times on 689 Posts
Likes Given: 606

Jarhead, this isn't a perfect solution, but one I worked up for a client with same problem. I used an offset scope mount like you sometimes see on military rifles so the scope clears the action and ejecting cartridges. With spacers and a large enough ocular lens on the scope, the lean over you have to do to aim is much easier. Besides the ocular lens being larger (actual mm measurement), my client found that a longer eye relief on the scope made it more tolerant to this setup. It looks a little strange, but it worked flawlessly and stayed on zero. Only other thing that allows you to use stock rifle platforms is learn to shoot left-handed.

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Old 07-13-2013, 04:43 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 701 Times on 457 Posts
Likes Given: 1925

Right handed left eye dominate here.

I shoot a handgun very well, can't shoot a rifle to save my life though

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Member - NRA, NAGR

Old 07-14-2013, 12:47 AM   #9
jac

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

How could I figure what eye is dominant I shoot right handed with both eyes open right now

Old 07-14-2013, 02:34 AM   #10

Liked 34 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by jac View Post
How could I figure what eye is dominant I shoot right handed with both eyes open right now
If you are hitting on target, I wouldn't worry about it, as that is a very good thing. If your not doing so hot, I would try using only your right eye only. If you are better, go with it. If not, try your left eye.

For the most part, its not a big deal with a pistol, but the OP is having a hard time with rifles because of this. Good luck.
James