Could you help me identify? :)
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Could you help me identify? :)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2010, 09:20 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Could you help me identify? :)

Greetings!

Just wondering if you firearms experts could help me identify this .270?

It's listed in a local classified at $350 - called and the owner said no writing appears anywhere? Looks to be a mauser action of some sort. Is it worth bothering with or just a run of the mill sporterized mauser?

Thanks all.

001.jpg  

Last edited by Buglemfar; 09-05-2010 at 09:38 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-05-2010, 09:57 PM   #2

Liked 710 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 730

Run of the Mill? It could have been many different models originally. Can't tell which from the pic of the bottom metal. Looks to be a standard 1960's build, but it also could be an FN or Husqvarna. The ball on the handle looks to be a threaded type. Bolt looks to be part white, part blued, hard to tell from the pic. What is the scope?
Sorry, I'm a Mauser type of guy. So many variations, so little cash.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 09-05-2010, 10:30 PM   #3

Thanks for your response jpattersonnh, not sure what type of scope it wears as I didn't think to ask on the phone. Guess I always assume scopes add little value to rifles on the used market.

Yeah, I should have chosen better words regarding mausers - they are fine-working, strong actions. It seems people stay away from sporterized mauser's unless they are "built right" and I wouldn't know a good one from a poor one.

The kid just needs quick cash and said he would take $350 or best offer so would this be worth pursuing? What is a "screaming deal" as it were?

Thanks!

Old 09-05-2010, 10:50 PM   #4

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

I would low ball him at $250 and see if he takes it.

Hell it is a mauser it will shoot good. It is a 270 a great caliber. I don't see where you can go wrong with it unless it is junk and the head space is so off it will blow your face off. I would have him meet you at a gun store and have some one do a quick looksee and check it out. If you get the ok leave the store pull $250 out of your pocket and say I got $250 is that enough. Even at $350 I think it is a good deal. I can honestly say that if I had the $350 and he asked me I would be asking about my new 270 mauser rifle.

Old 09-05-2010, 10:52 PM   #5

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Better pics?

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 09-06-2010, 01:06 AM   #6

Liked 711 Times on 380 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Off the top of my head guess would be a Weatherby

I hope I shall possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of all titles, the character of an honest man.
~George Washington

Old 09-06-2010, 01:51 AM   #7

I spoke with him again on the phone and he indicated that "Fajen" was inscribed on the butt plate. No other info but he said he would send another photo. I'll post when it arrives.

Old 09-06-2010, 02:16 AM   #8

Liked 710 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 730

Fajen is the stock manufacturer.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 09-06-2010, 02:19 AM   #9

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buglemfar View Post
I spoke with him again on the phone and he indicated that "Fajen" was inscribed on the butt plate. No other info but he said he would send another photo. I'll post when it arrives.
Fajen is the stock company. A pretty good indicator that it will be some form of sporterized military Mauser. The FN Commercial Mausers came with factory stocks, as did many of the Husqvarnas.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."