Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   correct way to shoot through scope (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/correct-way-shoot-through-scope-44163/)

ILgunman 06-21-2011 06:01 AM

correct way to shoot through scope

Hey guys, I am new to shooting with a scope. It sounds dumb, but I've never really done it before. I have heard different techniques of shooting with a scope. Can somebody direct me towards a good book or instructional video on correct shooting posture, techniques, and training.

Thanks, ILgun

c3shooter 06-22-2011 12:15 AM

Since you are from Illinois, we'll need to see your FOID before discussing guns with you.

Sorry- could not resist the cheap shot! :p

In a nutshell, consistency is the key- you want your cheek meeting the same spot on the stock each time, so your view through the scope is identical- each time.

Using a scope is actually easier than iron sights- since you have fewer points to focus on. You have brought up a lot of questions in one or two, more than can be briefly answered.

The one issue that pops up is one eye or two? I shoot with both eyes open- focusing on the scope- some folks have a hard time learning to do that.

Rather than try to instuct at long distance, not having a clue what you are shooting, and your experience level, I am going to suggest you find an Project Appleseed shoot near you, and get into that. Link for you- Project Appleseed Home

JonM 06-22-2011 12:48 AM

do appleseeds teach scope shooting?? i thought they were pretty snobish about what gun you use. i could be wrong.

ILgunman 06-22-2011 05:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c3shooter (Post 527184)
Since you are from Illinois, we'll need to see your FOID before discussing guns with you.

Sorry- could not resist the cheap shot! :p

In a nutshell, consistency is the key- you want your cheek meeting the same spot on the stock each time, so your view through the scope is identical- each time.

Using a scope is actually easier than iron sights- since you have fewer points to focus on. You have brought up a lot of questions in one or two, more than can be briefly answered.

The one issue that pops up is one eye or two? I shoot with both eyes open- focusing on the scope- some folks have a hard time learning to do that.

Rather than try to instuct at long distance, not having a clue what you are shooting, and your experience level, I am going to suggest you find an Project Appleseed shoot near you, and get into that. Link for you- Project Appleseed Home

HAH! I know man, its ridiculous. When I go over to Cabela's and pull out my FOID, they look at me like I'm from a different planet! HA! Thanks man! I just put a scope on my muzzleloader and I don't really feel like I am consistent enough to go out and try and kill a deer with it. Thanks for the info!