Considering rifle marksmanship: - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion >

Considering rifle marksmanship:

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2011, 03:07 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1008 Times on 653 Posts
Likes Given: 277

You could get a standard rifle and just add a recoil pad to increase the length of pull. It would also reduce felt recoil. Length of pull in a rifle is not as critical like it is for a shotgun. It does not sound like you will be shooting in competitions. At 300 yards wind is certainly a factor in all calibers. If all you will ever do is punch paper choose a light recoil round so you can have more enjoyment at the range.

Old 10-31-2011, 03:53 AM   #12
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7275 Times on 3870 Posts
Likes Given: 566

Howa is also the company that created the arisaka famed for its insane reciever strength.
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Old 10-31-2011, 11:24 AM   #13

Liked 1917 Times on 992 Posts
Likes Given: 1456

>(i) a folding or telescoping stock;<

Just wondering; Is a stock with an adjustable pull considered the same as a telescoping stock?

Old 10-31-2011, 01:05 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincine View Post
>(i) a folding or telescoping stock;<

Just wondering; Is a stock with an adjustable pull considered the same as a telescoping stock?
I'm not sure. If it can be adjusted without tools it might be. If it takes a wrench or a screwdriver you're probably okay.

A common trick for people who build M4-like carbines is to adjust the stock to they length they want and then pin and epoxy it in place so it remains fixed.

Dave

Old 10-31-2011, 07:25 PM   #15

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I'm 6'1" and I don't have any problems shooting my Savage 12 LRPV which is a .223 rifle. Like others have said, there are add on recoil pads that effectively increase the LOP of any stock. They are custom built for many rifles. You wouldn't really need something to take the recoil of a .223 or a .243 but the length could help you. Personally I don't think you would have a problem with a rifle that has the normal LOP (13.5") with a recoil pad added (should increase the LOP but .5" to .75"). I have long arms in addition to being nearly as tall as you (and I'm not one of those people that add 2" to their height when asked about it ).

I can shoot 2" groups consistently at a quarter mile with my Savage. It came from the factory with a heavy barrel and a great stock (H-S Precision) and an even better trigger (a target AccuTrigger). Rifles like these are generally more accurate than the person pulling the trigger. I know mine is. I shoot off the shelf ammo too. Black Hills makes the best that I've found and it isn't all that expensive.

BTW there are plenty of people who shoot a .223 1000 yards and more. It's not as easy as doing it with a .308 but it certainly can be done. I've never had the chance to try personally since my range is limited to a quarter of a mile.

Mainly my point is that there are some very nice rifles around (made by several different companies). I like Savage and CZ (and I own both because I like them) because they have excellent triggers but so does Sako and Tikka. Sako is generally more expensive for the same amount of accuracy IMO but they are excellent rifles. I like Savage because you can get a great rifle at a decent price plus you can build your own rifle adding whatever parts you want too. For example changing out a barrel is about as easy as it gets on a Savage. Most guns require a gunsmith for that job but not Savage. Just a couple of tools and some quickly learned know how and you can DIY.

The thing that should determine what caliber you want is what you're going to do with the rifle. If you're shooting targets a .223 is fine out to at least 600 yards even for people who are just learning. For longer distances bigger calibers are better but that .223 can reach out there with more practice. If you plan to hunt what will you be hunting? Varmints are a lot easier to kill than an elk. So if you can give us a little more info it should help us help you with a caliber choice.

Old 10-31-2011, 07:57 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff56 View Post
I'm 6'1" and I don't have any problems shooting my Savage 12 LRPV which is a .223 rifle. . (snip) . . I've never had the chance to try personally since my range is limited to a quarter of a mile.
Thanks, this helps a lot.

Old 11-01-2011, 03:41 AM   #17

Liked 3306 Times on 1877 Posts
Likes Given: 2384

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincine View Post
Thanks, this helps a lot.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxx

Last edited by therewolf; 11-02-2011 at 01:46 PM. Reason: troll response

Old 11-01-2011, 09:27 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by therewolf View Post
What's your intended purpose, merely punching paper?If you get a rifle chambered in 5.56, you can punch paper with .223, then step up to 5.56 for all but the largest of game on this continent.
Really? This is useful. Thanks.

Old 11-01-2011, 11:16 AM   #19

Liked 157 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 119

This is my Savage Model 10-FP in .308. It will do 99.9% of what you are looking to accomplish with a rifle. The rifle as you see it is totally box stock, and runs around $1,000.00 set up the way you see it.

Considering rifle marksmanship: - General Rifle Discussion

Old 11-01-2011, 12:14 PM   #20

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by therewolf

What's your intended purpose, merely punching paper?

If you

get a rifle chambered in 5.56, you can punch paper with .223,

then step up to 5.56 for all but the largest of game on this continent.
Perhaps you care to explain what you mean by "step up to 5.56" from .223. Frankly it makes no sense.